ptz daisy chain

hi

what is the correct way to rs485 connect 2 ptz cameras in a daisy chain

have drawn 2 pictures to save on typing

i got told to wire as in first picture but he never said why

thanks

ptz1.JPG.e3d0c8d5fdfad0fa32a492c51eb12745.JPG

ptrzz.JPG.f8e3eeea340cca320c7cde060641a959.JPG

When you coonect severa PTz's together on the same RS485 line back to eithr the DVR or controller, there are two sistinct ways to do this.

1. in series (or daiseychain) RS485 in RS485 out

2, in a star pattern from a single pint or camera

When in series the last camera in the chain needs the chain terminating with a 320Ohm resistor (usually built in)

When a start pattern is used, the furthest camera needs the termination.

In both cases the controller will need terminating too and the cameras will (depending on the controller) need to have the same protocol settings with unique address numbers per camera.

Choosing may well be to do with the manufacturer of the cameras assuming they are all the same brand daiseychaining is okay but can give problems where different cameras are connected together. (I don't know why this is) So in such cases it may be better to revert to the star pattern. Where a combination of static and PTZs are connected to the same controller the star pattern is the patten of choice (The static cameras are joined in to control their OSM via the controller)

Edited by Guest

hi Numb-nuts

what do you meen by a star pattern?

thanks for your help

Using a star pattern for the wiring means each PTZ has its own cable running back to the the DVR or controller and no termination of last PTZ is needed.

star is best if you run data to each it gives a little better security

hi Numb-nuts

what do you meen by a star pattern?

thanks for your help

(like in your picture 1)

Each camera has a line radiating from a single point, the one that has the longest run is considered the last camera assuming you use the same RS485 cable to all of them. If you don't you make a job for yourself trying termination on each camera until you find the appropriate one to terminate

Is that any help?

crow. to save you time up and down a ladder star is a direct control

you have 3 methods of wirering for PTZs Daisy chain - star - and combination

daisy chain needs termination star all can be left alone or terminate all (but not needed as its the only camera on the line) combination is the same as star but you can have multple cameras on each and in that case you only terminate the last camera on each line

hi

just got the domes today

they are the qvis G3-S27-N DOME-G3S27

on the house we are using 2 ptz's

just been looking and the termination is on a jumper and is off

shall i turn the furthest away from the dvr to on

not sure how we are going to wire them yet daisey chain or star

in the instruction it shows a diagram daisy chain 1st terminated and last terminated

how do we go on with the 2 ptz's

thanks

hi

just got the domes today

they are the qvis G3-S27-N DOME-G3S27

on the house we are using 2 ptz's

just been looking and the termination is on a jumper and is off

shall i turn the furthest away from the dvr to on

in the instruction it shows a diagram daisy chain 1st terminated and last terminated

how do we go on with the 2 ptz's

thanks

With just two PTzs it doesn't really mater which config you use. Don't forget to terminate the controller which is usually a menu item option on or off. That PTZ is a Samsung manufactured unit although not in their range, but it's probably a straightforward install without quirky problems. Nice camera for home user. Has a very good instruction manual, better than most. The section for RS485 is very good so follow that.

we are using the dvr for now to controll the ptz

will be getting a keyboard soon

is there a setting on the dvr for terminating?

thanks

qvis is direct data so there is no termination on dvr.

daisey chain is a method used a long time ago and is not needed in the industry now not with data being over cat5.

1 cat5 will run 4 PTZ data if they are all in the same area and just with that 1 cable run its also called star.

daisy chain ... if something happends at a camera pulled off wall or wire cut .... will also disable the other PTZs no data no control.

also if you do star. you can use any PTZ camera you like you cant with daisy chain. you have to run video to each camera so its not a problem to run data as well

we are using the dvr for now to controll the ptz

will be getting a keyboard soon

thanks

Termination is not required on the DVR settings. Before climbing any ladders and running any cable may I suggest you set up a bench test to prove the cameras and your wiring method. It doesn't take long and you will know where you are headed with this installation. You've got all the info you need now, It's not as complicated as it sounds. Once you see the cameras PTZing your confidence will soar. I always try and bench test before climbing any ladders. You have the advantage that you are not under a huge time constraint. Only the cheap as chips Chinese specials are going to cause you difficulty, those are relatively good cameras god luck chaps.

i was lookig at the ptz wiring on my friends cameras

the friend i helped a few weeks ago with the ptz cameras

and the apollo hd pro

and his ptz are wired as in this picture

he keeps having problems with the keyboard controller as when he puts a joystick imput in it keeps moving and when you put an opposite movement in it keepg going the other way and so on

i wondered if the rs485 was wired ok

ptzzzzzzzzz.JPG.e54a7f3e40e8f511dea9a513f93edbf5.JPG

i was lookig at the ptz wiring on my friends cameras

the friend i helped a few weeks ago with the ptz cameras

and the apollo hd pro

and his ptz are wired as in this picture

he keeps having problems with the keyboard controller as when he puts a joystick imput in it keeps moving and when you put an opposite movement in it keepg going the other way and so on

i wondered if the rs485 was wired ok

Could the keyboard be a used one? If may have dust in the switch that the only time

I have ever seen what you are describing.

I use IDC junction boxes in the same or a similar way. Thats what cat5 was designed for so it makes sense.

I understand that jelly crimps are very popular too.