I tried a logitech on VitaminD. While it "works", my Axis P1344 produces a MUCH better picture (granted it is not $50 or whatever).

Strong backlighting was a bad joke on the logitech. I also felt the logitech had a poor depth of field. And no low light capability. Anyway interesting experiment and returned.

Axis cameras are so much more flexible and can do much more.

There are inexpensive network cameras out there like Ubiquiti and Panasonic ($50-100), USB is pretty limiting. Good luck.

I just scanned this thread. I got my first IP cam after much resistance somewhere over two years ago. I, like many, thought I'd be cleverer than most and make a system with a USB camera and save myself a bunch of money on an IP camera. But, I had not found (and have not ever seen) somebody using multiple USB cameras reliably in this manner. pkoi in this thread I am sure also never had multiple cameras running reliably. Of course their image quality for moving images is poor and they are worthless at night.

I actually do have a use for one as an indoor security cam running directly at my PC, but I'm just not confident I can have one run continually and reliably, which is what I expect and get out of my IP cams. As long as my network is up, so are they.

USB has a horrendous range as well and extending it is tricky (decreasing power as you get further, meaning your device can't take as much power).

I had an Axis m1114 and Logitech webcam running side-by-side in my living room for a few months (waiting for the spring to install the Axis outdoors). The Axis was about 4-5x more expensive (Logitech was $100 and Axis $450).

Right off the bat the Axis was far superior in daytime picture quality. In low light? THAT is what separates the boys from the men. The Logitech is a piece of garbage. Useless. Even in my large open-concept family room/kitchen, a 40w light bulb provided a very nice natural looking low noise picture. The Logitech picture was in complete darkness. Even is respectable low light it had horrible motion blur.

Then there is the point others have made of an IP camera being a powerful self contained PC. I can run multiple cameras without even requiring a PC. If I was to run multiple Logitech webcams I'd need a very $powerful$ PC - and even then ... so where are the savings? My Axis also has many powerful features not available on my webcam.

My $0.2

...IP cams are a pretty competitive business. If someone could make a useful 1080P IP cam for under $100, I believe they would...

They have Max! Over the past several months I've purchased several Hiklvision DS-2CD2032-I and DS-2CD2132-I IP cameras from AliExpress for $87.00 each. They arrive within 1 to 2 weeks and low and behold...they work very well. " title="Applause" />

...IP cams are a pretty competitive business. If someone could make a useful 1080P IP cam for under $100, I believe they would...

They have Max! Over the past several months I've purchased several Hiklvision DS-2CD2032-I and DS-2CD2132-I IP cameras from AliExpress for $87.00 each. They arrive within 1 to 2 weeks and low and behold...they work very well. " title="Applause" />

Well in his defense he wrote that in April of 2012. It's truly insane how cheap some of those cameras from ali are, though. I spent $140 a couple of weeks ago for some 3 MP Hikvision turrets sourced stateside and I absolutely feel I got good product for that, but sub $100 is crazy. I wanted "now", though, and wanted to get it from the US, but I can certainly see buying a couple more at that rate from elsewhere.