Sign in to follow this  
mpovolo

DVR or DVR card- Aver EH1004H or NV5000?

I was originally going to get the DVR but sourcing in Canada was tough. I decided to go the card route with windows and now I am wondering if I made a mistake. Is there any benefit to the card route over the DVR?

thanks

I was originally going to get the DVR but sourcing in Canada was tough. I decided to go the card route with windows and now I am wondering if I made a mistake. Is there any benefit to the card route over the DVR?

thanks

if you are talking about the avr. the NV or sa are a little better than the nano 4 . just because a few more little functions the nv/sa have.

the nano is a good little hybrid and reliable and half the cost of a 5000 card. all avers now use the same software so patches and firmware are the same for everything.

if you need more than 8 cameras i would not go for the nano 16 its new and has a few problems so if you need 16 look at the eh6000

Actually I only need 4. Just trying to figure out the benefit of the NV5000 over the 4 port EH standalone linux DVR.

thanks

Actually I only need 4. Just trying to figure out the benefit of the NV5000 over the 4 port EH standalone linux DVR.

thanks

between both ...... not a lot just build price is going to be more for the NV5000 and the run costs.

the nano . fanless cheaper than if you just bought the card and graphics card.

all software is the same. all use same ip lists all use the same remote software

thanks

if you are talking about the avr. the NV or sa are a little better than the nano 4 . just because a few more little functions the nv/sa have.

the nano is a good little hybrid and reliable and half the cost of a 5000 card. all avers now use the same software so patches and firmware are the same for everything.

if you need more than 8 cameras i would not go for the nano 16 its new and has a few problems so if you need 16 look at the eh6000

what are the problems with the nano 16?

very bad fps playback. remember it started out as a 4 way. it is a good unit for home use but usless for stores shops gas stations.

its the 4 way hybrid with another 12 analog cameras

I don't have an EH, but have recently built up an NV5000 after many years of mid-range standalone DVRs.

I already had an old P4 3.0 PC to dedicate, so there were no extra costs beyond the NV5000. I'm also switching over to IP cams, so that was a bonus with the NV5000.

So, the NV5000 software is pretty good stuff - very flexible, stable, and doesn't load up the PC too much if I keep the IP framerate down. I've had it running for weeks without reboots, but I'm still fiddling with it, so I haven't had it running longer yet. I don't think I've scratched the surface on the software yet.

The remote access software on other PCs is pretty good, too. My network is mostly GB, and remote viewing of recordings is fast and easy. I'm also running the remote viewer for my Samsung DVR on the same box.

It's also possible to add another card for more IP channels, but I doubt my 8 year old CPU would handle it. So far, I've been happy with it, though I've had a few glitches here and there, like IP cam drop-outs that went away when I replaced a switch (other PCs didn't see the dropouts, only the NV5000 PC). Like anything PC based, there's a lot of complexity, and lots more to go wrong.

My standalone DVRs over the years (Aver EB1304 hybrid, Samsung SVR-440, Sony X200) have been mostly bulletproof, but you lose the flexibility of PCs, and once the vendor stops supporting them, there are no more software updates. These DVRs ran for years nonstop - literally - with no problems except the occasional HD failing. At the same time, you're stuck with the (sometimes limited) setting built into the DVR firmware. Doesn't handle daylight savings time well (like my Samsung)? Sorry, out of luck.

So, for ultimate hands-off reliability, it's hard to go wrong with a standalone, based on my experience. You lose flexibility, upgradeability, and that whole world of PC stuff, like VNC remote control, NAS access, whatever (yeah, I know, more standalones have these now). Want a ton of flexibility and a whole array of software versions you can try until your hair is strewn around your workbench? PCs are the way to go, and the NV5000 is a mature platform.

I'm sticking with the NV5000 until I can go to all IP.

So, the NV5000 software is pretty good stuff - very flexible, stable, and doesn't load up the PC too much if I keep the IP framerate down. I've had it running for weeks without reboots, but I'm still fiddling with it, so I haven't had it running longer yet. I don't think I've scratched the surface on the software yet.

i will have to send you my manual .... aver has not put half the things it can do.

It's also possible to add another card for more IP channels, but I doubt my 8 year old CPU would handle it.

you dont need another card to change to 8. just a $40 expantion card. this then gives you 4 ip and 4 analog

the nv is getting some good updates. if you are using the aver ddns then they will update but if not keep looking at the new firmware

i will have to send you my manual .... aver has not put half the things it can do.

Sounds good; that would be a huge help. I'll send you a PM with my email!

It's also possible to add another card for more IP channels, but I doubt my 8 year old CPU would handle it.

you dont need another card to change to 8. just a $40 expantion card. this then gives you 4 ip and 4 analog

the nv is getting some good updates. if you are using the aver ddns then they will update but if not keep looking at the new firmware

I've got the expansion card, but haven't actually connected it, just put a jumper on the NV5000 header to activate the extra 4 analog channels and see how it acts. Right now, I've got it showing 3 IP cams (2 1MP Vivotech IP8332s and one Arecont 5MP AV5100), and one analog cam paralleled from my old DVR. It's dropped my max frame rate on the analog cam to 3 FPS, which is a little odd - I thought I'd stay with 120 fps across 8 cams, but I'm not sure how it deals with the IP cam frame rates. They're all set at 5 fps to keep the CPU cycles down.

I was thinking about getting a second NV5000 card to go to 8 IP cams, but now I'm thinking it might make more sense to go all IP and switch to some NVR software. If I can find another cheap NV5000 used, I may give it a try, just for grins.

The main drawback I've found to the NV5000 software on a dedicated system is that it only wants to run full screen, and minimizing it is a pain with the admin login. I'd like to be able to see my CPU and network graphs alongside the Aver software. As long as something else is running, I can alt-tab, but that obscures some of the controls. Blue Iris (on another PC) is pretty flexible that way, but doesn't seem to handle high MP IP cams well.