Firefighter

Hello, From Tennessee (My current System, and Upgrading)

Hello!

I'm in Middle TN, I work for my city as a Full Time Firefighter.

I'm also a Photographer.

I'm blessed to have been able to purchase an older home with character inside our local Historical

District Society. It being my first home also.

I've lived there for about 8 months. I've always been into security.

So I was lucky and came across a system and purchased it.

It covers my Home (Main flr 2,600 sq ft. Not incl. full basement)

My land is 7/10 of a full acre.... So it's not too small.

Granite, It's (vid system) not super nice, But I think we can all agree something is better than nothing.

Current Setup:

Netrome Security BlackBox

8 Chan. 4 Camera

178699_1.jpg

178699_2.jpg

178699_3.jpg

It has already Payed off twice. Here is a screen shot of the front yard/porch

178699_4.jpg

So, As you can see it's the typical entry system. I like it, But being a technical detail

nerd I burn for better and more.

So, I have a couple choices. With a budget of about $600 (Includes selling old system)

I can either build my own system, get the same basic cameras only have more... like 8.

Get a better DVR and call it a day for now.

But... What I Really Really want to do is go ahead and really upgrade.

To a IP MP system.

NIP 1MP Cameras... 720P HD resolution...

Problem is it's not cheap. I can get the cameras for about $150 a pop...

That's my $600 budget right there on cameras. Or, Buy two and a nice dvr for now and

every few weeks purchase another camera.... I would like 8 1MP 720P Cameras total.....

Depending on the dvr maybe add a few lower quality cameras to the system.

So, That's my dilemma... Hello and glad to be here!! lol

NIP 1MP Cameras... 720P HD resolution...

hi please dont spend that sort of money on only a 1mp camera ... you would be best just buying a good standard camera it better and cheaper. if you look for mp cameras always make 1.3mp the lowest you go dont go below that

if you are looking for both (analog and mp) then you would need a hybrid. you can use your existing cameras and add mp as and when your budget allows 8 way hybrids start around $500

Ok thanks for the info.

Not to turn this into a tech thread, But do 700TVL Analog Cameras really have 700tvl?

I read no matter what they state, youll only recieve 420 at the end of the line. thus making

all analogs like 420.... No matter what they state. because analog can only transfer a certain amount.

I cant find any 1.3mp ip camera for less than 150.

I found 700tvl analogs for $80.....

You're not going to get much in the way of an IP megapixel camera for $150.

Certainly not something outdoor-rated... think 3x that and you're starting to get there.

Yeah I see that.

For now I may be better off sticking with analog until my budget increases.

So can you tell me if I buy Higher tvl camera, will I notice the difference vs my 420?

Because I read it doesnt matter, the resolution will be the same.

Heres where I read that info.

http://www.monitoryourassets.com/ip-vs-analog/

I found 700TVL Cameras for about $80. But if it's useless I'll pick up 420tvl for $40 and

save up for a better IP MP system.

Thanks for the help so much!

If you want to move to IP/megapixel, I'd suggest your first step be to upgrade your DVR to a hybrid system - you could then plug in your existing cameras, and either upgrade those to better analog cameras later, or add IP cameras as budget permits, or a combination thereof.

Others should be able to suggest some good "starter" hybrids that might fit your budget... the ones I'm familiar with start around $3000.

No, My question is: If I buy 700 tvl cameras, Will I actually get 700tvl?

Or would it be a waste of time, The link I provided says it doesnt matter. the camera may put out 700 tvl....

but ittl still be like 480 when it gets to the dvr...

I'm selling my system and was going to buy these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/700TVL-Sony-Effio-Outdoor-42-IR-2-8mm-12mm-Focus-Zoom-IP66-Security-Camera-/140690774509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c1d2d9ed

179039_2.jpg

Right now I have 420 tvl cameras. ( See top post )

No, My question is: If I buy 700 tvl cameras, Will I actually get 700tvl?

Or would it be a waste of time, The link I provided says it doesnt matter. the camera may put out 700 tvl....

but ittl still be like 480 when it gets to the dvr...

It's not a "waste of time" necessarily, camera quality depends on a lot of factors besides just TVL. I normally use CNB cameras that list as 600TVL, but I spec them because they're a versatile design with good low-light response, not because of OR in spite of the TVL.

They look like an "okay" camera for the price... nothing special, probably not much better or worse than what you have. There is the "weakest link" theory, of course, that your overall image resolution will only be as high as the highest part of the chain, so there's certainly no harm in having cameras that are higher resolution than the video standard supports.

Ok thanks for the info.

I'll have to double check, but I think they have a feature that I wanted. Which was, It darkens the bright areas, and lightens the dark areas.

I have Big Shadow Issues at my house. So it would help alot to have that feature, Among others of course.

But see, If its not worth it. I might as well pick up these $20 420tvl cameras and have a bunch of em vs the 4....

179080_1.jpg

lol, I know this is all stuff that comes from a newbie. I just hate having such a low budget of 600....