blake

No backilighting until motion lights come on

So if the residential site your installing cameras on has very little to no light until their motion lights come on,do you professionals still go with no ir cameras since you are the subject matter experts or do you install cameras with ir just to (a) be on the safe side and or (b) to make them happy if they claim they "must have" ir?

Outdoor Motion lights (a) dont work great, (b) dont always work, © false alarm, (d) bulbs blow and replacement is not always a priority to the client

oh yeah, ofcourse I suggest IR when it is low light.

I would leave it up the client if they have motion lights and want to depend only on them for light, or use IR incase they dont work. If you are using TDN Bullet cameras you have little choice anyway, most only come with IR.

I understand there are many different ways to go about it,i just like to get a professional opinion on things because i know nothing about it.So as i continue on my learning journey, the first place i come to is here where a lot of cctv professionals are.

Hey Rory if you have a moment could you send me a pm, i have a question for you..

I no longer accept PMs on this forum.

Please contact me through my website.

Sorry for any inconvenience, Thanks.

Motion lights can be good, but they can also give you this when they come on-

nightexteriorlighton2-1.jpg

Different camera with IR and no additional light-

danatdoornight1-1.jpg

The first pic I'm blasted in the face with light and no amount of picture tweaking can get useful ID, and I'm wearing eye glasses in the shot. Not one frame of that footage was useful. The second pic at my home gives a totally useful profile shot for ID'ing, including the clothes and glasses.

Dan

To be fair IR can do the same thing if you point it right at a persons face.

The key is in the positioning of the spotlight.

Eg. inside a store, here is a single spotlight, left is before the light activates.

PS. this is from 7 years ago ... old Kalatel DVR over the network.

spotlight_in_store_eg-1.png

I see what you mean Rory.I've noticed in residential settings,homeowners typically aim the motion lights a little low.So Dan's issue can be resolved by aiming his lights a little higher and or further left or right to spread the light pattern a little better.

I see what you mean Rory.I've noticed in residential settings,homeowners typically aim the motion lights a little low.So Dan's issue can be resolved by aiming his lights a little higher and or further left or right to spread the light pattern a little better.

They may be using the wrong bulbs for the position as well. Standard thread-base PAR bulbs come in a wide variety of coverage patterns, from very wide floods, to very tight spots.

They may be using the wrong bulbs for the position as well. Standard thread-base PAR bulbs come in a wide variety of coverage patterns, from very wide floods, to very tight spots.

Thanks Soundy i'm making a mental note of that.So in this case would halogen flood fixtures be a better fit than par flood fixtures?

True- all that could help but not enough. Problem is the motion light was there first- a two bulb fixture and the bulbs are aimed wide. And then the camera was installed poorly, imo, with no consideration of the problem to come. Just be aware of such things when motion lights are part of the equasion work the situation accordingly.

Thanks Soundy i'm making a mental note of that.So in this case would halogen flood fixtures be a better fit than par flood fixtures?

Hard to say exactly without knowing the site and location. Just FYI, "par" stands for "parabolic reflector" - your basic screw-in flood/spot bulbs. Any you look at should state the coverage angle on the packaging.