myplace46

IP cams ver. Megapixel

Am I correct in assuming that just because a camera is called an "IP" camera doesn't necessarily mean its a digita cam like a 1.3 or higher pixel rating?

Some of the advertisements I read arwe a little confusing.

Thanks,

John

IP is the transport protocol a network camera uses. The term is often used interchangeably with "MP" (megapixel), but you're correct, an IP camera isn't necessarily megapixel. Many manufacturers have lower-resolution (such as VGA, or 640x480) cameras that use IP rather than NTSC/PAL analog signals to send their video.

There are some advantages to this, particularly if you're already using a number of IP cameras but need some advantages of a few lower-resolution cameras (better low-light performance, lower cost, etc.), but for the most part, IP is used primarily because analog video has a limit to the resolution it allows.

IP is the transport protocol a network camera uses. The term is often used interchangeably with "MP" (megapixel), but you're correct, an IP camera isn't necessarily megapixel. Many manufacturers have lower-resolution (such as VGA, or 640x480) cameras that use IP rather than NTSC/PAL analog signals to send their video.

There are some advantages to this, particularly if you're already using a number of IP cameras but need some advantages of a few lower-resolution cameras (better low-light performance, lower cost, etc.), but for the most part, IP is used primarily because analog video has a limit to the resolution it allows.

Thank you Matt, That's what I thought.

I appreciate you helping figure through all this maze.

John