Zohan

To heat, or not to heat

what is the general rule to decide to put box cams in either a heated or non heated enclosure? Do you go by the temp specs on camera?

Im in lower ny...easy winter this year, sometimes it can go below 25f not often though....I would rather not do a heated enclosure but i will if it's the right thing to do....let me know how you guys decide on that...thanks

If its outside you need an environmental enclosure that not only provides heat but ventilation in the summer. I'm sure you've seen the outdoor IR cameras offered by Pelco and Hunt that advertize they don't need any enclosures; these cameras work well in the cold but have problems with overheating in the summer. The only camera on the market that doesn't need environmental enclosures is the Mobotix; these things work in the Mohave desert and the Arctic circle without any protection at all. The reason Mobotix works so well in harsh climates is they are a Cmos camera; no internal moving parts. CCTV cameras have servo-motors for lens correction and need environmental protection.

Having just set up an Avigilon HD Dome with heater, can anyone advise if the fan inside the dome should be on continually? I have set the camera up indoors to test, and noted that the fan seems to be running almost continually. It will stop for maybe 5 seconds or so once every ten minutes maybe.

Is this normal? I would have thought the fan would come on when required for heating or cooling. can anyone any experience with these advise if this is normal behavior? Indoor temperature while testing is approx 18 C. Operating temperature specified as -10 to +50 C.

Thanks for any input

Got a message back from Avigilon Support, it is standard behaviour for the fan to be always on. Thought I would post just in case anyone else needs this info and searches for it at a later date

Got a message back from Avigilon Support, it is standard behaviour for the fan to be always on. Thought I would post just in case anyone else needs this info and searches for it at a later date

What part of the country are you in? (Climate wise)

What part of the country are you in? (Climate wise)

Right there in the first post

Im in lower ny...easy winter this year, sometimes it can go below 25f not often though

Anyway... the heater in most enclosures is attached to the front glass - the primary purpose is to keep the glass from fogging/icing. Most cameras - especially IP cameras - generate plenty of heat on their own when operating; if you use a SEALED enclosure, it should retain plenty of heat, and if it's not super damp out when you close the housing up, you shouldn't have much problem with fogging... again, as long as you use a SEALED enclosure.

Unless you live in the far north, you probably don't need heaters in the enclosure for the sake of keeping the camera warm.

Anyway... the heater in most enclosures is attached to the front glass - the primary purpose is to keep the glass from fogging/icing. Most cameras - especially IP cameras - generate plenty of heat on their own when operating; if you use a SEALED enclosure, it should retain plenty of heat, and if it's not super damp out when you close the housing up, you shouldn't have much problem with fogging... again, as long as you use a SEALED enclosure.

Unless you live in the far north, you probably don't need heaters in the enclosure for the sake of keeping the camera warm.

1. What about analog cam in enclosure, enough heat?

2. Aren't the enclosures vented and with a fan?

1. What about analog cam in enclosure, enough heat?

Probably. Other than ICR, most cameras have few or no moving parts anyway; the only thing to really be concerned about might be the iris in the lens. Unless you're hitting -20C or so (around 0F) it shouldn't be a problem.

2.. Aren't the enclosures vented and with a fan?

Not the ones we use - primarily Pelco EH-3512 and EH-3502. Aside from the wire entry holes, they're completely sealed, and we'll usually run the wire in through a sealed grommet and close the other hole with a blank plug.

Keep in mind, one drawback to a vented housing is that it can let bugs get inside. It can also allow moisture in on particularly humid or foggy days.

The idea of the blower is the move air across the glass, thus enhancing defogging/defrosting... in a sealed box, a fan won't cool things at all, as all it's doing is circulating the hot air.

The idea of the blower is the move air across the glass, thus enhancing defogging/defrosting... in a sealed box, a fan won't cool things at all, as all it's doing is circulating the hot air.

That's always been my thinking too.

The Avigilon Jpeg box cameras get hot as a firecracker just sitting in your hand. I have several in housings with no fan in direct Alabama sunlight and they have never had a problem.

The only cameras I've ever had fail in direct sunlight have been a couple of Pelco IS-100 outdoor-rated domes. I have dozens of sealed housings in direct sunlight, mostly EH-3512s, a few older EH-2512s, most with analog cams, a few with IP cams... none have ever had a problem. One installation is a 50' tower with two FLIR SR-19 thermal cameras (sold for around $15,000 each at the time, built in the EH-2512 housing), and a Pelco Esprit PTZ (EH-3512-based housing, running around $5,000), out in direct weather 24/7/365 - they've all been running flawlessly for close to five years now.

Unless you're putting an already-hot camera in these things in the Arizona desert, I really wouldn't worry about it. Probably helps that these housings are all white powder-coated, so they probably reflect sunlight pretty well.

I live in the South Yorkshire area, so we dont get extremely cold weather. However last winter I did see -9C or 14F. The house is also exposed to the elements and wind, so I suppose wind chill could lower it further.

While the camera without the blower would probably have been ok, as it will be in an area that could get cold and then be subject to direct sunlight in a relatively short period of time, I went for the blower to help against fogging. The camera is only rated to -10C according to Avigilon themselves, so having the blower/heater gives me a little peace of mind I guess.

blower defroster's work this way, which is how pelco's are normally listed.

lots of blowers kick on when the temps go up though, and typically most seem to just run continuously anymore. I don't see a lot of completely sealed enclosures.

different ways of doing things from different manufacturers i guess.

I live in the South Yorkshire area, so we dont get extremely cold weather. However last winter I did see -9C or 14F. The house is also exposed to the elements and wind, so I suppose wind chill could lower it further.

Wind chill has nothing to do with it - it's a method of rating how cold it FEELS to exposed skin, but the actual temperature doesn't change.

Yes thats true , however the -9 is air temp, snow or ice forming on the metal casing or surrounding area could lower the temp below ambient air temperature.

Yes thats true , however the -9 is air temp, snow or ice forming on the metal casing or surrounding area could lower the temp below ambient air temperature.
Snow is actually a reasonably good insulator. Even ice has a lower thermal conductivity than aluminum, so it would add some insulation value to an aluminum housing.