videoVIP

Here's a good one: Baby monitoring w/audio?

Client has a HUGE home. They've tried every type of video baby monitor, even one that I recommended. Nothing seems to work.

For whatever reason, they've decided to put the kid in a room at the complete opposite end of the home (you need a road map to get there), and wish to monitor him (video/audio) from the master bedroom. They do not want to use a PC or Ipad/Iphone, nor do they need to record. They only want a "live" 24/7 feed.

Home has been professionally pre-wired with CAT5 and RG6 in every room. There is a spare RG6 in each room, which meet at a patch panel in the garage.

My idea is to use a video modulator which would send the signal down the RG6 to a portable 10" TV in the master bedroom. However, I'm not sure if they make modulators which transmit audio. Ideally, the same modulator, when coupled with a signal injector, can also send the feed to any TV in the home. I've done this before, but not with video AND audio.

Does anyone have another/better idea?

Edit: Just did some reading on the modulators I've used before...apparently they combine the audio & video into a TV signal: http://www.netmedia.com/vs2005/man-mm70s.pdf

sounds like a good job for a bi wire. camera - power - audio and data ove 1 rg6 ( if both ends from each room are in the basement)

I've found some video/power over coax cameras, but nothing with audio. And yes, I have two free RG6 cables that meet in the garage.

sounds like a good job for a bi wire. camera - power - audio and data ove 1 rg6 ( if both ends from each room are in the basement)

I've found some video/power over coax cameras, but nothing with audio. And yes, I have two free RG6 cables that meet in the garage.

PM sent. these are good for video -audio and power upto 1800 ft on a standard 12v camera (you will have to add a good microphone.)

PM sent. These are good for video -audio and power up to 1800 ft on a standard 12v camera (you will have to add a good microphone.)

Thanks for the info. I think we're both on the same track. Your solution (sorta) puts me back at square one, though. If you'll take a look at the modulator I've linked in my original post, you'll see it passes audio. Now I need a camera that has both audio & video. The modulator you provided splits the audio/video at the final connection. I don't think I could inject that into a TV without an additional convertor/modulator.

You could always put a small computer into the TV and pick up an IP camera (I imagine you know this already). Or get an Axis camera and a decoder, or similar.

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_292/index.htm

I know...they're taking a step backwards. I tried to sell them one of the many Axis cams I have laying around. They don't want to deal with computers (booting, locking-up, logging-on, etc.). They're looking for a "live" feed.

PM sent. These are good for video -audio and power up to 1800 ft on a standard 12v camera (you will have to add a good microphone.)

Thanks for the info. I think we're both on the same track. Your solution (sorta) puts me back at square one, though. If you'll take a look at the modulator I've linked in my original post, you'll see it passes audio. Now I need a camera that has both audio & video. The modulator you provided splits the audio/video at the final connection. I don't think I could inject that into a TV without an additional convertor/modulator.

I don't think I could inject that into a TV without an additional convertor/modulator

its just a RCA for video and RCA for audio direct into TV.

i dont understand why you would need a modulator when using spare cables. spare cable from master room and spare cable from baby room link both in basement and you have a direct feed

i dont understand why you would need a modulator when using spare cables. spare cable from master room and spare cable from baby room link both in basement and you have a direct feed

Two reasons: How would you pass audio & video thru a single coax without some sort of converter or modulator? I can easily send the video signal directly thru the RG6, but what about audio? Typically, cameras with audio use a separate cable for the audio.

Secondly, I would like to give the client the ability to view the feed on any TV in the home, in addition to the "dedicated" monitor.

Two reasons: How would you pass audio & video thru a single coax without some sort of converter or modulator? I can easily send the video signal directly thru the RG6, but what about audio? Typically, cameras with audio use a separate cable for the audio.

hi. the link i sent was Video audio and power over coax. nothing else needed . i end you plug camera and audio (mic) the other end you just plug into TV.

Secondly, I would like to give the client the ability to view the feed on any TV in the home, in addition to the "dedicated" monitor.

sorry thats were i got lost. you only talked about baby room master room and using the spare coax. then yes you would not use the spare coax in this case and use the existing TV feeds around the house. but you will have a problem with audio.

hi. the link i sent was Video audio and power over coax. nothing else needed .

Correct. And the modulator I referenced in my first post will also do the same thing (with exception of power, which isn't an issue). So we can use a modulator or we can use a "converter". We've got that covered either way. Now all I need is a camera with audio.

We've got that covered either way. Now all I need is a camera with audio.

have another think first. your modulator HAS to be fitted before any splitter. so that still means you have to run NEW cables from baby room down to basement. and with doing that you will also need to amplifie the audio signal. you still only have coax from baby room. you still need to get video and audio down that cable first. then into your modulator

have another think first. your modulator HAS to be fitted before any splitter. so that still means you have to run NEW cables from baby room down to basement. and with doing that you will also need to amplifie the audio signal. you still only have coax from baby room. you still need to get video and audio down that cable first. then into your modulator

If I read the installation instructions correctly (page 2 of the .pdf), camera/audio plugs in to modulator, modulator plugs in to cable, converting video/audio to a tuneable TV signal. At that point you can go direct to TV tuner or splitter/combiner. I would install the camera & modulator in one j-box in baby's room.

sorry i did not see your link. but even looking at your link and the digram that model still needs to be at the beginning of any splitter or digi box. 90% of the time if you put a modulator in secondery line it will scramble the existing tv signals or make tv unwatchable

the only way if you are putting the modulator in the baby room is the coax will have to be point to point. (baby room to master room) only on a second tv just for baby monitor

90% of the time if you put a modulator in secondery line it will scramble the existing tv signals or make tv unwatchable

That's what the splitter/combiner is for. Prevents "mixing" of the signals. These are different than a traditional splitter.

Going point-to-point is the primary goal. If I can get the signal to all TV's, that's just a bonus for the client.

Still need a camera with audio...

That's what the splitter/combiner is for. Prevents "mixing" of the signals.

yes but only at the head end .... useless if used inline.

Still need a camera with audio...

with a modulator you also need a amp for audio. so best looking for a standard camera and seperate microphone

Hmmm, whole house is wired for network you say?

Easy solution: appropriate IP camera in the baby's room, upgrade all TVs to "Smart TVs"... TV's browser then just access the camera via the network. Easy-peasy!

(And down the road, once they figure out that iPads are actually cool, they can view the camera from their iPads too... or smart phones.)

Hmmm, whole house is wired for network you say?

Easy solution: appropriate IP camera in the baby's room, upgrade all TVs to "Smart TVs"... TV's browser then just access the camera via the network. Easy-peasy!

(And down the road, once they figure out that iPads are actually cool, they can view the camera from their iPads too... or smart phones.)

Not sure they're willing to swap out all their TV's for networkable units. They tried the Ipad with a webcam and the Ipad keeps timing out. They want a direct, "live" feed.

Well, you can always get boxes like LG's "Smart TV Upgrader"... same idea as an AppleTV. They go for <$100 and work on the same basic principle: plug into the network (or connect via WiFi) and run browser, streaming, services like Netflix, etc. on any HDMI-capable display.

From the sounds of the size of this place though, they could just sell off the North Wing and have enough spare change to buy all new TVs

Hi, I need to get a 220 volt baby monitor or any good one that runs on batteries.

Does anyone know the best brand for it and also where can I get it on affordable price?

Thanks in advance!