Sign in to follow this  
TravisCraig

NV5000 and BSOD

Greetings everyone. I have found many good answers in these forums and hopefully i can provide some of my own in the future. Today however I seek answers. I have 1000s of standalone and computer based systems deployed stateside and internationally. Unfortunately in the last month or so I have at least 2 PC-Based systems that BSOD all day long. The average uptime is 2-3 hours sometimes much less.

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX

Processor: Intel Core i5

Graphics: NVIDIA 8400GS

Capture: Dual NV5000s with Single Addon Each

DVR Software Version 7.7

PS: 650 Watt

Ok so after analyzing the dump files. Occasionally I get a random driver listed as the issue but 95 times out of a 100 its IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal ArgusV.sys or ArgusA.sys. I have hundreds of these with the same specs and same disk image that as far I know are not experiencing these issues. Any ideas? If you need any further information feel free to ask.

Just one drive a 2TB SATA which is mounted directly behind and centered on a fan and 16 Cameras

1 fan is not enough you also have good heat from graphics card you need at least 3 and 1 of which needs to pull in air.

You minunderstood me. There is one fan for the hard drive, one fan in the back and a third large fan on the side panel. I was just singling that fan out as that is almost as dedicated and optimal a fan as your going to get for cooling a HD.

You might try a different rev of NV5000 software; they usually have several versions available for download. This board can also be finicky about the hardware it's installed on.

Is the PC dedicated, or general purpose, and is it overclocked any? This can change the PCI bus timing, which can cause trouble with some hardware.

Is it a clean install of the OS, and is it 32 bit or 64 bit? I've heard the older NV5000 cards are finicky about Win7-64, while the newer ones (NV5000T) are better, but I've only run mine on XP. I never could find out the actual difference between the NV5000 and the NV5000T.

When I bought my NV5000 used, I installed it on one of my utility boxes to make sure it worked, and it wouldn't install the software at all. This was with an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe MB (quite popular back in the day) with a 2.8GHz P4 and 2GB RAM running XP, and the OS install is at least 5 years old.

I switched it to an ancient IBM Netvista P4 2.4GHz box with 512M RAM and a clean OS, and it installed and ran fine, but maxed out the CPU quickly. It's currently installed in a Dell Dimension 8300 P4 3GHz with 3GB RAM and a clean XP install, and is running very stable, only maxing out the CPU if I turn up the framerate on the IP cams too much.

Another check you could try is to pull the NV5000 and see if it continues to crash. If it does, that could indicate marginal memory (tricky to troubleshoot unless you can swap it or pull some sticks to test) or other basic hardware problems.

ETA: After re-reading your post, it seems unlikely it's bad hardware, since it's happening on 2 systems. That would make me think more along the lines of a basic incompatability with Win7 or with the MB.

Do you have other similar boxes that run OK?

Off the top of my head I have aprox. 60 identical machines that are not exhibiting the same issues. They are dedicated and not overclocked in any way with clean install images of Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. My first thought was to dedicate IRQs to the cards but IRQ Sharing and the inability to assign IRQs since Vista threw a monkey wrench in my gears. I did prioritize the IRQs through the registry that they were assigned but at least 5 or 6 other devices were also sharing the same IRQ so that didn't really do much except give them a little extra SHARED priority.

on the MB fan. take it off and when you turn it over you might see a little crack in the spline case. ssen this a few times with Asus. it will start up but over a hour or so you will see it slow down or even stop and start.

as it gets warm the crack opens up a little and the fan does not spin on the spline (at the speed it should)

are you just using these as analog or as hybrids.

Intermittent fan failures seem like a good shot. These MBs should have temperature alarms for both CPU and MB that can pop up alerts, though you'd need to run monitoring software, either Asus or 3rd party.

You probably have spare boxes with that many installs, so another option would be to swap the whole thing out and bench test it, or start replacing key parts like RAM, PS, etc. The most common intermittent failures I've seen in recent years have been caused by fans and RAM.