za

(after the DVR and the cameras) tips for an aspiring DIYer

I read a lot of threads on this forum and some outside sites. I am ready to buy my cctv package (4 camera standalone dvr with two bullet indoor, dome and outdoor) Im the same guy with the samsclub special thread, you guys saved me from blowing a grand on it thanks,

I am now just looking for tips on the small details ( the accessories ie , cables,voltage regulator do I need a cctv monitor or will a regular monitor do?) i read somewhere on this forum that I can get a modulator that will allow viewing the video signals on regular tvs?

I am a bit excited about the challenge and possible trips to radioshack? or is it straight forward?

any tips appreciated

Za,

this thread has some links related to modulators et al ( http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=24077#24077 ), and may be the one you were speaking of. It'll at least serve ta get ya started. Keep in mind however, that a modulator isn't required if your TV has an AUX channel. A modulator is a very nice feature though, and generally inexpensive. You can also display your video on your PC or laptop. Some cards are rather expensive, but I seem to recall that the DAZZLE system is quite INexpensive and works well (until I got my ImperX card, I used the Dazzle system).

Yeah, you may get to be on a first name basis with the guys at your local Radio Shack or other local electronics shop, but this'll be a fun experiment. At some point though, you might wanna experiment with equipment and configurations of your own choosing rather than a package deal.

Good Luck (I think you're really gonna enjoy this - it's a fun technology).

Best wishes,

bill

Focus the cameras before placement. Then if you need to focus after the fact a portable TV. Pros will use little LCD's but DIY's might not want to spend that.

Actually I am buying from three different places on the net. I havent checked the warrantees yet (ive had a bad experience with internet buying but I have no choice with the budget Im working with and my location).

Hopefully if I do it right my friend wants me to instal the same on in his store.

The best way to test a vendor is by calling them, and telling them that you already have bought the item, and are having a video problem with it, and see how the handle it. Then you can tell for yourself what type of people you are dealing with.

hermin

Craig,

What questions do you have regarding the products you have? Maybe one of us can help you out.

scottj

Thanks for the offer Scott. I have managed to get most everything worked out with the product I purchased from Hermin "$4,000 DVR" with the help from Rory "Big thanks to him" I really didn't mean to be one of those that drags out Dirty Laundry on a forum such as this. It was just after seeing Hermins post about "quality customer support" when he has provided nothing along those lines himself... Could not pass on the opportunity to atleast try and get a working "customer support number" from him via a post since he ignores all emails.... Only resulted in a deleted post to no surprise. Wonder how long this one will last ?

I do appreciate the offer to help though

Thats good that all is well. If you need anything, Rory, myself and others will be more than happy to lend a hand.

scottj