ThomasSmith

Desperate: "thief" cheating our wired CCTV constantly?

[if you don't have time to read the long post, just please answer the following question, we're really desperate: is it possible to jam wired CCTV cameras in any way, without any physical/software trace, such that the RECORDED VIDEO doesn't show anything later?]

Sorry for the off-topic start (sorry if it's wrong subforum...), but I must tell. Sorry for long winded post but we're truly desperate with my husband. A family, supposedly a neighbour family we know (who is jealous and hates us, they are three: man,woman,19yr-old son), has kept harassing us, the police can't do anything because no evidence and no damage. We live in a detached house, and we noticed in May that some stuff disappeared, later it reappeared again... even clothes, and they reappeared again in dirty state. Then cash was stolen. So each time we visited grandma 100km away and left the house alone, things disappeared and re-appeared in different places, usually in not too obvious places so we noticed them only later (e.g. in the bottom of drawers). We changed locks, but no luck. Then we got installed a motion detector and alarm system (wireless DSC), we thought it will be OK, but things remained the same bad (just more sporadical). So we ordered CCTV system, the technician told us that probably the intruders jam the DSC system when they come in. The DVR was put to a protected room of the house, and to a safe, and a wired IP camera checking that room. But signs kept coming again (each time we visit grandma), it is a big house (two floors), and it was my idea we need an UPS because he could just turn off electricity earlier (in the garden). So technicians installed an UPS to the protected room, so all cameras and DVR are on ups. It seemed the signs started to disappear (nothing for weeks). But last time we were away (at daylight), and we returned, there were again a few minor signs: some paper put to a drawer in the bedroom, and a sponge disappeared in the kitchen. But there is a camera in the kitchen, and also cameras in the two rooms where kitchen and bedroom can be reached! We checked all the recordings and no luck... Even though there are two facts:

1. CCTV cameras were on Motion recording AND in Regular recording mode too, so it recorded everything but divided them to two groups (motion records and regular records). And some recordings (files) are black, but these files usually take up 2-3 seconds from normal time (so we thought it's bug of motion detector), even though their actual video file length is just 1 sec (?).

2. Cameras were put to 5 fps (I now changed it to 25fps), and we tested it and it was possible to trick one camera with fast running in kitchen. But how they could know it was on 5 fps? And how come they took the risk, still? And the camera in other rooms could not be tricked in this way (too big rooms for fast running in short time).

Their house is 30m away, and houses are built very close to each other (each with garden, but the fences are shared). Btw we think they starting visiting our house long ago, and when we have been to Spain a few years ago for holidays, it was 3 weeks so they could explore every bit of the house and install anything (even that time, we noticed minor traces, but we didn't think it was intruder).

Question 2: also it looks like they are always one step forward compared to us; so we guess they tap and wiretap us. With phone, we hear clicking sounds sometimes, it's a DECT phone so we know it can be tapped. But we think we are tapped. Where should we search for the bugs? A bug needs electrical power, so if its battery is empty, then it doesn't work... so I suppose they connected it to electricity. Mostly we talk in kitchen (90% of time), so I guess it must be there. Is it possible to be inside a microwave oven? That is the only thing we didn't check (apart from the 'usual' oven). I checked tables, lamp, but nothing nowhere.

P.S.: we're not crazy/paranoid, just truly unlucky victims of psychopaths, it seems.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Linda

To verify that this is not a hoax, how do the alleged intruders enter your house?

There are a limited number of entry points to a house. It is possible to establish if any door or window has been opened by using discrete material jambed in all frames.

1-get a hard wired alarm. they can jam away all day long but it wont do anything.

2-get radio monitoring for said alarm, make radio primary, telco secondary.

3-set recording to continuous record only (no motion, for troubleshooting).

4-get a different locksmith. if there is no sign of forced entry, something is not right.

5-if not already, get security screens/bars for your windows.

rory: thx, will do.

To verify that this is not a hoax, how do the alleged intruders enter your house?

There are a limited number of entry points to a house. It is possible to establish if any door or window has been opened by using discrete material jambed in all frames.

We're sure they enter via lockpicking (as there are no signs), they open the locks, no matter what lock is installed. We checked on internet and indeed there are lockpicking hobbyists opening practically any lock. There are many entrances (3 ones, and very many windows, and even roof), but windows are modern and shouldn't be openable without traces. Btw there were some traces (apparent damage) on locks and doorframe INSIDE the house, but those are old doors somewhat so police surely wouldn't have taken us seriosuly (and think about all the things I wrote: they would think we're mentally ill); so we thought it is just trick (hijacking attention). As I said, they want to annoy us, they want to show us that they can enter the house (even though they never tell it openly). But they always seem to know when we're at home, because new signs appear always when we return from a longer journey. We don't have any friend who we could ask to guard house at night.

1-get a hard wired alarm. they can jam away all day long but it wont do anything.

2-get radio monitoring for said alarm, make radio primary, telco secondary.

3-set recording to continuous record only (no motion, for troubleshooting).

4-get a different locksmith. if there is no sign of forced entry, something is not right.

5-if not already, get security screens/bars for your windows.

Thanks. 2 and 3 already in progress. About 4 and 5: as I said, they enter without signs, even though they may be minor lockpicking traces (unless they already made an own key).

And sorry to be harsh but this is damn NOT a hoax, it's damn true, and most ppl who we told it were just laughing. Its damn not funny when it happens with your family.

also look at a nanny cam .. or similar.

Get a ready made one like a teddy bare that records to SD card.

Or make your own.

Totally separate from your main DVR.

First thing I would do is change the alarm though, get something that works.

and not wireless in this case.

That said a good wireless alarm is not that easy to jam.

I know nothing about DSC, used/installed/serviced Ademco for 12+ years though.

And oh yeah, I would change the tech company, incase they are involved.

Or at least get a 2nd opinion. Its hard for us to tell whats what from this end.

Thanks. 2 and 3 already in progress. About 4 and 5: as I said, they enter without signs, even though they may be minor lockpicking traces (unless they already made an own key).

With security screens or iron bars, there will be a considerable trace if they were to break through those.

Also, you can have your regular window screens alarmed - it would be re-screened with alarm mesh. So if the screen is cut or pushed through, the alarm goes off. This can tie into your existing alarm in most cases - cost should be somewhat minimal, maybe the cost to re-screen a window, plus the contacts/magnets/wireless transmitters, depending on the alarm.

Thank you.

Apart of the main issue, do you think it's impossible to jam a hard-wired CCTV? Assuming he came from roof (to second floor), I think he could access the cable (but not the protected room, DVR, or else!), only the cable that leads to cameras. But there were no physical traces anywhere. Is it possible to jam CCTV by doing something with the cable? I don't think it's a particularly shielded cable, just normal one (which brings signal from camera, and brings power to camera), I think UTP cable. Maybe to put it to a very strong magnetic field or such?

As far as unpickable locks go, I use the Mul-T-Lock MT5. This ingeniously devious lock uses a key unlike anything you've seen before. A set of double pins strike both lateral faces of the key making keyless entry potentially impossible. If it couldn't defeat the interloper, it would certainly throw down the gauntlet.

http://locksmithindallas.org/the-new-mul-t-lock-mt5-is-an-unpickable-lock/

Edited by Guest

We don't have any friend who we could ask to guard house at night.

good ip camera with audio out to a monitoring station. when your not there 24/7 monitoring

if your dvr is attached to a network with wireless capability, they could be breaking into it.

if you think they are picking your locks, you can put tamper proof security tape over them before you leave. While every locked can be picked, only a few people can pick certain types of locks (like medeco) but these locks aren't cheap.

alternatively you could install door position switches in your doors (your intrusion system could already have this) and connect them to an alarm point in your dvr so you know if anyone has been opening your doors.

Optex passive infrared detectors on the perimeter outside, tied to your DVR. DVR set to email images to your smart phone when the PIR goes off. You can't get within 30 feet of my house without me getting an image on my phone.

Optex passive infrared detectors on the perimeter outside, tied to your DVR. DVR set to email images to your smart phone when the PIR goes off. You can't get within 30 feet of my house without me getting an image on my phone.

Remind me to get naked the next time I'm around your house... that'll learn ya!

As far as unpickable locks go, I use the Mul-T-Lock MT5. This ingeniously devious lock uses a key unlike anything you've seen before. A set of double pins strike both lateral faces of the key making keyless entry potentially impossible. If it couldn't defeat the interloper, it would certainly throw down the gauntlet.

I was going to suggest this as well. Not only are they practically (probably 99.99%) unpickable, but it requires a special tool to cut the keys, and only fully certified shops are given that tool, so it's not something that any shyster with a needle file can dash off on a whim. The keys are all serialized as well, and registered to the person or company they're cut for. http://www.mul-t-lock.ca/

mul-t-lock-clef-classic.jpg

As far as jamming wired cameras... sure it's POSSIBLE, but it would be highly impractical without some military-grade equipment... and it would probably show up as interference on your recording.

To tapping the phones: the easiest way would be for them to simply split off the line outside of your house. You could ask the phone company to check for this, as wiretapping is a *federal* offense.

Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters demonstrated that a PIR can be beaten when the intruder covers his body with a cotton sheet.

The Patriot Act allows Law Enforcement to enter a premise in the US and conduct searches unbeknown to the owners. These searches require a warrant. If your house is being searched, the State could be doing it. I would assume then, that no amount of technology will stop them.

mythbusters-jamie-hyneman-bio-324x205.jpg.03a5f4bee31904565b12aedcdd9e4bb2.jpg

Jamie Hyneman from Mythbusters demonstrated that a PIR can be beaten when the intruder covers his body with a cotton sheet.

yes its always best to pay more than $4 for a sensor...... lets see them do it with a optex

The Patriot Act allows Law Enforcement to enter a premise in the US and conduct searches unbeknown to the owners. These searches require a warrant. If your house is being searched, the State could be doing it. I would assume then, that no amount of technology will stop them.

were did all that come from ............. so law enforcement have entered the ops home and moved the spong from the kitchen

Obviously the Illuminati overlords are having their CIA minions infiltrate the OP's house and randomly move objects around in an attempt to make them paranoid... for what nefarious purpose, we may never know...

(sorry, OP, that wasn't a dig at you...)

yes its always best to pay more than $4 for a sensor...... lets see them do it with a optex

Are you saying that Optex can not be defeat it ?

I am talking about PIR only

were did all that come from ............. so law enforcement have entered the ops home and moved the spong from the kitchen

I actually lol'ed at that... a real LOL, not a fake internet LOL either.

Are you saying that Optex can not be defeat it ?

I am talking about PIR only

a redwall (optex) cant be defeated by just putting a cotten sheet over yourself which is what is being surgested.

a redwall (optex) cant be defeated by just putting a cotten sheet over yourself which is what is being surgested.

I guess on open forum we should not talk about how to defeat

I am sure u know how easy this task is

So we have a neighbour who is capable of:

1. Picking locks: "We changed locks, but no luck."

2. Defeating PIRs: "intruders jam the DSC system when they come in"

3. Defeating Motion Detection: "CCTV cameras were on Motion recording"

4. Blocking Continous Recording: "AND in Regular recording mode too"

5. Tapping phone(s): "so we guess they tap and wiretap us"

6. Placing covert microphones inside the house: "Where should we search for the bugs?"

Who hasn't misplaced a pair of socks?: "some stuff disappeared, later it reappeared again... even clothes"

(i) What motive would be sufficient to defeat 1 thru 6?

(ii) And what kind of a civilian could defeat 1 thru 6?

Maybe the intruder is Napoleon Solo - The Man from U.N.C.L.E.