PaulsonLaw

Can you advise a balun? Baluns, Connectors or the Cold

Define "blurred".

They MIGHT be baluns... but as we saw in another thread, another ad with those units both called them baluns in the tagline, but had big bold text in the ad that stated they weren't. So honestly, without disassembling or testing them, it's hard to say for sure. My bet would be on "no" just for the sheer (lack of) size.

As we also saw in another thread, not everyone (including experienced techs like Seanhawg) even realize that there's more to a balun than just a pair of connectors... and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the people selling these things honestly THINK they're baluns, even IF they aren't.

I doubt they are baluns and without baluns your lucky to get a viewable signal over any sort of distance.

Those look like they are just adaptors and serve no other function and their cost might give you a clue.

You can buy pairs of individual baluns for about £1.99 or more on ebay and they are perfectly good basic

passive devices. You might find them cheaper but not much.

Ok, could anyone post me a link on some good baluns for 385' ON CAT5 TOUCH CABLE L2?

I have for at the road & I will start with them & see if it's a noted change. Thanks!

Ok, heres a pic of what I have installed on up to 385' runs. Someone told me these were connectors, not baluns?>?>?>?

So what's the deal? Is this why my cams are a lil blurred at times, or could that be the cold?

Topic open!

http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Passive-Video-Power-Transceiver/dp/B005PJ5WJK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1326983712&sr=8-10

Someone told me these were connectors, not baluns?>?>?>?

soundy also told you there not baluns. in fact amazon also tell you there not baluns

Technical Details

10 Cameras, CAT5 TO BNC Passive Video and Power Balun Transceiver

Great for short distance connection -Easier for CCTV camera installation, save time and save money

2.1 x 5.5mm CCTV Camera DC Power Plug Connector.

Cat5 to BNC Connector

Note: This connector does Not have video balun function.

do you use the touch cat5 all the time ???

Ok, heres a pic of what I have installed on up to 385' runs. Someone told me these were connectors, not baluns?>?>?>?

So what's the deal? Is this why my cams are a lil blurred at times, or could that be the cold?

Topic open!

http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Passive-Video-Power-Transceiver/dp/B005PJ5WJK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1326983712&sr=8-10

Someone told me these were connectors, not baluns?>?>?>?

soundy also told you there not baluns. in fact amazon also tell you there not baluns

Technical Details

10 Cameras, CAT5 TO BNC Passive Video and Power Balun Transceiver

Great for short distance connection -Easier for CCTV camera installation, save time and save money

2.1 x 5.5mm CCTV Camera DC Power Plug Connector.

Cat5 to BNC Connector

Note: This connector does Not have video balun function.

do you use the touch cat5 all the time ???

Yes, I have been told they are not baluns by soundy, but I have already installed... so....

Now I'm trying to figure out how & if I need to change these out....

On this job I ran tough cable, but it's my home so want it to last till the day I'm not here to fix it

Now I'm trying to figure out how & if I need to change these out....

it because you have not used baluns over that lenth. do you also have power over cat5 ??? i see you use shelded cable

I've been searching about grounding the system for this as well....

The poles are PVC/Fiber w/ a pvc hood, so no lightning issues....

I need to ground the ground wire on the cat5 & there is no ground for the DVR, so I'll crimp an eye w/ ground I toss it on a screw on the dvr.....

The blur that I'm having......

On the TV, non HD using RCA over cat5, I have a slight ghost running across w/ some slight rainbow lines..... Everything else is fine, not pixelled...

On the laptop, via LAN, it's an HP netbook, 1.6mhz atom, I have no lines, no ghost, but pixelled to hell....

Haven't tried on any other devices.....

No power over cat5... I have 120 & every pole & the risers up the pole have 12v running opposite the video feed....

I have 4 more cams coming, in a few days to finish phase 2. These will be running the factory BNC/Power coax so then I will have a better idea....

Thanks you guys!

The poles are PVC/Fiber w/ a pvc hood, so no lightning issues....

I need to ground the ground wire on the cat5 & there is no ground for the DVR, so I'll crimp an eye w/ ground I toss it on a screw on the dvr.....

ok i think you are posting to wind people up. or you have just stared out installing cctv.

do not ground the cat5 and dont ground your dvr. and grounding your camera to dvr this is done via your bnc.

cat5 the cable runs you have you need baluns there is nothing you can do (or we would not need baluns)

8 camera systen 16 baluns $20 is much less to pay that all your time and effort to find a solution that you cant fix without them

On the TV, non HD using RCA over cat5, I have a slight ghost running across w/ some slight rainbow lines..... Everything else is fine, not pixelled...

On the laptop, via LAN, it's an HP netbook, 1.6mhz atom, I have no lines, no ghost, but pixelled to hell....

I would bet that it looks like crap on your monitor because of the monitor or the DVR sending a bad signal to your monitor or your monitor is not any good (try hooking the VGA up or HDMI to your monitor to see if you get better results). Since the ghosting and rainbows go away on the laptop but it looks pixelized, that just means you are viewing the encoded video and you are possibly just not recording in D1 or what is probably more the cause, the DVR just isnt encoding the video that well. Do you see this pixelized video at night time or day time, the pixelized look gets enhanced at night time because of the noiseyness but it shouldnt be too pixelized during the daytime. Which DVR are you using?

Basically I dont think the problem lies within your Balun/Adapters to your cameras. But if you are using a Balun/Adapter from your DVR to your monitor, that could be the problem.

Seems to me we've already been through that on another thread... and the "is this a balun" issue was first addressed there.

Doesn't matter how many different times you ask the same questions, the answers will not change.

The blur that I'm having......

Screenshots or video clips would help...

No power over cat5... I have 120 & every pole & the risers up the pole have 12v running opposite the video feed....

120VAC anywhere near unshielded, unbalanced wire will easily produce noise in the line. A proper balanced line would probably eliminate that interference.

Ok, could anyone post me a link on some good baluns for 385' ON CAT5 TOUCH CABLE L2?

I already offered to send you a pair to try out: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28766&start=47

A reply for the last 3 relies....

Yes, it is shielded, as stated.... but below are the pics of specs of the TC-L2 wire....

As to the baluns, I have eliminated this problem! These " adapters" are fine. I found this out by downloading all 8 cams so far onto a flash & playing them on my mac.

*** SO, with whatever set-up of wire & connecters, it is crystal.****

Thank you for the thread link!!! I went back to the thread & thought it was deleted! That's why I was asking for a link, thought the OP thought that thread got jacked by all of us & cleared it... I was looking in the wrong area....

Thank you for the offer to try a pair! But this is not the problem anymore, have ruled it out via the flash drive...

So, The TV I'm using is crap for watching on & I need a better PC to watch on as well....

*** I am not an installer! Well, not for hire anyway... I have only installed another Zmodo at a local Kwik-Stop for the owner, needed the side work. Now, with the city coming out to rob the hill blind, I am just trying to take action....

Grounding.....

I already grounded the cat5 & DVR this afternoon... Will this be a problem?

The 120v is 14/2UG & runs alongside the conduit running the cat5, that with the very low load causes no problems.....

image-04.jpg.4fe1135320e6f4b0682f05ca00744cd5.jpg

thumb-05.jpg.3968ada97a730696e86dae0095da105c.jpg

As to the baluns, I have eliminated this problem! These " adapters" are fine. I found this out by downloading all 8 cams so far onto a flash & playing them on my mac.

*** SO, with whatever set-up of wire & connecters, it is crystal.****

well thats one way of saying its fixed. but i will tell you how you think it is fixed.

you still have a monitor image problem (like you say) so you still have the problem.

downloading footage onto memory will still show IF it is a good res. but its sounds as if your only on CIF it may not show as bad in cif.

Grounding.....

I already grounded the cat5 & DVR this afternoon... Will this be a problem?

if your dvr has a external power supply. then look on the back it will say class2

Ok, I just went up to the shop & about broke my hand to cut one of these connecters up & here's a pic, but after many cuts, there are simply wires going end to end. SO yes they are connecters, but in some cases they do work....

0119121753.jpg.ca5ee3d9f2bc6c3c7eee7c7c9fae32ac.jpg

yes 42 posts back when soundy posted the link from the site "these are not baluns"

i know you say you have good images with the connecters (but you do say you have a ground problem) why not just listen and try two baluns just to see you image quality go better

but before you do REMOVE all your bonding. baluns can go pop

#-o yes 42 posts back when soundy posted the link from the site "these are not baluns"

i know you say you have good images with the connecters (but you do say you have a ground problem) why not just listen and try two baluns just to see you image quality go better

but before you do REMOVE all your bonding. baluns can go pop

Nah, all is ok w/ the feed in, like I posted the pic is crystal when viewed on a macbook screen from a flash drive...

This proves my issue w/ the lines on the tv is the tv or cables going to it...

This proves my HP netbook is crap for streaming video....

I've used straight wire on short runs before, too - just station wire straight into BNC connectors. Sometimes it works fine, but again, any sort of source of interference and it's just NASTY.

I dont think that is the case. Have you inserted that flash drive into the laptop to see what the video looks like. If it looks good, then what is happening is you are recording on your main stream but you are probably viewing on your sub-stream over the network which is a lesser video quality than your main stream. Perhaps your main stream is at D1 and your substream is at CIF.

I dont think that is the case. Have you inserted that flash drive into the laptop to see what the video looks like. If it looks good, then what is happening is you are recording on your main stream but you are probably viewing on your sub-stream over the network which is a lesser video quality than your main stream. Perhaps your main stream is at D1 and your substream is at CIF.

...and/or higher compression.

...and/or higher compression.

Will look into that today....