troy6363

UPS suggestions

Hello all. Can anyone suggest what types of UPS are most commonly used for cctv systems. I guess if a thief decided to cut the power to a business or home, the cctv system would still function. How long will the UPS supply power to the system? What size is most common to use or is it a personal preference?

Hello all. Can anyone suggest what types of UPS are most commonly used for cctv systems. I guess if a thief decided to cut the power to a business or home, the cctv system would still function. How long will the UPS supply power to the system? What size is most common to use or is it a personal preference?

some people use standard computer UPSs. this (in my opinion) is stupid, because 99% of the time the equipment will be running on 12vDC or 24vAC so converting it up to 240V from the 12V battery in the UPS only for it to be converted down again is very inefficient.

you can get cctv PSUs that have 240/120V AC input and then they have 4-20 outputs that are normally at 12VDC (sometimes 13.8V) and also has connections for a battery. if the power is cut the battery(s) take over.

for the DVR if it is a dvr with 12V input you can use a 12v battery backed up PSU at the correct amperage. if it is 240/120V then you will have to use a computer styleUPS.

sorry is my post makes no sense. a n tired and stuff but happy xmas!

APC has decent UPS but as mentioned the average consumer one wont last that long.

I only use a UPS if the client has a generator, without it they need to spent alot for battery backup that will last (and cant jimmy rig a car battery for a customer, but you could try it for yourself LOL). Otherwise main concern should at least be voltage protection using the voltage regulator by itself, or built into a UPS.

I only use a UPS if the client has a generator, without it they need to spent alot for battery backup that will last (and cant jimmy rig a car battery for a customer, but you could try it for yourself LOL).

I won't be trying anything with a car battery. I like my eyes and having normal skin.. LOL

I use an APC from staples- a decent one with surge protection but nothing elaberate. I have the dvr and monitor hooked up to it, as well as the cameras. I wouldn't get much time with an extended period of power loss, but our power outages are almost always the short interruptions- couple minutes or so. The UPS allows me to power down the dvr properly, which is my primary concern. I'm not looking to keep everything powered for days, just to keep the system up for the short losses and proper powering down. This has been argued and debated before but I would suggest not getting too hung up on it. If you want one, get one. For the small interruptions and power glitches they are useful, in my experience.

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess if the customer is really concerned about someone cutting the power to shut down the cameras then they should look into getting a generator

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess if the customer is really concerned about someone cutting the power to shut down the cameras then they should look into getting a generator

A burglar is not going to cut the power and then come back 12 hours later to rob the place. If a burglar cuts the power, it is far more likely they will be in and out is less than 30 minutes. Providing 30 to 60 minutes of battery backup is relatively inexpensive, and far less expensive than getting a generator.

Best,

Christopher

Any business really concerned about security should have a generator anyway.

Perhaps you live in an area where power outages are extremely common, and that explains the high number of generators. However, given that you install the more affordable CCTV cameras because IP cameras are far too expensive for the businesses where you live, it's difficult to believe that these same businesses are installing generators because a burglar may cut the power.

Best,

Christopher

Perhaps you live in an area where power outages are extremely common, and that explains the high number of generators. However, given that you install the more affordable CCTV cameras because IP cameras are far too expensive for the businesses where you live, it's difficult to believe that these same businesses are installing generators because a burglar may cut the power.

Best,

Christopher

Chief you have no idea what I do for a living.

But keep guessing, it is funny.

Used to use APC. Now I use Cyberpower. You should be able to estimate how much time you need using any of the on line capacity calculators. Figure on 60 minutes and you'll be fine.

As a bonus, connect the UPS to your PC and set it up to send an email if/when the power goes out. I know that the last people to target my house started with trying to cut the power. They gave up the idea when they saw the cameras. The point is, if the power goes out, I want to know.

If you are using an internet based notification system, like I am, you need to make sure that the full data connection is on a UPS - router, firewall, network switch, etc. No sense in trying to send an email that says "Help! The bad guys cut the power." if your internet connection goes down with the power.

Edited by Guest

As a bonus, connect the UPS to your PC and set it up to send an email if/when the power goes out.

+1

Our power is very stable here, but it recently went out when I was away on travel. I was notified via text message when the power went out and was able to monitor the premises remotely until power was restored.

Best,

Christopher

Yea, I have used the models similar to bpzle's - they are perfect for simple UPS setup with 20+ minutes of power with 8-ch DVR, cameras, etc.

Bigger DVRs with multiple HDDs will last like 20-30, but my tiny Qvis Zeus goes more than 30 with the cheap CyberPower I have.

Biggest deal is preventing problems with <1m events, like flickering, brownouts, etc. But they are still useful when you have an extended outage.

Oh, and guys never forget to set your DVRs to turn back on after losing power!!