PaulsonLaw

cat5? cat6? utp? stp? sstp? AGH!!!! PLZ Help!

I know a good bit about this stuff but....

I'm installing a Zmodo....

I have

4 cameras 300' out w/ conduit & 14/2UG, all on same pole...

4 other in one run of poles, 100' 250' & 385' out w/ conduit & 14/2UG

I want clear pics, but the cost is racking up...

So, What should I get to run in the conduit? All 4 on 1 cable?

Using passive balons...

Thanks!

Also, this is video only.

I also picked up a video/audio/IR over cat5. This will be running 350', so not sure if utp cat5 is best?

Is that 14/2 feeding lighting on the poles? You DO NOT want to run low- and high-voltage in a conduit together - besides it being against code in most areas, it's just inviting interference into your video. I mean, I've seen it done, it would probably work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

To the other part of the question: yes, you can run four video signals over a single Cat5 (or Cat3 or Cat6 for that matter). How are you powering the cameras? 300' is much to far to power one 12v IR camera over even three pairs of UTP.

The 120v 14/2 is running alongside the conduit & runs up inside the pole, separate from the conduit completely. This is only for the cameras now, a 12v charger for an electric gate maybe someday...

So I can run 4 cams up to 385' on UTP cat5 in conduit w/ a 14/2 running alongside said conduit?

Ok, spoke w/ Zmodo tech support.

They said running up to 400' cat5UTP, I should see no problem running 4 video feeds down it. SO long as power is not right next to it.

I told them I am running 14/2 along side the cams for 120ac to the poles, they said use shielded conduit??? I said I already have regular conduit, they said bury the 14/2 6inches away???

So... sound juvenile but can I wrap the conduit in foil, then put the 14/2 alongside? That would be better than 2 trenches....

Shat,,,,

Solid or stranded? Anyone?

Doesn't matter. Ideally you'd run solid core in the conduit and terminate it to something permanent on each side then use stranded patch cables to make the connections to your equipment.

If you're only looking to buy one though, get stranded. It's more flexible so you'll have less problems wiring.

Shat,,,,

Solid or stranded? Anyone?

Doesn't matter. Ideally you'd run solid core in the conduit and terminate it to something permanent on each side then use stranded patch cables to make the connections to your equipment.

If you're only looking to buy one though, get stranded. It's more flexible so you'll have less problems wiring.

Could I run solid in conduit & put balins to BNC & use the included 60' BCN cable to cameras? The poles are only 12' but can use the 60' coax if they dont drop the signal to much before the 300' cat5 run...