Mavrik

Where do my pictures go?

IQeye IP cam, Internet Explorer web viewer.

When taking a snapshot or video clip the normal popup for where to save the file comes up, save file and when going to the location, nothing is there. I made a new folder with the webviewer, save file in new folder and folder and photo is not there. New folder and photos show up if saving another photo within the webviewer. Where are my pictures going? Why is my folder/pictures invisible to Windows?

That's a weird one... are you using the ActiveX viewer, or the Java version? Can you try it from a different browser or on a different machine? This sounds like a problem with IE rather than the camera.

This is an activeX viewer, it will only run in IE. I don't have another machine.

I wasn't sure where to post this, I just thought since IE runs the camera.

The IQ cameras default to trying ActiveX, and if that won't load (whether a problem with IE, or a non-IE browser), it will try to load a Java applet instead. IE doesn't "run" the camera. Try another browser and see if you get the same results. Try giving it a completely different save location, such as your Desktop.

Hmmm, so it does on the 511 as well.

What happens if you point it to a completely different location, like the desktop?

I don't have a 511, I do have a 501 in transit.

The same thing. The folder I created and can see though the webviewer is on the desktop, but I can't see this folder on the desktop.

I wonder if it's saving it to a different profile... have you tried using the Search function to search the entire drive for the files? Try saving the files right to the root of the drive (C:\)?

Are you doing this on Windows XP or Vista or 7? I just tried it on Win7 and it denied access to save to the root of my D: drive, and wanted all sorts of approvals to even create a new folder on the desktop. This is the system controlling access of the ActiveX script itself; there may be permissions problems preventing the file from being created. If you have a flash drive, maybe try saving to that.

Wow, this is extremely weird... I saved a still image to my desktop, then created a "test" folder on the desktop and saved a still there as well... the folder is there, but neither file shows up. But when I go to save another snapshot, not only is that file there, but several others I created months ago that are invisible on my desktop.

Very weird indeed, it seems like some sort of virtual folder/files are created. I'm using win7 64 bit.

Okay, this has to be some kind of permissions thing... I've submitted a support ticket to IQ about it. Just tested it on an XP DVR and it works fine there.

Woke up this morning to a reply from IQ (I love their prompt support!)

This is not camera related, but it is one of the safety features of Microsoft Windows 7.

This is a solution:

- Go in Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Security

- Uncheck the box ‘Enable Protected Mode’

- Restart you Internet Explorer

Now you can save the snapshots and video clips from the cams interface to your desktop or wherever (and they will be visible)

IQinVision does not recommend any changes in the setting of IE or Microsoft Windows 7, this is just to illustration the cause of the problem.

We do not take any responsibility for changes in the Microsoft Windows 7 configuration or Internet Explorer.

For more details: “Understanding and Working in Protected Mode Internet Explorer in Windows 7 and Vista” http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250462(VS.85).aspx

My enable protection mode is already unchecked.

What I did is sort of what ssmith10pn suggested, added the cam IP address to local intranet (no other changes) and now I can see the save files in windows.

Win7 and IE8+ security settings are a minefield... I've had a lot of cheap Chinese cameras that need a whole range of security settings tweaked to be able to install their ActiveX controls in the first place.

Here is a way to get an image, even if in 'protected mode' in an emergency: (relates to IQinVision cameras)

If the image has already been saved with the 'snapshot' button, select the snapshot button again. Your previously saved image will be visible in the "save as" dialog box. Right click on the previously saved image and select "Edit". The image will open in Paint and you can save it again as needed and permissions will no longer be an issue.