cctvlad

creating a relay?

im wanting to create a wireless ptz with an IP encoder which has alarm input options.

one is to add PIR to the encoder and the other is have the ability to switch on lights and off.

obviously you cant put a mains cable into the encoder which will need a step down relay?

how do i go about this? what needs to be added to the encoder to make this happen?

is there a set product or can it be custom made? pretty new to this concept though!

would appreciate any help guys

I don't have such encoder as of yet but the main goal is to connect shed lights off and on there is quite a lot of them up to 4 switches in a massive shed. from what I see a lot of the encoder have alarm inputs available on them?

specifically I see a good few wifi ip encoder , with webserver,rs485 with iphone ptz support and with relay outputs but the crux of the thing is what do i connect it. need a wiring plan of connecting them to all of the mains switches. is there a transformer needed specifics is what id like

I don't have such encoder as of yet but the main goal is to connect shed lights off and on there is quite a lot of them up to 4 switches in a massive shed

hi. how many of the lights do you need to switch on ??

and do you have internet in the shed or are you in range for wifi.

might not bother with wifi go homeplug style theres about 4 light switches

been reading about relays that can take on 240 with input driver from the encoder (dry contact) so voltage rating from the encoder would be important for the relay too. so a 4 channel relay would do the job. quite small these things too, only thing is do i wire it from the mains to the relay add wires on from the switches to the relay direct?

i heard of someone doing it by a stepdown transformer as a relay but awkward option.

am i correct in all this?

btw im doing the install from my fathers farm perfect testing ground!!

theres about 4 light switches

i think its time for you to get a spark in. your in ireland ??? i think you will find your on 3 phase power. this will give you a few problems. 1 . homeplug will not work. (house and farm on seperate power)

3 phase lighting will need a 240v contactor box fitted first (to control the 3 phase) and you would replace the light switches to a stop/start control (and this will also be controlled via your relay).

this is why i asked .... do you need all the lights on .... or can you just use a bank of lights

your talking about Republic of Ireland lad! Im in Northern Ireland we dont have 3 phase electric here. although at my house I have a 3 phase transformer along side singlephase last owner of the house installed the 3 phase so its rare. (not being used at present although supposed to be cheap to run for heavy duty tools)

its all single phase here same as the rest of the UK.

how would i do the relays this way then?

home plug will work as it is in the same circuit at the farm. but will test it for internet connectivity quality it may not be that good due to distance though!

i dont need all the lights on at one given time depends where the sheep are put at a time of the week.

its all single phase here same as the rest of the UK.

then i would say you need a spark. i work in ireland and uk and i have not seen a farm yet that does not run on 3 phase.

so what you are saying (Ireland /uk) your house is also running your farm. if you look at your breaker it will be 100amp if you also look at your electric meter it will have (in the centre) 150/200amp @ 240v.

light switches also give it away. ireland / uk rate from 5 amp to 45amp ... how many lights do you have in the barn and what type ?

Hi Tom haven't had much time to get back to on this but will get back to you mate got camera install in the morn. plus a few good leads. but keen to test out this ptz method.

your talking about Republic of Ireland lad! Im in Northern Ireland we dont have 3 phase electric here

Dont know where/who told you that Bud but its way out, 3 phase no problem i've been plenty farm installs with 3 phase present in North

Also your going to need to get all the electrical work signed off involving the relays and modifications you have made to lighting circuits etc, you cant carry out Commercial works without this

your talking about Republic of Ireland lad! Im in Northern Ireland we dont have 3 phase electric here

Dont know where/who told you that Bud but its way out, 3 phase no problem i've been plenty farm installs with 3 phase present in North

Also your going to need to get all the electrical work signed off involving the relays and modifications you have made to lighting circuits etc, you cant carry out Commercial works without this

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> at last someone else on here who knows the UK regs.