JayPorter

Professional surveillance software for Linux

Hi All,

I've got a fairly nice capture card and cameras - anybody know of professional grade surveillance software for Linux? It appears there are tons of embedded linux apps, but I can't seem to find a single, stand alone professional app I can buy.....

We've not found one good Linux board.

There are several very good boards available for Linux. Spectra8 is expensive but they are said to work really well with Linux. Discounts are available right now at Zoneminder.com while their supply holds out. I bought a really sweet card from Provideo in Taiwan - it was model number 149A. Operates beautifully with Sony M383's running under XAWTV.

I wish I could get Zoneminder set up on my machine cause it seems like what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, after trying to install it for 12 hrs, I've come to the understanding that I am simply not smart enough. These Linux programmers are geniuses! That's why I'm trying to find a commercial program I can install with a few mouse clicks.....

Most boards could be run under Linux. The problem is the driver and software. All of the software that we have looked at has bugs or doesn't work.

The best complete Linux system I have seen is the Dallmier from Germany but they make their own stuff so doubt they would sell cards. I have seen many Linux cards, but most of the drivers are very outdated, also many limitations with Linux unless you are very good at it. We tried to make software with Free BSD but never finished it, everytime I we got close to something good, someone beat us to the punch, much cheaper to let someone else develop it.

newsgroups have some good links to free code but that was ages ago.

I know of several good Linux DVR brands out there in the market. Where are you from? I may be able to refer you to a local supplier of any brand.