indytechie

Condo Building System Design

Hi everyone,

New to the forums and greatly appreciate everything that's been documented here - an unbelievable resource.

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on the following scenario:

We currently have a 4-Channel Analog GE DVR (Digia II) that desperately needs to be upgraded.

Thus, we're thinking there are a few things to purchase:

1) NVR Unit (Probably 16 channel) - hoping for something at or around $1500. Not opposed to building something, so long as it has an appliance-like feel and can be operated/supported by someone other than myself. Open to used/gray market.

2) Adapters for analog camera to new IP network: Is there such thing as a generic adapter?

3) Additional (IP) cameras for the new network: Would love recommendations for indoor/outdoor dome (with or without PTZ). Hoping to spend around $300 for most, and < $500 for a PTZ. Open to used/gray market

Being a condo community (and myself being the resident that happens to be a techie by day), we're pretty tight on money, but I'm hoping some elbow grease will make up the gap.

Oh, and lastly, we will need to maintain an analog output if possible. We have the existing system setup to broadcast on Channel 2 in the building, and we'd really love to maintain that.

Thanks in advance!

PS: After spending some more time on the forums, I've got some additional thoughts.

Between QNAP and Nuuo, any preferences for an NVR? I think both would fit the price range.

Still unsure on the camera direction.

And for Analog->IP conversion, would the AXIS 240Q do the trick? I presume it takes the 4 analog signals and broadcasts them on 4 separate IP's for the NVR to see?

Thanks again!

Hello,

As you stated you need upgrade analogue cctv to incoporated the IP system. I am wondering do you have experiecne to deal with the system.

Becasue it is not easy even for old hand sometimes is dreads to face louse and complex enviroment. If you insist to do, you better consider HYbrid DVR which allow hook up both. There are some imperative thing you better to check ,one does the hybrid DVR compatible your IP cam( all will show compliance Brand list on official webiste). Second you have to assess how many bandwidth to gobble those video stream( you know basicaly even entry level 1.3M IP cam will souck up all the pipeline and HDD space).

as above listed, you could estimate your mantain fee on those WAN to the telecom.If you point is based on remote via mobile device now most DVR is featued and you just set up functions you prefer to carry out. E.g. motion detector, event, ...

The setup should be a piece of cake... I'll just use the Axis 240Q to bridge/present the 3 analog cameras. As to bandwidth, we have a 24 port Cisco PoE switch that shouldn't even flinch with a handful of cameras on it...

I'm still uncertain on what cameras to use...

Also - has anyone ever purchased a Dahua NVR? I see their DVR's (relabeled and otherwise) everywhere, but no info on their NVR's...

Thx!

Hello,

As you stated you need upgrade analogue cctv to incoporated the IP system. I am wondering do you have experiecne to deal with the system.

Becasue it is not easy even for old hand sometimes is dreads to face louse and complex enviroment. If you insist to do, you better consider HYbrid DVR which allow hook up both. There are some imperative thing you better to check ,one does the hybrid DVR compatible your IP cam( all will show compliance Brand list on official webiste). Second you have to assess how many bandwidth to gobble those video stream( you know basicaly even entry level 1.3M IP cam will souck up all the pipeline and HDD space).

as above listed, you could estimate your mantain fee on those WAN to the telecom.If you point is based on remote via mobile device now most DVR is featued and you just set up functions you prefer to carry out. E.g. motion detector, event, ...

The setup should be a piece of cake... I'll just use the Axis 240Q to bridge/present the 3 analog cameras. As to bandwidth, we have a 24 port Cisco PoE switch that shouldn't even flinch with a handful of cameras on it...

I'm still uncertain on what cameras to use...

Also - has anyone ever purchased a Dahua NVR? I see their DVR's (relabeled and otherwise) everywhere, but no info on their NVR's...

Thx!

Hello,

I admire your courage, but yu must check the NVR or Hybrid fro verefy compliance IP barnd list. Or trust me you will .....

Hello,

You are way over exaggerating bandwidth issues

Hello,

Do u so confident that? Maybe you would say default lower resolution, if you do why should take Megapixel camera, you could estimate at least 10 units 1.3M to output 720P video stream. I know you are probably sales rep for some brand. Pls...

Edited by Guest

Hello,

Do u so confident that?

Yeah Mike, you sure about that? I couldn't even understand what he wrote there...

you know basicaly even entry level 1.3M IP cam will souck up all the pipeline and HDD space

Do u so confident that?

i think your getting a bit mixed up (remember dedicated network)

you know basicaly even entry level 1.3M IP cam will souck up all the pipeline and HDD space

Do u so confident that?

i think your getting a bit mixed up (remember dedicated network)

Thanks Bro.

Hello,

Do u so confident that? Maybe you would say default lower resolution, if you do why should take Megapixel camera, you could estimate at least 10 units 1.3M to output 720P video stream. I know you are probably sales rep for some brand. Pls...

Sorry no sales rep here ..... Integrator that has been successfully deploying HD/Megapixel solutions ranging from 1 to 200+ cameras for the last 5 years.

The 24 port Cisco PoE switch which he is planing on using can easily handle 24 megapixel cameras with 10Mbps streams

Thanks guys - any thoughts on the QNAP vs NUUO and what a decent (eg: budget, but not too poor) starter camera might be?

I guess the kicker on the bandwidth issue was it being a closed/internal network.