crow

bnc 3 part or 2 part conectors

hi

whats best the bnc conectors

the one with the center that comes out and needs to crimped or just the ones that have the center fixed

cheers

There is no "best type" - use whatever is easiest for you to obtain and attach. I prefer compression connectors, personally, as they're single-piece, and most are water-tight once crimped.

If you are starting from scratch, the BEST BNC connectors without a doubt are the snap tight types, sometimes called waterproof or compression connectors. With this type the centre pin is usually captive and needs no crimping. There are however some on the market that do have a separate pin, I am not sure if they are barbed or if they require crimping, if they do require crimping they are a waste of time unless the compression tool crimps the pin also, most don't which means you'd need a RG59 crimp tool just to do the centre pin. They use specific type compression crimper available about £20 in Maplin. There are better ones but the Maplin one does the job. The connectors are relatively expensive in the UK at the moment as they aren't that easy to get cheaply but they can be had on ebay quite cheaply if you buy quantity.

Most installers that I know, already have a good quality crimping tool that is designed for RG59 BNCs and some other coax types.

Consider this: If you already have a tool that was not cheap and the connectors are readily available everywhere and of relatively good quality, would you switch to a connector that is expensive and requires you to buy a new crimping tool making your existing tool redundant? I'm not.

The 3 part BNC crimps on the market are relatively cheap, and readily available from reliable sources. I always buy the top branded ones that command a higher price but thats my preference some of the cheaper ones are also good unfortunately some are pretty poor. I am not prepared to take the chance of having to return to a job because a BNC has become faulty, the cost of the time involved is not worth the extra for a better connector.

Properly executed, crimp on BNCs are excellent and have been reliable for years. I have been to many a job that is being refurbished completely and never once had a replacement crimp BNC they have lasted for years, I have been using crimp RF connectors in one form or another since 1985. I buy most of mine from RS components or Farnell. You can also get nice quality in the UK from Coax Solutions, (formerly Robinsons Connectors) in the UK. You will expect to buy quantity from Coax Solutions. If you just wan't small quantities go to RSC or Farnell.

My choice would at this stage be the 3 piece crimp. I do recognize that the new compression fitting BNcs are excellent but for the extra benefit I am not yet tempted. That is my own reasoning. 3 piece BNC crimps have a good track record and for my money are the only option at the moment. If I were starting afresh, I'd have to reconsider my decision.

181259_1.jpg181259_2.jpg

I have to agree with Soundy on this one, there is no best choice. It's a matter of personal preference, while crimp plugs have a long successful service record, there are other BNC types like twist on and screw on types, Neutric and of course the newest, very nice to use compression connectors, in the end it depends what your personal circumstances and choices are. I'm not throwing away my crimp tool just yet it has a long service life left and I aim to squeeze every penny I can earn from it.

Gotta say that I like being able to remove the pin, attach it to the conductor and insert into the connector. I know the pin is making positive contact and I am able to see when to stop pushing the wire without making a mark.

Edited by Guest

hi

whats best the bnc conectors

the one with the center that comes out and needs to crimped or just the ones that have the center fixed

cheers

3 part. are the most common in the uk. and yes there is also a lot of people selling the 2 part which are junk. 20p a BNC

i saw the 2 part in grax 17p each

and wasnt sure to get 2 or 3 part ones

i tryed a camera out the other day and used 2 twist on bnc conectors

they were hard work

it was a pain getting the center to conect first time

2 or 3 attemps to get it right

it was just tempory until my crimp tool arives

thanks

i saw the 2 part in grax 17p each

and wasnt sure to get 2 or 3 part ones

i tryed a camera out the other day and used 2 twist on bnc conectors

they were hard work

it was a pain getting the center to conect first time

2 or 3 attemps to get it right

it was just tempory until my crimp tool arives

thanks

I found myself in a similar situation, I found twist ons hard work and not that good, so after that I never re considered using them again. Some people swear by them, but hey are not for me and yes they really are hard work. I'd rather patch a cable together than use twist on plugs again. But if you like them guys, don't let me stop you.

I do like the newer screw terminal BNCs by Neutric, not as a permanent fix you understand, but I would like to have couple of them as test connectors as they are easy to remove and re-use. By the way my crimp tool was bought from RS components in 1986 and is still as smooth as the day it arrived, better I think. I know the feel of this tool, it's like part of my hand.

ended up using 3 part ones

every one went perfect with no problems

i had to pay local camera shop 50p each

ended up using 3 part ones

every one went perfect with no problems

i had to pay local camera shop 50p each

ive jut ordered anbother pack of these crimp bncs, used 100's of this particular bnc and i find them superb, they work out if buying 50 @ 24pence each. plus delivery, these are a very good quality connection, compared to the cheaper versions.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350528944075?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i would give ebay a miss.......... you can buy much cheaper between 8p and 15p each .... and you can also buy just the center pin ..... if you drop 1 .... 1000 £2

i would give ebay a miss.......... you can buy much cheaper between 8p and 15p each .... and you can also buy just the center pin ..... if you drop 1 .... 1000 £2

i know the chap in question so get a better price but in fairness id rather pay for a quality connector and not a cheap one!

i know the chap in question so get a better price but in fairness id rather pay for a quality connector and not a cheap one!

I concur, cheap plugs are a false economy.