Sign in to follow this  
SEANHAWG

Milestone Crashes

Milestone is detecting my IP camera as an Onvif Conformant device. However, when I try to connect to that camera, the whole darn program crashes, every single time. Anyone else have this problem with Milestone?

Yeah

I just finished a 2 week ordeal of trying to hard flash an IP camera that I bricked by upgrading the wrong way. Anyways, I finally got it unbricked. I got it to work on NUUO, but Milestone crashed. I tried to download Avigilon free trial but I guess I gotta call for that. I just find it odd that Milestone would just crash as opposed to just sending me an error or just something like "cant connect". The whole program crashes.

Edited by Guest

I upgraded the IP camera the wrong method apparently, using the wrong port. So it just rebooted constantly (bricked). I had to get old school and get an RS-232 connector and flash it to the board. learned alot about rs-232 connectors during this time.

What camera are you using, and is it on Milestone's compatibility list? I've had problems with Milestone using the ONVIF driver that it automatically selected, rather than using the specific driver for that camera (in my case, Hikvision).

Is it the Administrator that's crashing, or the Smart Client? If you right-click on the recording server icon in the tray, and select "recording server log", what kind of messages are you seeing?

I have never seen an IP camera with an RS232 port on it.

Stardot does, they have a weather station that interfaces with it,too... In Seanhawg's case, though, I'm thinking it's more of a TTL level JTAG-type port for bootloading.

It does not have the traditional 9 pin RS-232 port on it, but it does have RX and TX inputs on the back and you can jimmy rig an RS-232 connector to it to hard flash the board to do adjust the firmware. Basically this process is only done at the factory. I'll assume that alot of other cameras have this ability to but you have never had to to do it. Normally, you would just go into the web viewer interface or the utility tool to upgrade the firmware but I was given the wrong method/firmware combo to upgrade the latest firmware and I bricked it. The firmware I was given was kind of a beta at the time and I should have uploaded it via another port, blah blah blah, dont want to go into the whole story.

But yes, it is Onvif. No its not on the compatibility list, other than being Onvif. Its a Dahua to be exact. One I've started to mess around with again. Good image quality and everything, just messing around to see what its compatible with. So far I've tested it on NUUO and works like a charm. Supposed to work with Genetec too but havent tested that. Man this incompatibility bull crap with IP cameras sucks. I love MP cameras, but one brand dont work with this, and if it does work, you will have limited this and that. Surely Onvif will start to catch on more. What do you guys think. I have used Aver cameras, Dahua, Vivotek, Acti, and Hikvision and it seems like one will work great with one platform but will not work good or at all on another.

ONVIF is more of a suggestion than a law, at this point. I've had mixed luck with ONVIF compatibility, to say the least.

You might want to try the "Universal Driver" selection in Milestone, if you can get the URL string information for the camera.

It has an RTSP string but thats really not full compatibility if you ask me. But I didnt even see an RTSP option in Milestone anyways. I've messed around alittle with the universal driver but could not get it to work. Does the universal driver use RTSP?

Basic problem with Milestone, it does not provide open RTSP support. I have bunch of cameras whose RTSP url I already know..But does not work with Milestone.

Secondly, ONVIF compatibilty is big problem with NVR software due to Envelope version mismatch with NVT ( Camera). Yeah, more over as somebody said before..ONVIF is still like a suggestion not a law

Yeah I couldnt get the RTSP thing to work either. Perhaps I am doing something wrong though, but should'nt this open platform software allow you to put a full RTSP string in there?

If you are testing NUUO for a project and need any assistance please feel free to contact me personally if there is anything I can do to help.

Zack Moore

Sr. Manager of Inside Sales

NUUO

318-603-1284