RJMNYC

Using a 46" LED TV for a 10 camera analog project

I often see wide screen televisions being used as monitors for cctv systems and in my opinion they look okay. I also see expensive monitors termed "Professional" for cctv use at around 22" that cost about $600, which is what the 46" LED TV costs. The larger 46" screen at around $600 with VGA and a number of other inputs just seems to make sense. I've searched the forums for monitor, display, screen,etc withou much success.

So, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the difference and share their recommendations for a system with 10 analog cameras (Everfocus EZ650).

Thanks

Below are the 46" LED TV specs and a link to bestbuy.

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 46"

Vertical Resolution 1080p

Screen Refresh Rate 120Hz

HDMI Inputs 3

DVI Inputs 1

Component Video Inputs 1

Composite Inputs 1

PC Inputs 1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+46%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/2843055.p?id=1218356321299&skuId=2843055

Nothing wrong with using a TV/Monitor of this type, just make sure you use the highest resolution value output that you have from the DVR.

Keep in mind that most standalone DVRs won't have a native widescreen output, so the display is going to be "stretched" on a widescreen TV. You'll have to use VGA or HDMI if you want any kind of clean display; using analog out to an A/V input will look terrible, especially at that size.

Also, if you want all 10 cameras to display, you'll need to find a DVR that will output a suitable split-screen: equal-size "boxes" will only work in four (2x2), nine (3x3) or 16 (4x4) layouts. The only way to fit 10 with no empty boxes is this:

179478_1.jpg

Amen to that. That's a big one for me and it's why of all the views, be it the local monitor, web access, or MCS, I prefer MCS the best. It has the most flexibility for window positioning. I like full screen and I hate emtpy windows- hate them. I would think the window setup that the dvr outputs is tough to know before hand, unless they give you that info in the manual. We have an openeye dvr 16 channel at work that has 7 channels full at the moment, and it only offers one configuration that works for that with no empty windows- probably one preset that will do a weird config for you. But it sucks and personally I would switch cables around until I got what I wanted to see correctly.

What will your situation be? Will the 46" be your main viewing screen all the time? I ask because my local screen is a 15" LCD, mostly for menu setup. I almost never monitor cameras on that screen. I'm always remote viewing, even when I'm in the house. I'm on the laptop remotely via LAN, or another outside pc remotely via WAN. Personally, for residential I'd get a tv for televison viewing, and a 19-23" monitor for the dvr. Unless it was a situation where you need a large screen in a big main room, I'd go with a smaller screen for much crisper veiwing. And I'd do it via the software, where the window setup may be more flexible. IMO.

I often see wide screen televisions being used as monitors for cctv systems and in my opinion they look okay. I also see expensive monitors termed "Professional" for cctv use at around 22" that cost about $600, which is what the 46" LED TV costs. The larger 46" screen at around $600 with VGA and a number of other inputs just seems to make sense. I've searched the forums for monitor, display, screen,etc withou much success.

So, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the difference and share their recommendations for a system with 10 analog cameras (Everfocus EZ650).

Thanks

Below are the 46" LED TV specs and a link to bestbuy.

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 46"

Vertical Resolution 1080p

Screen Refresh Rate 120Hz

HDMI Inputs 3

DVI Inputs 1

Component Video Inputs 1

Composite Inputs 1

PC Inputs 1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+46%26%2334%3B+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+HDTV/2843055.p?id=1218356321299&skuId=2843055

Don't forget to check out the warranty if you are using domestic TVs for CCTV.

In some instances (eg:- in the UK) domestic TVs that are used for commercial use reduces the warranty to 3 months.

Ilkie