Louie

Ethernet over power to network my dvr?

Would using a ethernet over power adapter give me full functionality for network i.e: local viewing, firmware updates, remote viewing, enabling a static IP for the DVR? Just wondering, it would make life a lot easier installing an adapter, then having to run a hardwire line from point A to point B. Thanks, everyone. Louie

Should work fine, just remember that you want the two adapters to be on the same power phase, or you'll have extremely limited speed.

Does the term "power phase" = "circuit"? If my router was in a masterbed room upstairs on one side of the house and the DVR was located downstairs in a different side of house, then the chances of me hitting the same power phase would be 1:1,000,000,000 right. LOL

Sorry, not the same phase... the same leg (used the wrong terminology, my bad). In North America at least, most houses have single-phase power with two legs - you get 120V across one leg to neutral, or 240V between the two legs. Some outlets are split - in a kitchen in particular, the top and bottom of an outlet will be on separate legs. In the breaker panel, each alternating breaker will be on a separate leg.

So it's quite possible to be on the same leg at opposite ends of the house.

Thanks for the follow up buddy. Going to try out the test in a week. I'll post the results when I get it.

I've used ethernet over power before, worked fine and speed was good. Yes, keep the modules on the same half of the split phase. Otherwise it has to go all the way up to the transformer to talk back to the other module. In old homes, or homes with hack electrical work, the speed will be less due to crappy wiring techniques (like loose screws!)

Also, I have seem reduced speeds when big loads come online (AC, Dryer, etc) presumably due to more noise on the line. Fat inductive loads like chest freezers on the same circuit of your module will reduce speed more.

All in all, it was still fast with my setup, so not a big deal. Just slowed down huge file transfers.

Im just wondering if a USB wireless dongle would also work, not sure if it would, chances are your DVR has an underlying linux build it may be able to use a USB wireless card. Might be a little cheaper.

Im just wondering if a USB wireless dongle would also work, not sure if it would, chances are your DVR has an underlying linux build it may be able to use a USB wireless card. Might be a little cheaper.

Even if it did, how would you select the access point and/or enter security keys?