bbrown

GV-NVR - IPCAM install "Catastrophic Failure"

Hoping one of the guru's here can help... or at least has run into this same problem.

I'm attempting to install version 8.5 of the GV-NVR onto a new PC to record our shiny new GV 5MP box cam. During installation of the IPCAM software, when it's just about to finish (the .net 1.1 and MS C++ seem to install OK), I get an error box that reads:

Unhandled Exception - Catastrophic Failure 0x8000FFFF

(Installation was on an Athlon II X3 processor system with an NVIDIA chipset motherboard w/ WinXP SP3)

Clicking OK to clear the error, the installation seemed to otherwise complete normally. The GV-NVR software would load, but whenever I attempted to link the camera to the NVR, the system would give me the message about missing USB key - 0 licenses for cam.

I assumed this might be a hardware incompatibility, so I found an older PC (HP Pavilion desktop PC w/Athlon 64 processor) and attempted installation there. Installation completed with no errors, NVR software ran with no errors, and I was able to successfully link the camera to the NVR and commence recording.

So... this seemed to confirm the hardware incompatibility. I ran to the local hardware shop, and picked up an ASIS P8H67-M LE motherboard (Intel H67 B3 chipset) along with a Core I3 2120 processor. I replaced the Athlon II X3 processor/motherboard with the new kit, reformatted the hard drive with a clean WinXP, and proceeded to install the GV-NVR software again.

"Unhandled Exception - Catastrophic Failure 0x8000ffff"

Also, this same install fails if I attempt to use version 8.4, however 8.2's install works just fine (though I only loaded the ipcam software with 8.2, not the entire NVR package). I haven't tried 8.3 as I don't have it on hand.

I've spoken with usavisionsys support about this, and they're as baffled as I am. They would like me to provide remote access to the NVR during off hours (my time, not Taipei time) so their engineers can check it out. My only issue there is that I don't really want folks I don't know running around my network while I'm tucked away in bed...

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wits end here

OK, I figured out a workaround, though not a solution.

Workaround = Use Windows 7 and not WinXP. Installation and operation is flawless in Win7.

I guess it's time to embrace the future!

GeoVision tech support baffled??? Noooo really? (rolls eyes). I find that i usually start up a chat session with them just to blow off steam, and fix it myself. Theres a few good eggs there who will look into an issue (Chee for example), but some of them, especially this one girl, are about as usefull as asking SIRI for help...

Anyway, yeah windows 7 is prolly your best bet if it solved your issues. Im still using Windows XP in my ghost images too... REALLY need to upgrade one of these days but im lazy and just like what i know works... but im getting hit with memory liimts and HD size limits lately so i really should start doing this. Maybe Friday I will since i may have time, hasta be done.