I was just curious if anyone knows were it the bottle neck in an NVR. By looking are performance monitor it doesn't seem to be the CPU, Network or Hard drives. It is it the bus?

I have a Xeon 2.4 quad core with about 80 megapixels of data with a SAS storage of about 20tb, with 2 Gig ports one in and one out

Thanks for you input

What NVR? What cameras? What codec? Are you running the VMS on the system as well, or strictly NVR functions? What are the actual symptoms that make you think there's a "bottleneck"?

What is your incoming and out going bandwidth? Why SAS drives? Total over kill for a NVR.

If he's running it on an "off the shelf" server (Dell, etc.) it's possible it came with SAS drives already installed. Look at it this way, it's definitely scaleable.

Well, he states 80 megapixels... depending on frame rate that can range from 67Mbps - 402Mbps (@ 5-30fps) using H.264. If using MJPEG, that will saturate a 1Gig network even at 5 fps. These are just rough estimates as I have no idea the actual frame rates of the individual cameras (are these 8 10MP cameras? 40 2MP cameras, etc?)

Thanks for all the replies

Dell t310 Server 2.4 ghz xeon with 4gig Ram

It is running exacq

H.264

Average FPS of 7

...... maybe its just the way an NVR works. I do realize that it is trying to record and then spit it back out off the same hard drive

When I try to view a full screen of live video like 4x4 so 16 5mp camera it just seems so jerky.

Yes I know SAS is an overkill but I pulled it off their old pelco system and just replaced all the old 300gb drives

Dell t310 Server 2.4 ghz xeon with 4gig Ram

It is running exacq

When I try to view a full screen of live video like 4x4 so 16 5mp camera it just seems so jerky.

I will not be surprised if your video card is weak`

need good card to decode H.264 properly