1) Hi can anybody tell me for any reason other than cost why I should use cat5e over the cable in the link below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-PTZ-Cable-Signal-Data-Power-all-one-PRO-/280817409032?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item4162059c08

My installation scenario is a single ptz dome (maximum cable run of 15m) using pelco over rs485?

2) How do I know if the cameras on ebay which state that they are using sony effio HAD CCD chips actually are? My reason for this is why should I buy a vista premium priced (£400-£900) camera over a reasonably priced (£150-250) chinese made cam which uses a Sony chipset?

Thanks for your answers.

If you are only running 15 meters I would use the coax you will have more current carrying capacity on the 18 ga than on the 24 ga in the cat 5. You might need that if your ptz has a heater and blower.

You don't know what you are getting as far as cameras on ebay maybe it is legit maybe it will last a week and maybe you will be able to return it or get tech support. If you have something worth protecting i would always go through a ligit dealer. You may pay more but you are getting all the support warrentee etc.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that that cable has a foil shield and a very thin, apparently (from the image) non-copper braid, rather than a good 90-95% all-copper braid... but for only 15m, that shouldn't be a problem.

How do I know if the cameras on ebay which state that they are using sony effio HAD CCD chips actually are?

You wait until you get the camera, open it up, and look at the actual chip. Other than that, buying gear on eBay, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

179625_1.jpg

Re Sony Chip: Once Ive opened up the dome Are all Sony Chips branded as so?

@Soundy: I havent had a problem with Flea Bay yet and I would certainly request my money back if it wasnt a Sony chip and it was advertised as. I think I would probably buy from a uk seller who has already imported the items then if anything does go wrong its an easier complaints proceedure

@jeromephone What does the awg mean? I agree with what your saying though I have calculated that two pair of cat5e are capable of carrying the load and the voltage drop is insignificant over the length that I am running.

Thanks Again for all your answers both of you.