jtetterton

Outdoor CAT5 recommendations ?

Hello all! Thanks for the great resource here. I'm planning my new system for my home and need advice on what type of cat5 cable to run. I'm installing 3 VCM-24F cameras, the longest cable run to be about 90 feet. I plan on using baluns and doing video over 1 pair and power over 2 pair. What type of cat5 is recommend for outdoor use? It won't be buried, simply tucked into the vinyl siding and brought into the house at a central point.

Thanks!

Jason

I have had Cat 5 from DVR to computer running up the side of my 2 story home for about 4 years now. It has been exposed to the four seasons here and full afternoon sun in summer. No problems with connection. But I have always wondered if I should switch to outdoor rated.

Just be careful with cheap cable.

Was recently on alarm site where they ran some cat5 and it breaks really easy.

no idea what type it is, but just a heads up.

After using RG59 and 18awg, this stuff is like doing brain surgery.

Push it a little too hard a couple times and snap its gone.

I still dont get how they sell this stuff for security.

Just be careful with cheap cable.

Was recently on alarm site where they ran some cat5 and it breaks really easy.

no idea what type it is, but just a heads up.

+1 cat5 has now got the same rules as a dvr DONT buy unbranded brown or white box with no maker on it.

IT company was installing fire detection at a location we were at ... 2 days they spent looking for a problem on two beams even to the point they brought in the beam company.

we have a machine called a cable grabber so we pluged there cable in and it said 29ft 3 inch pair blue (thats how far from machine to break) splice in 6 inches and it was done.

cause. installers laid cable out along floor and to get it straight the guy whipped the cable to get it straight