troy6363

Do I need a license to install cctv in TN

I have been all over the web including the website for TN gov concerning if I need a license to install cctv in Memphis, TN. I cannot get a answer. I guess I could call to find out. Does anyone know or can help me find out. I am only installing but not monitoring like an alarm company

I have been all over the web including the website for TN gov concerning if I need a license to install cctv in Memphis, TN. I cannot get a answer. I guess I could call to find out. Does anyone know or can help me find out. I am only installing but not monitoring like an alarm company

I would suspect at minimum you'll need to have a business license, since you're receiving money for goods.

I've seen a few computer companies in Michigan doing cctv work under the disguise of network security, and they don't have a burglar alarm license within the state.

Try this link. Seems you'll need a license.

http://tn.gov/commerce/boards/asc/FAQ.shtml#Q1

Thanks, I've still been meaning to look more into this. We of course have a business license in TN for the computer repair business I run.

Here in Canada, Ontario more specifically I run mine mixed in with my computer security business, everything I have seen suggest because it is low voltage stuff and because I am not providing monitoring I do not require any alarm licencing nor any electrical stuff.

Yes you need a license to work as a CCTV installer Burglar Alarm installer Fire Alarm installer Access Control installer. You are in violation of state law with a fine of up to $5,000.00 per violation. Here is the link

http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0090/0090-01.pdf

You also have to have a Shelby County low voltage license to pull low voltage wire in Memphis and Shelby County.

You are absolutely not allowed to install cctv, alarms etc.... Even if you do not monitor them or if they are not monitored.

There is a specific license needed to install any/all of CCTV, Alarms etc...

Your computer license does not cover this.

Also know in order to obtain the license, you have to provide proof you worked for a licensed alarm installer for 5 Years.

You have to have 5 years of work proof before they allow you to test for the license.

Only reason I haven't started a CCTV business.