casey

Connectors

Well my house is now framed and I'm about a week away from wiring. I hope to do a 12 camera system and will be using RG59 cable.

Should I go with twisted or crinp BNC connectors? Is one better than the other? What tools/crimpers are needed? Any info and opinions would be helpfull.

Thanks

Just use twisted. Either way you will need to play with them first to get the hang of doing them properly.

There is no need for crimp for a home, in fact I only use twist on for businesses too, and never ever had a problem. Just have to know how to do twist on properly or it will not hold, and same goes for crimp on, seen both types come off with ease. There is already a thread on this please post your ideas over there. If you want to waste some extra money and time though you can try the crimp way.

I've also had crimps pull off. I use twist-ons when I can, just a personal pref. After finished screwing, give it a tug, and retighten... it'll hold. If you tug and it slips; you best leave more outer and try again.

Thanks for all the thoughts on bnc connectors.

For wire I will use 18awg siamese. Does a common power supply have to be hard wired or can it just plug into an outlet? I hope to use my master closet as the system center.

The Multi Ouput power supply comes with a Plug, you normally have to manually screw the wires into the power supply, but the plug can just go in any socket.

Casey, do you know who much siamese cables will you be using? Dependent on amount of cables being used, another option that most of the homeowners that we worked with run CAT5E cables and then using passive baluns and they work great...

If you are running a lot of cable, I will suggest to do some cost comparison between siamese cable and BNC connectors cost vs. CAT5E cables with passive baluns costs... Dependent which one is lower, then I will suggest going with that route...

All the homeowners that we worked with that is runing cables on a brand new construction of a property always used CAT5E cables and baluns and the overall costs were cheaper than running siamese cables...

Just a thought...

Levon

Also cat5 baluns are going to be much easier to handle for a non professional, as opposed to dealing with BNC connectors. Levon has a point

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I plan to run cat-5 for telephone and internet. I know very little about cat-5. Will cat-5 cable serve as a camera power cable also? What is a balun's function? If I do choose to run cat-5 are there some types that work better? Like cat-5"E"?

Thanks again,

Casey

Casey, just run CAT5E for all your telephone, internet and for your security cameras.

For the camera equipment, just run a single CAT5E per camera location. Since this cable comes with 4 pairs, you can use the first pair to provide your power for the camera (regardless if you are using 12VDC or 24VAC) and the second pair to transfer the video. Then you have another 2 pairs still available, just in case if something is wrong with one of the pairs (short, open)... Besides, it is a thiner cable so running it is much simpler and easier...

AS for what is a video balun and without getting too technical, a balun is a small transformer which converts an audio, video, or VGA signal from unbalanced to balanced and vice versa. By doing so, baluns make the necessary impedance adjustments for A/V signal transmission between different wiring systems. With the correct hardware, you can easily extend CAT5E cable up to 1,500 direct run without any loss of the video signal quality.

Here is another very interesting option for your to consider: Make sure all your surveillance camera, audio, video and all the cables are run in a centrilzed location in your property. This way, you will have a single location to connect, disconnect or add any equipment of your choice...

Have you ever considered using video modulators to be able to view all your cameras in different TVs at different rooms? This gear is available for homeowners and this way, regardless which room you are, you can switch the predefined channel of your TV and see the pictures from all your cameras.

Levon

Now why would you run Cat5 in bare walls? It makes no sense. Throw some siamese in there, crimp some BNC connectors on there, and done. Cat 5 is for phone/data. Stay away from "balloons" unless it is a last resort.

Data, because it works

As I suggested, calculate approximate siamese cable & BNC connector costs and compare to CAT5E cables and balun costs and if it makes sense (it normally does) then go with it...

Levon

Data, because it works

As I suggested, calculate approximate siamese cable & BNC connector costs and compare to CAT5E cables and balun costs and if it makes sense (it normally does) then go with it...

Levon

I hadn't seen any statements on pricing from Casey, so I understood it was not a factor.

I wouldn't trust CAT 5 with 24 voltage, it WAS NOT designed to carry it. Now, I am not saying you haven't had success in running Cat5e instead of Siamese,but if I had a choice, it would be Siamese hands down.

Data, I have wired my house with 16 cameras using nothing but CAT5E and baluns to transfer vide and then I use video modulators for all my 8 TVs and I can extract any video regardless where I am in my house... I can tell you that it works with spades and it was much more cost effective than using siamese cables or any other combination...

Levon

We have been using crimps almost 100% Found out that the tecks think they know how to put them on but lots of times they don't get the braid crimped properly. has anyone used twist on and then sealed them with epoxy??