SecurityNub

Looking for another camera, but I can't even find the specs.

I currently have an Aposonic 1/3" lens Super HAD CCD, water proof(resistant I know), it has night vision and is great for my walk way. It makes out the faces just fine, range of about 12 feet if you actually want facial identification.

I don't need a zoom or anything. I just want it to be able to make out a license plate at 50-60 feet. I want something fairly better than what I got.

From what I understand what I need is a 1/2" lens Super HAD CCD, water proof(resistant I know). But I am searching all over the net and can't even find a 1/2". Can someone show me some options please. Looking to stay under $200ish for just the camera. The one I got cost $80, lol.

Based on my rate of recording, on my HDD of one terabyte, I do 17gb per day. Roughly 57ish days. So I have the room to run two cameras on it, and my DVR allows up to 4 cameras.

SecurityNub observed:

"Looking for another camera, but I can't even find the specs."

That is the basic problem that now prevails across the entire CCTV industry.

You will not find any valid specifications for any camera because every manufacturer and retailer lies through their teeth about what they claim their cameras can do.

When this problem of hugely exaggerated specifications of cheaper cameras began, the Japanese seemed to be caught flat-footed. Instead of vigorously attacking the fantasy specifications and explaining to the general public, or even to the small demographic of users, professionals and enthusiasts, that objective camera specifications can, do and should exist, what did the Japanese brand name companies do? They started lying about their own specifications as well. If the Japanese have ever gotten anything wrong, this is it: the indecisive specifications' response to the phony camera specifications that ate into their market is the supreme example.

There is a need to identify specific CCD Sensors that are installed in specific cameras so that a clearer idea of the performance of these specific sensors can be known. As Stanislav has pointed out, the specific sensor makes a profound difference to the potential capability of any camera.

By identifying sensors, it ought to be possible to create a short list of cameras that have a potentially similar performance, notwithstanding other issues such as DSP, longevity, heat capacity, power consumption etc.

Aside from all that....

I don't need a zoom or anything. I just want it to be able to make out a license plate at 50-60 feet.

Well, you should consider a varifocal camera because you will need a tighter FOV to get plates at 50 or so feet out. And that's daytime. At night, you'll need a true plate capture camera. But assuming you just want to have a chance at seeing enough detail to make out plates, say out in front of your home during the days activity, check out a GS830SM at Gadspot's dot com site. That'll do you nicely, I would think. Good luck.

Dan

Thank you for the suggestion. Does anyone have a picture of this camera in action?

And dare I ask, since I have some room to spend more, is there an even nicer option out there?

And I have spot lights shining down at my vehicles so light won't be an issue. If the night vision is as good or better than my current camera, the little boost provided by my outdoor light should be fine.

LPR with IR can be tricky. I have a 1MP cam that reads license plates clearly in the daytime, but when the IR comes on, the high reflectivity of the license plates makes them much brighter than the ambient, so they wash out completely. What's super clear in the daytime is just a block of white at night.

If the license plates are going to be in a repeatable location, you might could zoom on that spot and use the license plate location as the exposure control, but I haven't actually tried that, and your camera would have to support selectable exposure control zones.

Depending on the distance and local lighting, I believe you'd have better luck with no IR and a sensitive cam with a fast lens zoomed in on the area in concern, since most license plates are lit at night anyway and you've got local illumination, but I'm no expert on this.

I don't need a zoom or anything. I just want it to be able to make out a license plate at 50-60 feet.

Thank you for the suggestion. Does anyone have a picture of this camera in action?

And dare I ask, since I have some room to spend more, is there an even nicer option out there?

the Gadspot will not do what you need not at 60ft it has a 6 - 9mm lens

the Gadspot spec reads >>>> • Capture images from vehicles traveling at speeds up to 30 mph (50 kph)

90% of cameras can capture images of a car at that speed ..... it says nothing about licence plates.

New CNB XGB-20CS/XGB-21CS or the Qvis p400 or huviron p700 are camera that will have no problem.

The CNB and the Huviron look very good. But at a 200 dollar budget, be careful what you wish for. You could try the gadspot GS810EF, which matches what you need.

New CNB XGB-20CS/XGB-21CS or the Qvis p400 or huviron p700 are camera that will have no problem.

I could not find a price for these anywhere. Everyone wanted me to fill out some information to get the price. That is the first sign of a scam in most places. Or that the price is so high that the only people who can afford them are people with so much money that it's offensive to even tell them the price, because of course they can afford it, they can afford anything.

They are expensive cameras. For an option in your budget, do check out the GS810EF that I mention a couple posts up. It looks to match what you're looking for. If you pick it up, let us know how it worked out.

Dan

That is the first sign of a scam in most places

it all depends who you call. it has nothing to do with a scam. or anything to do with high price.

out of the two that is what i would use for your licence plates

That is the first sign of a scam in most places

it all depends who you call. it has nothing to do with a scam. or anything to do with high price.

out of the two that is what i would use for your licence plates

Then how do I get a price quote? What did you pay for yours?

CNB XGB-20CS- approx 760 bucks

XGB-21CS - looks to be in the 700 dollar range

Qvis p400- don't know

huviron p700- don't know

Figure larger bucks.

you need to change supplier if he is charging you 760 for a 200 camera. also xgb-20 and the xgb-21 are the same camera so why is he charging you an extra $60

the huviron is around the 190.

Same camera - the 21 is the PAL version, 20 is NTSC. No idea why one would be $60 more... Tom's right, you REALLY need to look at a new supplier.

That's what came up in a search- not my supplyer! LOL! It would be nice if you're gonna suggest four cameras to someone to help them find them, rather than leaving someone hanging to possibly over pay and say so after the fact. Recommending product to someone not in the know shouldn't be such a mystery- just suggest where to look for the things. Or even something as simple as the going rate for the things.

leaving someone hanging to possibly over pay and say so after the fact. Recommending product to someone not in the know shouldn't be such a mystery- just suggest where to look for the things. Or even something as simple as the going rate for the things.

sorry but nothing was hidden cameras part numbers and make ...... cant do much more than that when we dont even know were the op is based.

but i will reply to wrong prices $760 for a analog camera is not right from CNB as far as huviron jay is a member of the forum he may give price and distributor.