ethanw

Cat5 and multiple cameras

My newly built house is wired with a Cat5+RG59 to each camera drop/location. Is it possible to run more than one analog camera over the Cat5? Do I need a special splitter/convertor to terminate the cameras and connect to the CCTV DVR?

Thanks

Hi. yes you can run 4 analog cameras from 1 cat5 you just need to change the ends of each cat5 to rj45 network plugs. then you can use 4 way baluns at dvr end and at loft end. but you will need either local power in your loft or run a power feed.

this is a good type to buy if you dont have network tools (crimps)

4CHPassiveUTPVideoBalunYJS2044TR4-1.jpg

Thanks Tom....

Can I feed power to all 4 cameras over the RG59 that I have next to the Cat5? Granted I have the right amps and spliter?

Hi. yes you can run 4 analog cameras from 1 cat5 you just need to change the ends of each cat5 to rj45 network plugs. then you can use 4 way baluns at dvr end and at loft end. but you will need either local power in your loft or run a power feed.

Thanks Tom....

Can I feed power to all 4 cameras over the RG59 that I have next to the Cat5? Granted I have the right amps and spliter?

how many cameras are you needing at each location. am not a fan on running power over coax. what you can do is run 2 cameras over your single coax and use the cat5 for the power 2 pair for each camera which leaves you a pair for audio / data / or IR

If this were an install for a customer I would think it would look kind of tacky. You would have some kind on junction off the coax to send the power different directions and thacould look clunky. I would look at the cost difference of running a power wire for each camera it might make trouble shooting easier.

Thank you all for the feedback. Is for my house. I think 2 cameras + 2 powers for each CAT5 drop is enough I am glad I have enough cabling going to the right locations around the house.

So I probably could use this viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26116