supratreo

what do you recommend?

thanks. i did that and it's much better but still not seamless stream. maybe i'll lower the quality and see if that helps. also, even accessing and making changes remotely is a little slow, is this because of the dsl issue you mentioned?

It's the DSL upload bandwidth. I have access to 20 locations with DSL and all of them have live remote viewing issues due to the limits of the DSL upstream. Upload at these locations are from 300Kbps-500Kbps with a couple having 150Kbps. When live remote viewing of more than 1 channel occurs more data is being uploaded than the upload stream can handle which results in dropped frames, stuttering and pausing. It's certainly better at the 500Kbps locations than the others.

Quality, framerate and other settings in the DVR (if available) can help. Some of the DVRs I've used have the ability to limit bandwidth globally or per channel. There's sometimes also a setting to only view key frames in 4 screen mode which helps alot. It may only send 1-2 fps per channel when viewing 4 channels, but you still see everything and I find it does not adversely affect the bandwidth at the remote site too much.

Many routers also have QoS settings which allow you to set priority for certain types of data, specific ports or limit the amount of bandwidth per port.

As you go forward just keep in mind that this is an imperfect science and you'll need to play around with record and bandwidth settings until you find a happy medium between the two and, realistically, don't expect 100% smooth live remote viewing via the Internet unless the upload bandwidth can handle it.

great, thanks for all the info. the bandwidth you mentioned is about what i'm seeing. also, i'm using IE, PSS and iphone on wifi to view.

Try a site like dslreports.com or speedtest.net to see what your actual up/downstream speeds are.

180265_1.net193578_1.png[/url]

(Mine would probably be higher if I didn't have so much traffic on my network all the time... damn bittorrent )

Btw, about what I mentioned earlier with a ptz. We have a goof driving recklessly on our busy streets at the moment. He's been asked to stop, which of course he hasn't. I didn't try to follow him with the ptz or auto track to get a shot of him. I pointed the ptz and just setup a good fov for proof, waited, and let him drive through the shot. Once I got what I wanted, I repositioned the camera. Simple. Without this ability I would never get the shot. Useful besides trying to follow the action. BUT, an operator still needed to set it up. I gotta admit, the pictures make me laugh man. I don't know why, but they do! LOL!

193585_1.jpg

193585_2.jpg

nice job. i own a restaurant and usually dont have crazy go karters driving around my lot lol. mainly wanted to keep an eye on things but you guys are right. a few well positioned cameras will do the trick.

also, the camera i got has a 2.8-10.5 lens, is there a way i can play with this? i didn't see anything in the menu. its a CNB VCM-24VF btw.

also, the camera i got has a 2.8-10.5 lens, is there a way i can play with this? i didn't see anything in the menu. its a CNB VCM-24VF btw.

Again, that's not a PTZ camera; you CANNOT control it remotely. Zoom range is adjusted by loosening the thumbscrew closest to the camera body and rotating the barrel; focus is adjusted by loosening the thumbscrew on the front barrel and rotating that.

i own a restaurant and usually dont have crazy go karters driving around my lot lol

You get some seniors in rascalls for the early bird special, trust me- there WILL be trouble!

Again, that's not a PTZ camera; you CANNOT control it remotely. Zoom range is adjusted by loosening the thumbscrew closest to the camera body and rotating the barrel; focus is adjusted by loosening the thumbscrew on the front barrel and rotating that.

That's not to mention back focusing...or multiplier rings.. filters or plugging the lens in.

sorry i didn't mean remotely. i did try the screws but they were very tight so i thought i'd ask and make sure before i went any further.

They're just little locking screws, and yes, I've seen them cranked down fairly tight from the factory at times. The odd time I've needed to use a small screwdriver to get them loose - you really don't need to make them that tight when you're done. Just loosen each so the barrel turns smoothly.

ok so here's an update.

I took the camera off and got ready to replace but first connected the new one to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue. everything was good but before installing it i decided to put the old camera back knowing i made the connections and they were good. well what do ya know, it started working. let it run for a while and no problems. so i decided to let it be since it was nicely mounted already. picture is not like my new camera but its fine for what i'm using it for. only problem is, the lens is very weathered and makes the picture look pretty bad. can replacement lens' be had for these? are they're universal one?

second question, wayyy earlier i mentioned that i had 2 cameras that didn't work, one is fixed but the other is def. broken, not sure whats wrong with it but i bench tested it and it doesn't work. model number on it is CDC3019HR. can't find much on it but it looks like it might be made by Hsintek Electronics Co., Ltd.

i don't think i can do anything about this camera but i would really like to get a lens for the other one.

thank you.