DataAve

Need a little help

I have some Day/Night cams and I need a little help on the lighting. I have the lighting (Halogen) directly behind the cam, and yet I still get a grainy picture. My target would be the SUV (or driveway). If I turned the day/night feature off, I still get grain. The light is definately bright enough (it is hard to look at directly). The picture is perfect durring the day, but I just can't get rid of the graininess at night. Any suggestions? Oh, the cam is a Bosch FlexidomeXT LTC 1462/21.

Here is the DAY shot

lighting.gif

Here is night BLACK AND WHITE

bw.gif

Here is night COLOR

night.gif

not sure if this will help but try to have your light no so much just illuminating the open area but more directed towards an object so that it may bounce of the object. Hey its worth a shot.

only thing I can see from digital day night cameras like this is.

Same Lux Level. Difference is in low light have it switch to BW to remove the noise.

thats it.

Otherwise you need a TRUE day night camera, which will be lower lux in color, and even lower in BW, and also less noise while in color mode.

Another thing that will help would be to lower the camera physically, or at least cut out the eave.

Rory

Well when using infrared, the lower you get the camera, and higher you point it, and the more reflective material you have in the foreground, the better the image is. Also, if you have an eave in the image can cause some issues where it darkens out the foreground in areas that it would normally be much brighter.

1st looks out of focus........2nd good, 3rd...why color if the 2nd works well?

IR..........Rory is most likely talking about the "extreme" camera line up and his advice may apply to that expensive camera and not to most of the cheaper IR types out there. an extreme beam and a cheaper beam can't compare when installing and setting them up.

Specs, specs, specs.......................the ability to read and understand the specs of each camera helps you place and set-up correctly. the limits of those specs also restricts your options.

Because I read the SPECS... because it is a Bosch FlexidomeXT and it DOES NOT allow you to keep B&W full time. It is technology called NightSense (a.k.a. NoSense). Anytime light comes into the area of view, it flickers and reverts to color-when the light source leaves (car headlights) it switches back to B&W. Sometimes a hint of light will come into the area, and it will flicker. You can, however, turn off the "NoSense," but you then get a very poor color image. Very poor design and my last Bosch purchase.

Because I read the SPECS... because it is a Bosch FlexidomeXT and it DOES NOT allow you to keep B&W full time. It is technology called NightSense (a.k.a. NoSense). Anytime light comes into the area of view, it flickers and reverts to color-when the light source leaves (car headlights) it switches back to B&W. Sometimes a hint of light will come into the area, and it will flicker. You can, however, turn off the "NoSense," but you then get a very poor color image. Very poor design and my last Bosch purchase.

I can understand how frustrating it can be that a D/N cam cannot "keep B&W full time" while it's supposed to be in B&W mode. Try out the Sony D/N cams which allow you to choose the time threshold between 5s and 30s for color/B&W transition to occur, in order to prevent "hunting". Momentary strong lights like car headlights won't trigger a transition if they're shorter than 30sec, etc.

VST_Man, I think Rory is getting at the difference between true D/N and others that simply switch to B&W. Non-Extreme true D/Ns also have different lux rating for color vs. B&W mode, so I guess he's not referring to Extreme brand in particular.

I can understand how frustrating it can be that a D/N cam cannot "keep B&W full time" while it's supposed to be in B&W mode. Try out the Sony D/N cams which allow you to choose the time threshold between 5s and 30s for color/B&W transition to occur, in order to prevent "hunting". Momentary strong lights like car headlights won't trigger a transition if they're shorter than 30sec, etc.

VST_Man, I think Rory is getting at the difference between true D/N and others that simply switch to B&W. Non-Extreme true D/Ns also have different lux rating for color vs. B&W mode, so I guess he's not referring to Extreme brand in particular.

I will do that today and post the shot. I will post the SONY shot also. You will most definitely notice the quality.