Zohan

Question using aver hybrid

hmmm, so if i'm recording on motion and i want everything to go to the nas i would set up mirroring?

How would that work if i have a 250g internal and a 2tb nas....would that work at all or is that not the right way to do it?

I want to set up as i said with everything going to nas, i will put in a 250g hard drive just so it can run the os.

an internal hard drive also will alert you to a problem both internal or external raid will give alarm and report if for somereason recording has stopped. your nas will not

how long do you want recordings for ??? smart record on 2tb nas will give you 30/40 days

Think my reply got messed up...I will ask again

Have you actually had eh series dvr record to nas without a hard driver in dvr.....mark at tech support says won't work....to me this is important, please confirm or deny, thanks

The OS in the NVR has to run on something......

If you're talking a standalone, the OS will be either on another drive, on a flash drive, or as benf puts it, baked into the motherboard. Otherwise you'd be hooped if you ever had to swap the drive.

so now im confused. if they sell you an eh series hybrid dvr without a hard drive, which is how it comes unless you order with hd or put one in yourself how does the os run?

does the dvr ship with a flash drive with os on it? how do you get os on dvr running?

i assume smart record means motion recording? 2tb would be max, most like i'd go with 1 tb.

sorry for all the questions...i'd hate to spend over 1000.00 and find out it wont do what i thought it would.

im taking this as yes it will work with a 250g hd in it but recording to a nas. but please explain the os options and how to make this work?

I also assume this has been done, not just assuming it can be done.....thanks

I gather the idea is to have completely external, possibly hidden storage... it's not a matter of NOT WANTING an internal drive, so much as not planning to need it, and so not wanting to spend the extra money for it.

I gather the idea is to have completely external, possibly hidden storage... it's not a matter of NOT WANTING an internal drive, so much as not planning to need it, and so not wanting to spend the extra money for it.

Exactly

still unclear on the os situation and if this is doable as i want to do it.

dont want to buy the dvr, nas and switch and find out it wont work.

1. Where would the os reside?

2. What if i ordered dvr with no hard drive (because aver wants ridiculous money to put in hard drive, i can get way cheaper on amazon and put in myself)....so how do i get os in that scenario?

3. Does that mirroring work if only 250g HD in dvr and 1 tb in nas...do they have to be the same size?

What if i ordered dvr with no hard drive (because aver wants ridiculous money to put in hard drive, i can get way cheaper on amazon and put in myself)....so how do i get os in that scenario?

the OS is on the dvr its only the SA units that have a plug in O/s

will you nas be off site ??? the other reason i ask about why no H/d is you will have no remote software control over your unit. no recorded footage to mobile no playback from a pc

If they give you the option to buy it without a hard drive, then I think it's pretty clear that the OS *does not* reside on a user-removable drive... and it's highly unlikely they'd use a regular hard drive internally for it as well, for reliability's sake. I think you can put that question aside.

Whether it will RUN without a drive installed is another matter... sorry, can't help ya there.

What if i ordered dvr with no hard drive (because aver wants ridiculous money to put in hard drive, i can get way cheaper on amazon and put in myself)....so how do i get os in that scenario?

the OS is on the dvr its only the SA units that have a plug in O/s

will you nas be off site ??? the other reason i ask about why no H/d is you will have no remote software control over your unit. no recorded footage to mobile no playback from a pc

Wow, good info....nas will be on site.....so for me to remote view etc, I need nas on site with hard drive in dvr?

If nas is offsite (didn't know this was a possibility) then no remote viewing?

So, I don't think anyone has said yes this works, which is the ino I'm looking for..can anyone positively confirm I can record to a nas, because this is what I was told by ts:

"Yes, that setting is available but not on the model that we have been discussing. None of our Linux based DVRs can do this. Only the Windows based units can record to mapped network drives"

in webinar now, i asked if eh series can record to a nas instead of internally.....jay from aver said no that is not an option.....

he said it will only work on their windows based units, not linux

did anyone here actually do this or has this whole thread been based on your assumptions?

in webinar now, i asked if eh series can record to a nas instead of internally.....jay from aver said no that is not an option.....

he said it will only work on their windows based units, not linux

did anyone here actually do this or has this whole thread been based on your assumptions?

jay has been on here before regarding handyviewer he was wrong then as well.

ask jay to have this removed from the nano the eb3004 nv/sa/touch i even sent you the aver link. on what aver says it can do.

Enable network storage: Select the Enable network storage check box to send the recorded video in network-attached storage.

Enable network storage: Select the Enable network storage check box to send the recorded video in network-attached storage.

on non windows based dvr's????

some models of the eb3004 look like there windows based other versions are linux....

you have done this on a WINDOWS based dvr?

on non windows based dvr's????

some models of the eb3004 look like there windows based other versions are linux....

hi none of the eh or eb have been windows based only touch sa/nv are windows.

no i have not done it on the nano but it does do network recording like all avers it a option in the data path network / onboard / or out to raid.

i dont think many people would want to go out to nas if the dvr and nas are in the same place.

are you doing it to protect the recorder from being stolen ???

yes, that is what i'd like to do.....

"i dont think many people would want to go out to nas if the dvr and nas are in the same place."

Why not, seems like the logical thing to do, and a good selling point to potential client?

Why not, seems like the logical thing to do, and a good selling point to potential client?

for a client it would not be good. not being able to watch footage away from there home. or iphone / android or record footage onto them.

the selling point f the nano is its size ... (it is only the size of a HD) it fits in your hand. no fans so can hide anywhere it is silent.

a nas will be much harder to hide than the nano.

ok, that gives a litle more info. Is there no way possible to record to nas but still be able to view from from remote pc or iphone, even if just live footage?

I dont see why it wouldnt be possible

yes they can have live view.

this is from the manual > Enable network storage: Select the Enable network storage check box to send the recorded video in network-attached storage. page 90 of the nano.

it is a $300 unit its budget your customer loose playback from the unit. amd other options like CMS

yes they can have live view.

this is from the manual > Enable network storage: Select the Enable network storage check box to send the recorded video in network-attached storage. page 90 of the nano.

which manual?

on the aver usa site they dont list any 'nano' models....with the word nano at least

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/products/overview.asp

"a nas will be much harder to hide than the nano"

not when you consider 1 cat wire to the nas + power vs 1 wire for each camera to the dvr

"another is a E-sata box (raid) install under floor or in wall away from the dvr."

esata has a wired range of only 6'...not worth it in my opinion

Reply from Jay:

Hi Ed,

Thanks again for attending the webinar today, and we always love it when people ask questions so please know you were not being a pain in any way.

The section of the manuals you are referring to is in regards to our “Remote Console.” That particular page shows you how you can use remote console on a Windows PC to connect, monitor and even record a remote DVR. The storage path and NAS storage option is for your local Windows PC and it would be a form of redundant recording at a much lower framerate (older EH series 3FPS or less, EH6216 allows up to 15FPS at CIF resolution for remote viewing).

There is unfortunately no option for NAS storage for local DVR recording on the EH Series.