nicksti

Advice: IR Camera + DVR for Office

Layout: Small, square, 600sq ft office space (think nail salon)

Cameras: 1-2 indoor IR dome cameras no ptz needed. one/two way audio would be nice. tamperproof too. nice but not necessary. wdr nice too.

DVR: Enough to record for a week which should not be asking too much for a 2 camera setup. Remote viewing neessary.

Buget: I want decent cameras. Not low end, not high end, something in the middle.

I am more familiar with the IP world. Axis, ACTi and how much good cameras cost. I do not know anything about cctv. Which brands are good? How much will a decent ir dome camera run me in the cctv world?

If you're already familiar with IP cameras, why not just use a couple IP cameras and a small NVR, like a QNAP or something?

If you're already familiar with IP cameras, why not just use a couple IP cameras and a small NVR, like a QNAP or something?

QNAP I am not familiar with but I will check it out. I am under the impression that cctv cameras are more reasonably priced than IP, but that may not be true? I did not want to turn it into an ip vs cc comparison. I have used ACTi $300 to $400 cameras and love the picture quality but I am looking for something more in the $100 to $150 range, unless this is still junk.

Would you be able to give me a suggestion for a mid level camera to use?

Edit: I am looking at the QNAP SoHo system now. Looks very interesting. Thanks!

Edit #2: The QNAP NVR outside my budget.

Edited by Guest

Hi another option is hybrid. the aver nano 4 way will take 4 ip or 4 analog. i would look at 1 good 3 or 5mp to cover the full nail salon and have 3 analog spread out 1 on door way and i would also place 1 outside and if you have a back door i would also install 1 there.

IP does tend to be a bit more for the cameras, but by the same token, you don't need capture hardware on the recording end, so you save some there. Also, if you don't need the resolution, there are standard-def IP cameras that cost less than megapixel.

In any case, for analog, I highly recommend this camera: CNB VCM-24VF - we use these extensively indoor and out: they're vandal-resistant, flush or surface mount, 2.8-10.5mm lens gives a lot of range, and they're a true-day/night camera that works great with very low light (so IR not required in most instances).

I totally forgot another thing. Power. How can I send power to the cameras?

I have used ACTi 3511 which is obviously a lot more expensive. PoE switch, run cable to camera, good to go. Would you have a suggestion for a $200 PoE capable IR dome camera with decent picture quality?

If you're using coax for the cameras, 18/2 for power is the most common... we usually used 22/4 station wire. Or you can get Siamese wire that has coax and 18/2 wires joined by a web.

Or, use Cat5e with baluns (balanced/unbalanced line adapters) to send video over one pair, and power over two or three other pairs. Using UTP gives you the advantage that it's an easy upgrade to IP cameras should the desire ever arise.

I have used ACTi 3511 which is obviously a lot more expensive. PoE switch, run cable to camera, good to go. Would you have a suggestion for a $200 PoE capable IR dome camera with decent picture quality?

It's been YEARS since I installed a camera with IR. We've been mostly using CNB analog cameras that have sufficient low-light performance, that IR isn't needed.

Layout: Small, square, 600sq ft office space (think nail salon)

Cameras: 1-2 indoor IR dome cameras no ptz needed. one/two way audio would be nice. tamperproof too. nice but not necessary. wdr nice too.

DVR: Enough to record for a week which should not be asking too much for a 2 camera setup. Remote viewing neessary.

Buget: I want decent cameras. Not low end, not high end, something in the middle.

Look for 2.8-12mm Vandal Color IR Turret Dome (Eyeball) approx $100 retail.

Avg 30' usable Infrared. Not good for pointing at doors.

Some now come with Sony Effio which may have BLC settings in an OSD.

The rest are normally non OSD though and automatic settings.

Its the step up from the basic color IR 3.6mm dome.

For WDR use a WDR Dome, eg. CNB has some reasonable priced Blue-i domes, approx retail $130-160. Depends if you get the Digital WDR or the Double Scan True WDR. Neither are Panasonic type WDR, but the price is 4 times less.

Audio would be separate, can pick up any mic for CCTV apps.

DVR, Dahua LE-A 4 channel, or on an extreme budget their LE-AS/AN.

Sold under various brands such as QVis.

4-channel with 4 cameras and 500GB should give approx 3-4 weeks recording continuous (depends on size of images, determined by eg. Resolution size, Color or BW, etc).

CNB and KT&C are decent mid range brands, and the actual manufacturers.

The 2.8-12mm Turret IR dome though would be a rebrand/OEM.

The RG59 siamese cable has 18awg cable built in, you send power over that.

Power supply will depend on your needs, can either use a single adapter for all if on an extreme budget (eg. Laptop cord with built in 3-5A 12VDC adapter), or get a better multi output fused box (eg. Altronix).