dmiller9

IP Cameras on Existing network or build separate network?

What is everyones opinion on putting IP Cameras on an existing network? What are the issues that might arise, security and performance? Pros and Cons?

Personally I am not for putting IP cameras on a existing network unless its an extremely small system. Just want to hear what everyone else has to say.

I think you'll find agreement that a dedicated network is always preferable, for a number of reasons: performance and security being the main ones, but not having to battle another IT person over it is another good reason.

If you DO need to use an existing network, performance of the cameras themselves actually isn't usually as much of a concern, as how the camera traffic may affect other network operations.

That's a multi faceted question.

If the network has a 10gig backbone and it's all layer 3 switches with QOS and VLANs the IP camera System isn't even a blip on the radar.

In my experience at least in the UK, some larger corporates are deploying DPI switches such as ellacoyas. Even though the network could handle the camera feeds easily, I would imagine that the use of these sort of devices within a corporate network will lead to the conflicts with IT departments that Soundy mentions.

Due to the way our broadband/bandwidth is charge for by the wholesalers in the UK, many ISPs still have low limits on usage. Although that applies mainly to external traffic and is outside the scope of internal networks, the same technology used to rate limit traffic across WANs is sometimes deployed on LANs. Im assuming in this case you would need to involve the IT departments to allow the traffic through.

in my opinion an ideal network would have seperate networks for IP Phones, Data and video. However I am not fully up to speed on vlans etc. I would also think the type of cable installed would have something to do with your decision. If it is Cat 5 instead of cat 6. Or you may have one of the few installs that are cat 7.

Depends 100% on the existing network. Talk to their IT guys, explain to them the bandwidth you'll be putting on their network and ask for a vlan to isolate the security segment.

Find out where their switches are and tell them how many drops you'll need in each IT closet as well as how much bandwidth you expect to need at each IT closet.

If they can handle the requirements, then you're fine. Otherwise, you need a separate network.

Biggest issue with having it on someone's network instead of your own is if a problem arises, you have to figure out if it's your issue or a network issue and get someone else involved to deal with it. Proving it's the network is never an easy thing to do.

It's been my experience IT guys are willing to deal with cctv cameras if you install some client software on their machines. They're control freaks, being able to watch the site is something they all want access too.