Sign in to follow this  
helen 72

CCTV OVER BOUNDARY

Hello Everyone :

Recently we have observed our neighbour sweeping windfall leaves into our back garden along with his own garden waste taking rubbish out of his bin and sweeping it over our boundary. They also cut the edge well over the boundary line, which over the years we have asked them not to do so and the last 3 years asked them in writing. The neighbour replies he cannot help it if their hedge cutters slips, and if we don’t like it take them to court.

We have never seen eye-to-eye with these neighbours as we refuse to have our lives controlled by bullies over the years we have encountered verbal abuse harassment and much more, which the police have advised us to take a private prosecution. Also over the past 12 weeks we have had a total of £ 950.00 damage to our car which is parked on the road, we haven’t a clue who’s behind it we no the police cannot be everywhere.

We have CCTV fitted, but no camera records-films past our boundary or on to the street.

Could anyone please advise? We would come under English UK law.

1) Can we record with our CCTV on to the public highway to film our car. As this rain of vandalism could last another year. We did ask the police but as normal less than helpful said we should ask a solicitor.

2) Do I have the right to record our neighbours with CCTV them putting their rubbish over the boundary. I.e. recording over the boundary.

3) I know we don’t fall under data protection as this is a normal house

We have suffered from these neighbours for so many years now. Please if anyone as got some good advise we would be very grateful.

Thanks

Helen 72

Well, I don't know the laws over there but from reading other post here, I think you have more leeway than you think.

I'd check it out with a lawyer to be sure but I believe you have every right to record over your boundary as long as you aren't invading there personal privacy like through the window or such. what someone does out in public view is fair game.

Good luck to you and please let us know how it goes. I hate people that bully other folk just because they think they can get away with it.

Cheers,

John

hi helen. yes recording your car is fine (you are watching something that belongs to you) as far as boundary try and have 80% of the image on your side this will cover you for not being classed as spying on them.

two things you can do to cover yourself. once your system is setup just make a copy of your footage and give it to your local crime officer showing what you intend recording. then if he complains about you recording on his boundary. you can tell him to request a copy of your footage from the crime officer.

keeping your system legal is better for you.

and dont put up any cctv signs.

having bad neighbours is never a good thing. do you know if the neighbour is renting / council house or bought