oderus1671

snowy lines on one camera

hello all, i have one cam on my 4 cam set-up that suddenly went snowy. the cams are ran with siamese coax, approximately 60 ft. all other cams are crystal clear. what should i check? its ran to an Avermedia 7000 PCI dvr card on dedicated pc. thanks all!

544869856_sidedeck.jpg.920876edbb0db7660a84222bbb343b35.jpg

Looks like electrical interference, probably from a motor or something of the sort, something that's got some arcing going on. Does it do this all the time?

probably most likely to be the PSU/camera.

have there been any electrical storms before the camera went funny? (lightning, brownouts, blackouts)

thanks, it seems to do it all the time, no evidence of any motor noise form any appliances or anything like that.

hi. on the 7000 card you are using pig tail leads. most of the time its not a problem but if all the BNCs are touching that can give you a problem.

another is the pigtail its self you have 2 types the one with the yellow video out has to be in the top slot

thanks for all the advice, i will start this weekend with the connections at the camera, as they are exposed to the elements. then i'll look at swapping the cameras around to see if the cable or cam is bad. if it happens to be the connectors at the cam, what would be a good way to weatherproof the connections? currently i am using a product called "liquid electrical tape" or something to that effect. thanks!

thanks, it seems to do it all the time, no evidence of any motor noise form any appliances or anything like that.

another is the pigtail its self you have 2 types the one with the yellow video out has to be in the top slot

thanks, i made sure of this when installed in the PC. i've heard a lot of folks had trouble with just that and made sure i set it up as you recommend.

have there been any electrical storms before the camera went funny? (lightning, brownouts, blackouts)

not to my knowledge, we have had a rather wet start to winter though. i'm starting to wonder about the bnc and power connections at the cam now. i will check them and post results. thanks!

not to my knowledge, we have had a rather wet start to winter though. i'm starting to wonder about the bnc and power connections at the cam now. i will check them and post results. thanks!

is it a cheapo camera? i have had problems with cheap cams in the past where power has been removed and then when power is restored i had problems like this. took hours of 'fault finding' before i actually restarted the camera and all was fine

I got the issue figured out. Apparently, the BNC connector had a bad seal against water, and there was a slight amount of corrosion on the outer part of it. After a bit of scraping and fine sandpaper, I plugged it in and its good as new! " title="Applause" /> So next trip to town I will get some new sealant for all the connections just to be safe.

What do ya'll use for sealing your connections?

Thanks guys for all the troubleshooting help, your the best!

I got the issue figured out. Apparently, the BNC connector had a bad seal against water, and there was a slight amount of corrosion on the outer part of it. After a bit of scraping and fine sandpaper, I plugged it in and its good as new! " title="Applause" /> So next trip to town I will get some new sealant for all the connections just to be safe.

What do ya'll use for sealing your connections?

Most compression connectors are designed to be weather-tight.

Get some dielectric grease, commonly sold at auto parts stores as battery post grease or at RV shops for putting in trailer wiring connectors, and put a bit of that inside the connector (both when assembling it, and where the two fit together). Give it either a tight wrap of *quality* electrical tape, or use some of this:

brushonelectricaltape-1.png