supratreo

what do you recommend?

i've order a lot of stuff from mono price before and they are good people, just wondering if 1.1A is enough.

You need to look at the current requirements of all your cameras, add them up, and see if the total falls within the capabilities of the power supply. That one you linked is rated for 10A total, which should be more than enough.

what makes some of these power supplies so expensive??? some of them are over $150 and they do the same thing as this one.

Features like individually fused channels, self-resetting breakers, voltage-regulated output, multiple selectable or adjustable output voltages, overcurrent regulation/protection, UL/CSA compliance...

and sorry for such a noob question but what determines the viewing angle and viewing distance?

Viewing angle is determined mainly by the focal length of the lens, and to a lesser degree by the size of the sensor. Viewing distance is determined by objects in the way.

thank you, that was very helpful. well the genius that installed this system has a 4 ch P/S running 8 cameras :/ so i'm guessing the mono price will be enough.

It is ok for only outdoor of the restarant, actully it is not complete outdoor.you should know notice it can't work when in the dark night,if you want it work in the dard night,it must IR.

the area is well lit so it doesn't have to work in complete darkness but it does have to be weather resistant as there will be nothing protecting it from the sun and rain.

NONE of those you linked are "true day/night", and as such, their low-light specs are FAR below the VCM-24VF:

The Cantek lists 0.3 lux color/0.03 lux B&W, vs. 0.05/0.005 for the 24VF - basically the 24VF will do as well in color as the Cantek does in B&W.

The Bosch is an odd one - the PDF linked there states it has the same illumination specs as the 24VF, but the listing states "Color only".

The 24VD is essentially the same camera, but without the ICR, so low-light performance will suffer (CNB lists only 0.05 lux).

i'm so glad i have you guys to ask for advice. i think i'm just going to get the vcm-24vf but shipping is insane for this, i think i paid less to ship the DVR haha.

Well, if there's lots of light, you might be okay with one of the others... the Bosch SEEMS to be the closest in spec, but again, the two listings are conflicting.

On the other hand, you can't really go wrong with the 24VF...

i know its been a while but i've finally installed my Dahua and its awsome. i have another question tho. i got a VCM-24vf but i'm not sure if its 12 VDC or 24 VAC. the board on the camera says DC12V but theres no + or - on the green connector.

The 24VF is dual-voltage (it will actually handle anything from about 10V to 30V AC or DC). There's no polarity to the connector.

You can actually tell from CNB's model numbers whether it's dual or 12VDC-only... as I recall, "xxx-20" models are NTSC/12VDC, "xxx-21" models are PAL/12VDC, "xxx-24" are NTSC/dual, and "xxx-25" are PAL/dual.

polarity doesn't matter even if i give it 12VDC? i assume the connector or camera corrects it as needed?

also, you can use your Dahua with Iphone. do they have an app or something? it wasn't discussed in my installers handbook.

thank you. just bench tested it and this camera is awesome. now i'm going to try to figure out how i can hook this thing up so i can control it remotely.

thanks again, you've been a huge help.

Unless you managed to find it with the RS-485 option (cnb says it's available; I've never seen it), you can't control the camera remotely.

thanks guess i'll let that go.

so what can RS232 be used for? is that just to add a PTZ controller to my dvr? i believe the camera has it also.

RS-232 and RS-485 are similar data connections and should be *functionally* compatible. If the DVR has an RS-232 port, that's probably for PTZ/control output.

ok thank you. i might add 1 PTZ camera but the way the picture lags on my laptop (viewing remotely) i don't know if i can deal with it doing that while moving a camera too.

I wouldn't waste the money on a PTZ. Unless you're sitting monitoring the system, it really doesn't give you any benefit.

Well, that's assuming you're gonna mostly follow things in real time. Sure, that's part of what a ptz can do. But sometimes it's a simple need to point the camera at a different priority zone for a bit and keep it idle there to catch something and record it. It's nice to be able to have a camera that can be re-positioned at will, if you think you might really need that sometimes. Static cameras well placed is all you should need, but a ptz can be handy for further support too. You don't need to be sitting at it operating it like a mad man for it to still be useful to support even well placed fixed cameras. Just be realistic about what you really need- they ain't cheap either.

your right, i don't think the price would justify it. also, i have a problem with my video lagging when i view remotely. its set to 30FPS and a high bitrate, what else could cause this? i'm using dsl on the dvr side and cable on my PC.

this lagging would also make a PTZ unbearable.

DSL traditionally has poor upstream speeds compared to cable, limiting how fast the DVR can send the data, so that's half the problem. Knock the DVR down to 7fps and you should see a huge improvement.

thanks. i did that and it's much better but still not seamless stream. maybe i'll lower the quality and see if that helps. also, even accessing and making changes remotely is a little slow, is this because of the dsl issue you mentioned?

What are you using to view remotely? ActiveX web app, or remote software for the dvr? Does the dvr have a sub stream for remote viewing, where you can dial back the quality for smoother remote viewing but it still records in high res? DSL is probably the hold up.