n0fx

CNB Professional Box Camera IR Question required?

I'm looking into buying the budget box cameras from CNB, especially the BBM-24F. I know the camera has a low lux already (.005) but I wanted to know if I still needed to get IRs for it? I'm going to be using this for a warehouse, which will be on 24 hours and it will be completely dark with no lights inside. I want to be able to see something around 60 to 75 feet away and the cameras will be around 12 to 15 feet up on the wall.

I know that getting the lens will also make a difference, setting up the right settings on the camera itself, but I wanted to know what you guys recommend for a lens? The box takes 1/3" CS mounted lens and from what I read from searching, it looks like you can just get standard lens like from Tamaron and such and just install it on these camera?

I'm debating between that BBM-24F or just using the CNB domes (DBM-24VF). Any input would be great, thanks.

If it's COMPLETELY dark, then you will need some kind of additional illumination, be it IR or visible light. The CNB Monalisa cameras do very well with minimal light - even a 60W bulb in the vicinity of the target area should give you good picture.

One question is, what exactly do you want to see - what size is the area of interest, and how much detail do you need? That will determine what focal length is needed, and may determine which camera is suitable. If the dome model's 2.8-10.5mm lens isn't tight enough, then you may have to go with the box cam just to be able to use a longer lens. And yes, any C or CS mount lens should do.

I would suggest if possible moving the camera 60' closer to what you want to see, rather than stretching the zoom all that way. Last year the installers put up an eyeball with IR for a wide shot of the warehouse where I work. Lights off, it provided nothing usable. I had to request the guys leave the center row of lights on overnight so I could at least see the inside of the place on camera. Works fine for that, but the wide overview isn't much of a help past just seeing if someone is in there- ID not possible beyond 6' in front of the camera. My opinion, of waste of the install, the view, and the electricity to have the lights on all night. But, you just can't tell some people.

Moral- don't make a good view go bad over a completely wrong FOV in there, in the dark to boot. Get the cameras close to where you need them and provide real light if possible, rather than IR. Warehouses are typically large areas. Aim/light accordingly or it's a waste. My opinion- cameras tight to people doors in/out and loading bay doors in/out. Leave the rest of the warehouse blind or if you must stick up a camera for a wide shot. Choke points in such a large area equals better, imo.

Yea, I'd definitely get some light in there. Typical visible light produces slightly better images, but if you want covert, go IR. The Monalisas respond wonderfully to low-light.

Yea, I'd definitely get some light in there. Typical visible light produces slightly better images, but if you want covert, go IR. The Monalisas respond wonderfully to low-light.

Nice thing with the Monalisas being TDN, they should also work well with external IR illuminators.

Not all 'monalisas' can see IR, my DFL-20S can't see any and some vendors claim this model is TDN.

Not all 'monalisas' can see IR, my DFL-20S can't see any and some vendors claim this model is TDN.

hi it depends on how old your camera is old DFLs are only 520tvl none monalisa.

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I think I'm going to try to move them closer to what I want to see and probably get some IRs to aim it. There are only 2 cameras (existing) that are aimed at some loading dock and bay doors. They just want to record if anyone tries to break into the warehouse, as they had a previous break-in a few weeks ago. For the remaining ones, it will be viewed during the day to keep track of the merchandise and the employees and I don't they need to see anything happening during the night, but I'll have to double check with them. What do you guys recommend of IR illuminators that can reach possibly 50' or less?

I wasn't too sure how well the BBM-24F would work in this environment but with the answers you guys gave, now I do know! I thought they worked in completely dark environments but I was mistaken, they work well in extremely low-light situations. I just bought one to test out to see how much light would be required to view a good image. I got the BBM-24F with the Fujinon YV5x.2.7R4B-SA2L lens (1/3" 2.7-13.5mm) F1.3 CS with the camera. The dealer was offering it as an accessory I could get, so I figured might as well give it a try.

What do you guys think of the Fujinon lens in terms of image quality? I never tried it out but heard from other posts that it's decent quality of images.

I've only used those generic chinese knockoff cameras and this is a first I've used an actual "brand name" camera with a "brand name" lens.