troy6363

2 story home job

Hey guys. Im still kinda a rookie when it comes to installing cctv but I think I did a pretty good job on my last install which was at my local church. I have a client that wants a system installed on her home. Its a 2 story home and I will go this week to check out the layout. Never did a 2 story home before, I wonder will this cause me any problems or will it actually be easier since sometimes 2 story homes have more open access in the attics. Can anyone shed some light? Im going to do the job regardless. I found 2 local electricians that agreed to sub out the wiring work if I didnt feel like messing with. I wonder how much more labor should I charge?

I'm a rookie as well and have installed systems in about 4 older homes...all 2 story. After trying a wire run once up the inside of a wall I failed, hitting floor boards and what not. I ended up running conduit up the outside corners of the home and mounting verifocal domes about 8 feet up from the foundation. Then some paint on the PVC conduit and it does not look that bad. DVR is in the basement and all wires either enter that area together or enter at different points closer to the cameras.

I only a noob as well...

Just one thing to mention, the news had a cctv video on a home in Columbus. In 10 minutes they stole a van load!

In the end, the house was a 2 story & both front cams were to high to catch a face, they had hoods on but 5' lower & they would have had them...

Something to keep in mind....

Dont forget a IR/Video over cat5 so you can stash the cctv dvr in a remote location, well worth $60...

Good Luck

I am all for adapting materials like conduits etc to smarten up a home install. It's different from a commercial install where you aren't usually required to be that sensitive to what the conduit looks like. I have painted plastic conduit to match brickwork or timber sidings on a homeowner's property. I think they appreciate your sensitivity. Some businesses will be the same but I haven't found one yet. It's really a matter of pride in your work too and I know you have that in bundles from when you first posted the Church pics. Just trust your own instincts you won't do badly I am sure.

One piece of advise I can give you if you are going to run cabling through a wall, is run your stud sensor up and down where you plan to drop the wire, this can let you know if you are going to hit a fire block in the wall or not.

I'm installing a system in my 2 story as we speak. It's a lot of work, and every home is "unique" so I'd say it is impossible for others to tell you how easy it will be until you get in there and see what kind of access you have. I'm lucky...as this is my home, and I know the attic spaces like the back of my hand. There are no visible wires or conduit on my home, and there will not be once I'm done either. a huge factor to me is where the DVR is going to be...as all roads lead to the DVR, so if it's in a difficult to access location like mine is, then you'll have your work cut out for you.