Sign in to follow this  
dvarapala

IR Illuminator Interferes with PIR Motion Detector?

I have a Raymax RM100 IR illuminator (940 nM) and a PIR motion sensor floodlight covering the same general area; the Raymax is for covert license plate capture at night, and the PIR motion sensor is used to trigger the LP camera (and turn on a visible flood light for deterrence). Since installing the Raymax I have noticed an apparent reduction in sensitivity from the PIR motion sensor lights; they seem to take a little bit longer to trigger than they did before. Whereas the PIR used to trigger when the nose of a vehicle passed in front of it, now the vehicle is usually entirely past before the sensor trips (if it trips at all).

Is it reasonable to assume that the IR light from the Raymax is interfering with the PIR motion sensor? Any tips or tricks to using both together successfully?

Yes the Raymax will cause the interference.

You could always try to use an outdoor alarm PIR that also has a Microwave detector to do the motion detection and wire that into a relay on the light.

The Bosch OD850 Series Outdoor TriTech Detector has a feature where you can set it so that either PIR or Microwave will trigger the contact.

Just a thought...

http://products.boschsecurity.com.au/en/AU/products/bxp/SKU26265601392971313291-CATM94e42974ba808ed700e2d4978c3cc557

I was about to post a very similar topic, so to avoid spamming I hope you dont mind if i piggyback on yours.

My question is a bit more general. Can you simultaneously use PIR motion sensors, and a IR illuminator in the same area, or will that nullify the PIR capability?

I have several motion sensors hooked up to a traditional security system, but I would like to add a couple of cameras as well, and I want them to work at night, so I would need some IR illumination.

Yes the Raymax will cause the interference.

I wish I'd known that before spending $400 on a high-end Redwall PIR motion sensor.

I ran a little experiment and turned off my Raymax; the PIR works great as long as the IR illuminator is turned off or pointed in another direction.

You could always try to use an outdoor alarm PIR that also has a Microwave detector to do the motion detection and wire that into a relay on the light.

Heh! A side effect of that approach is that it would trigger everyone's RADAR detectors whenever they drive past my house

Yea, obviously blasting IR will throw off PIR detectors somewhat. I imagine its kinda like staring at the sun for the detector.

Definitely check out a detector that uses microwave tech to sense motion - that would be how I solve it most likely. I don't see much of any other way to get the camera to see well...