tomdlgns

need help identifying a card

i am trying to help a friend get this card working.

quick story.

a friend of mine purchased a used PC from a friend of his for cheap...not sure the price, but he needed a 'shop' computer so something basic that could get online is all he needed.

i have done some work with GeoVision cards/DVRs and when i saw the back of the PC i spotted what i believe to be a legit GeoVision card.

of course the PC was given to him with every program uninstalled. i have to assume it wasnt a reformat because the D: drive had one folder in it...'history' which i have always know to be a GeoVision thing (maybe i am wrong...but didn't GeoVision name their storage folder history?).

all of my GeoVision cards have a sticker on them identyfing the hardware/card type, but this one doesnt have it.

these are the quick pictures i took, but i am not sure if they will help.

i have the 8.5 software and i tried installing 600, 600b, 800, 900, 1120, 1240 (the numbers might be a little off i am going from memory), etc....and when i launch the program i get the 'this card doesn't match with the software....' error.

could it be that this isnt a geovision card?

my buddy did put a call into the person who he bought it from, but all that person could confirm was that the cameras were working when the computer was disconnected (business closed down and the owner was selling parts)...

any help is appreciated.

i can try to take a pic of something specific if someone needs to see a more detailed image of a certain part of the board.

thanks.

dFWbb-1.jpg

0Fz7H-1.jpg

cREzu-1.jpg

It certainly COULD be a GV... or a GV clone. If it is, that would be why the software won't recognize it.

is there any way of telling?

let's assume it is a legit GV card...does it matter which version/type i select to install?

if it does, there has to be better way to determine what type of hardware i have here.

thanks

It certainly COULD be a GV... or a GV clone. If it is, that would be why the software won't recognize it.

let's assume it is a legit GV card...does it matter which version/type i select to install?

if it does, there has to be better way to determine what type of hardware i have here.

thanks

also age can tell. your cards must be over 3 years old (you have no geo holigram) also geo mark there matrix chip with which card it is.

if you reinstall the card and run this on the system you will know if you have a clone or not.

http://www.remote-security.com/update/Detection_Tool_en8010.zip

i just ran this file on a legit system. in order to run it, i had to drop it into the GV directory.

the computer i took this ? card from doesnt have GeoVision installed.

how can i run the program to see if it is a legit card if i cant drop it into a geovision directory that doesnt exist?

thanks.

thanks

also age can tell. your cards must be over 3 years old (you have no geo holigram) also geo mark there matrix chip with which card it is.

if you reinstall the card and run this on the system you will know if you have a clone or not.

http://www.remote-security.com/update/Detection_Tool_en8010.zip

i missed the part about the matrix chip in your post.

are you saying geovision marks the chip, regardless of age, or they started marking them in the last 3 years.

all legit cards i have worked with have had a sticker identifying the type of card it is, but it has been a while since i have had my hands on a card that was older than 3 years.

i have been working with geovision cards for about 5 years, i just cant remember the exact layout of the cards off hand.

thanks.

Every GV card I've worked with has the Model name printed on the PCB, Except one old school gv250.

Thats the green PCB so its old, and its got no markings so that's either a clone, or really old like, you'll be lucky to run gv 8.11 old, your better off looking at version 7.xx software.

Another really easy identifier, is install the drivers first then go into your hardware page and see what your system recognises it as.

Gut feeling says its a clone, it doesn't look quite right to me.

Not that I want to do this but I have to ask....how do they get clone cards working?

I only ask because I know the first thing my friend will tell me is that the previous owner had it working so it must be real...

do they use generic camera software?

Thanks

Hacked drivers and/or GV software... hacked to ignore the hardware check, or reverse-engineered... it generally leads to flaky or unstable installations.

took the card/pc back to my friend and told him that i couldn't really help him.

i showed him some pictures of a legit card i had and once he saw the pictures he started to realize that something wasn't right with his card.

i figured i would post back to end this topic.

thanks for the help.