ocdchris

$60 cam out performing $200 cam? Pic

Hey guys. I hope that someone can help me out on this. I have a small system with different brands of cameras. The best camera I own is a Clinton CE-VF54IR (#3 in this picture) It is mounted on the back of my shop. On the front of my shop is a $60 no name camera (#1 in this picture)

This pic was taken at dusk with no extra light sources. Any idea why the clinton is so dark? The ir's are all functioning.

Thanks guys.

chris

cammmmmmmmmmmmmmc.png.1928eb199304c19d53024d48be3774d8.png

The clinton doesn't appear to be a true day/night camera, so it is not going to do well in low light. The PDF on the camera shows a lot of potential for setting various parameters, so maybe you have something set wrong. Make sure the shutter speed isn't set too fast.

Channel 4 is a crappy one too but I have 4 x 50watt halogen pot lights on in that pic.

This is new to me. Wouldn't a cam with 42ir led's be considered a true night cam?

I can't access the menu because I don't have the Clinton plug in remote.

I don't know what it costs but I would buy it if you guys think it will make a difference.

Channel 4 is a crappy one too but I have 4 x 50watt halogen pot lights on in that pic.

This is new to me. Wouldn't a cam with 42ir led's be considered a true night cam?

I don't know what it costs but I would buy it if you guys think it will make a difference.

True day/night cameras have an infrared filter that automatically moves out of the way so the camera can see better in low light. It is called a removable IR cut filter. Since it is not a true day night camera, I would not spend any more on it.

Gads - you need a proprietary remote to access the OSD?? 42 LEDs and that's all you get for illumination? *gak*

You shouldn't be asking why a $60 camera is "outperforming" a $200 camera, you should be asking why you paid $200 for a $30 camera.

"Sense Up" is a "trick" many cameras use to get better night shots by slowing down the shutter speed, thus allowing the camera to collect more light, but at the expense of causing "motion blur" - like the truck in this shot:

184653_1.jpg

Check out the samples here for a good low-light camera, no IR required: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25383&start=59

That camera goes for well under $200

rarther than paying more money to the company (another $68) i would send the camera back. if it was a controller that went inline then ok. but its not you will only use it once and thats it.

2 options. 1, send camera back or 2, ask them to loan you a controller (if not returned in 14 days they can invoice you for it)

but i would not spend anymore money (you have already paid for a camera you cant set-up)

Thanks guys.

I'm gonna try a couple things. I'm gonna take it to the dealer and ask them to do a factory reset. Just in case this was messed with and returned before I purchased it.

If that doesn't work, I'm gonna use it in another location that has more light.

I can't return for refund because it is past the warranty. I purchased it a while ago as a spare and it was not installed until recently.

Is this outside in back or inside? Cheapest and probably most effective solution no matter WHAT camera you put in that spot- provide more light. Cameras like it, bad guys hate it.

It's outside and I have a 500watt halogen above it on a pir sensor. Works great when the light is triggered but I wanna see all the time. Btw, I picked up a control today at the dealer to access the settings. I also spoke to Clinton's tech support and they were very helpful. They seem to lean towards the settings but the camera is under warranty if that does not work out.

Do you have an adjustable Iris? If so check it. I had a camera that produced a bad picture, someone messed with the iris, now it looks great.

Do you have an adjustable Iris? If so check it. I had a camera that produced a bad picture, someone messed with the iris, now it looks great.

It's a varifocal. I played with the OSD and couldn't improve the night vision. I'm gonna send it back to see what they say.

FYI, I thought it could be the 12vdc power supply so I have switched over to 24v but nothing has changed.

Well friend , the IR is 15pcs or 24pcs ? it's because the IR is too weak.

I suggest you use some Array LED camera would be much better .