IMcctv

Residential install, need camera recommendations 8ch

Would really appreciate if someone can review and critique my design:

186665_1.png

I currently have the following equipment (new):

- 8 Channel DVR

- two (2) 3.6mm outdoor IR CCTV (420L)

[ looks similar to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003DZ6PQ2 ]

- two (2) 16mm outdoor IR CCTV cams (not sure of resolution)

[ looks similar to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9QD22 ]

I am looking to add 6 more cameras and would really appreciate any recommendations. I find the 16mm cameras have too much zoom

for my needs, hence looking to use eight 3.6mm cams. This is for a residential installation on a corner lot.

The lights I have around the property are all Dusk-Dawn enabled. Meaning, 50% lit from Dusk-Dawn and when motion is detected, the light source becomes 100%.

hscctv100.thumb.png.0d2ed9cf3f500d04a36149cf4d6fc48f.png

hscctv102.thumb.png.5c81a915ca8367d1ca6e114ca1830b3c.png

Edited by Guest

hi,it seems your design is good.

I think there is no need more 16mm lens,the view angle is too small,only 30 degrees.

as far as i know.3.6mm is the widely used one,90 degrees,2.8 is 120. 6mm is 60.

Hope this may help.

Thank you for the reply Rey.

Do you have any brand/model recommendations?

I am located in the United States.

As for resolution, is there a significant difference between 420, 480 and 580?

I have tested dozens of camera models. I would strongly suggest something with a 700tvl Sony Effio CCD. It has one of the best night vision with IR of any camera. Dont waste your money and buy junk...

I have tested dozens of camera models. I would strongly suggest something with a 700tvl Sony Effio CCD. It has one of the best night vision with IR of any camera. Dont waste your money and buy junk...

Do you have any sample video links?

I'm not going NEAR the tvl thing. I would just say the in the cheap camera range, 420 tvl usually spells a bad camera overall beyond that, so avoid it. A few will jump in a suggest CNB cameras with monalisa chips. Other than that, what I would look for-

-Pick up device- CCD [not cmos] 1/3" Sony super HADII, Sony Effio, Effio-E, or EXview

-TDN IR cut

-Varifocal 3.5-8mm, or 4-9mm, or 4-12mm [depends on the fov you're covering]

-Smart IR, if you are not providing exterior security lights to help any camera without IR

-If you have a camera with no IR built in, as most will suggest is best, and almost no other exterior light in a given area, a quality separate IR fixture is wise.

I actually like cameras with IR built in, so long as they are not domes with dome covers, and they are TDN IR cut.

In the general analog forum in the 'analog video samples' on page 5, I posted a bunch of pictures from my cameras. I also have some vids in my signature. Maybe that will help you some.

Edited by Guest

I'm not going NEAR the tvl thing. I would just say the in the cheap camera range, 420 tvl usually spells a bad camera overall beyond that, so avoid it. A few will jump in a suggest CNB cameras with monalisa chips. Other than that, what I would look for-

-Pick up device- CCD [not cmos] 1/3" Sony super HADII, Sony Effio, Effio-E, or EXview

-TDN IR cut

-Varifocal 3.5-8mm, or 4-9mm, or 4-12mm [depends on the fov you're covering]

-Smart IR, if you are not providing exterior security lights to help any camera without IR

-If you have a camera with no IR built in, as most will suggest is best, and almost no other exterior light in a given area, a quality separate IR fixture is wise.

I actually like cameras with IR built in, so long as they are not domes with dome covers, and they are TND IR cut.

In the general analog forum in the 'analog video samples' on page 5, I posted a bunch of pictures from my cameras. I also have some vids in my signature. Maybe that will help you some.

Thank you for this. What brands should I look at and placed to buy?

If boards do not allow external site posting, please PM me.

For the price and all-around versatility, you can't beat this camera: http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1073

The 2.8-10.5mm lens gives you a lot of range; they work great with very little light; they work on dual-voltage (12VDC/24VAC so they're a good retrofit for existing cameras); they're a weather- and vandal-resistant dome that work well indoors and out.

as far as i know.3.6mm is the widely used one,90 degrees,2.8 is 120. 6mm is 60.

Not quite. On a 1/3" sensor (like the CNBs), 2.8mm will give you about 82 degrees horizontal FOV; 16mm gives you about 17 degrees; 6mm about 43 degrees.

If you drop to a 1/4" sensor, the angles become 65, 13, and 33 degrees, respectively.

http://www.sweeting.org/mark/lenses/cctv.php

In my videos, I say the place where I got my cameras. Very reasonable prices for the higher quality cameras they offer, which I would suggest more so than their cheaper offerings. Good luck.

For the price and all-around versatility, you can't beat this camera: http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1073

+1 you cant go wrong with CNB Effio cameras are a mind field and some of the cheaper ones have a good fail rate

what spec is your DVR is it D1 or cif

not shure if Sean has had the new camera spec yet. but there are some good new cameras comming out

For the price and all-around versatility, you can't beat this camera: http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1073 .

The 2.8-10.5mm lens gives you a lot of range; they work great with very little light; they work on dual-voltage (12VDC/24VAC so they're a good retrofit for existing cameras); they're a weather- and vandal-resistant dome that work well indoors and out.

Do you think this camera would be a good candidate for locations (2,5,6,7) of my diagram?

What cameras would you recommend for the other areas?

+1 you cant go wrong with CNB Effio cameras are a mind field and some of the cheaper ones have a good fail rate

what spec is your DVR is it D1 or cif

not shure if Sean has had the new camera spec yet. but there are some good new cameras comming out

CNB Effio cameras are minefields? I will take photos of my DVR tonight.

In my videos, I say the place where I got my cameras. Very reasonable prices for the higher quality cameras they offer, which I would suggest more so than their cheaper offerings. Good luck.

Thank you, I will follow those links.

Effio cameras are minefields?

sorry no not CNB.

lots of cameras comming out of china (ebay is full of them) starting from $20. they say effio but there not.

its safer to go with a brand name if you look for cameras with effio chips.

the CNB in the link is a tride and tested camera by many installers

Do you think this camera would be a good candidate for locations (2,5,6,7) of my diagram?

They'd actually work well in all your locations. The only consideration for something else might be in areas of complete darkness, as they work great with very little light... my preference in that case, though, would be a motion-activated flood light rather than a camera with built-in IR. Even an external IR illuminator would be preferable.

They'd actually work well in all your locations. The only consideration for something else might be in areas of complete darkness, as they work great with very little light... my preference in that case, though, would be a motion-activated flood light rather than a camera with built-in IR. Even an external IR illuminator would be preferable.

Actually, lighting is adequate at all entrances of the house. How would this camera work if ambient/flood lights are pointed directly at the camera?

Updated drawing with ambient light/motion activated flood lights. Camera 5, 6 & 7 may have partial lighting directed at the camera.

The lights I have around the property are all Dusk-Dawn enabled. Meaning, 50% lit from Dusk-Dawn and when motion is detected, the light source becomes 100%.

hscctv102.thumb.png.a0a582464abd00cb819a3c42b459649e.png

Edited by Guest

Actually, lighting is adequate at all entrances of the house. How would this camera work if ambient/flood lights are pointed directly at the camera?

NO camera will be happy with lights pointed directly at it (at least not directly at the lens)

Updated drawing with ambient light/motion activated flood lights. Camera 5, 6 & 7 may have partial lighting directed at the camera.

Doesn't look too bad... I assume the light will mostly be facing down and the cameras mounted relatively high - as long as you don't have bright light shining directly into the lens, you're okay, although the backlighting will mean you don't get much more than a silhouette of a person.

What I suggest is motion-activated lights mounted close to the camera - think about it: if you're creeping around in the dark and a bright light snaps on, what's your automatic reaction? You want to see if you've been spotted, so you look toward the source of the light to see if there's someone there. If there's a camera near it... bingo! nice, clear, well-lit face shot.

Doesn't look too bad... I assume the light will mostly be facing down and the cameras mounted relatively high - as long as you don't have bright light shining directly into the lens, you're okay, although the backlighting will mean you don't get much more than a silhouette of a person.

What I suggest is motion-activated lights mounted close to the camera - think about it: if you're creeping around in the dark and a bright light snaps on, what's your automatic reaction? You want to see if you've been spotted, so you look toward the source of the light to see if there's someone there. If there's a camera near it... bingo! nice, clear, well-lit face shot.

If I have cameras 5,6 and 7 mounted in the adjacent angle, right below the light source, I would need at really wide view? Would this be a better option?

Your camera placement seems not great overall to me. What I'd consider adjusting-

Cam 1- either center the camera to cover the driveway, or move it to the opposite side and shoot from the opposite direction. I'm guessing you park your car regularly on the side closest to your front entrance. You want the camera to be closest to the car. You don't want the car to be in the furthest position of the fov. Aside from your home, your car is the second biggest asset to be broken into, stolen, or vandalized. In most crimes of opportunity, it's actaully the first thing to be messed with. So help your camera help you ID someone at the car- locate the driveway camera where it puts the car up front in the fov, not at the back.

Cam2- That camera should be getting the ID shot of someone at the door. If in that fov you can get a side swipe of the doors as well, all the better. Such as this shot I get from my front door-

cmas3-1.jpg

The reason I prefer the side shot is because I get face ID from anyone entering AND exiting, as well as seeing if my front door is open. For you, let camera 3 handle the front gate. Make camera two see your front door entrance only.

Cam 3- position is fine so long as you confirm the security light [dim and bright] doesn't cause a bad picture. Security lights can be framed just out of the fov, still throwing light but not looking right at the light. Be it framed above the shot or to the sides, so long as it's just out of frame it can help. Doesn't always have to be a mile out of frame to work ok.

Cam 4- Ok, but same thing- make sure lights don't affect the picture. If so, you have room to move that camera around.

Cam 5- Tough shot. I'd pick the real target as being the slider. The other door I figure is solid and tougher to bust into. The slider is more vulnerable, therefore make that the money shot even if it means sacrificing a decent shot of the other door. That camera needs to be on the house looking sideways or down on that slider. Avoid cameras looking INTO spaces, where all you'll get is a shot of someones back. Generally, you want them pointing so they'll catch full on face or profile.

Cam 6- Again, your placement will only catch someones back. So, facing the slider from the outside, mount the camera on that corner of the HOUSE next to the door. Point it so you get a nice shot of the slider and a long shot of the patio. I'll bet you can frame the shot so the light is above and out of frame, such as this, where the light is up there but just out of frame-

168572_4.jpg

Cam 7- Facing the slider from the outside, mount that camera on the HOUSE on the corner next to the slider. That will give you a perfect side shot of the slider and rear entrance 2, all in one shot.

Cam 8- I would mount that camera all the way down to the front end of the house pointing towards the backyard, catching the property from front to back direction on that side. It puts it closer to the open fence as well.

Food for thought. Good luck to you.

Dan

I'm sorry.I'm not fimilar with US brands and stores.

I think many US companies buy from China,and print their logo.

420.480.580 they use different ICs.low tvl low resolution,i don't think there is much other difference between them.

for example:(SONY633+3142) 420TVL,

(SONY633+3172) 480TVL,(SONY639+2040) 600TV,

Another thing i would like to say to tomcctv

Sure there are many fake products on Ebay,they may be from China.

but if you buy from China company,factory,they're good.

Such as Safer,QIHAN,Longse,they have 2nd web on Global Sources.

100.000USD per year. liars and cheaters will not invest so much money in ad.

some very little workshop,they do bad things.

Sorry for reviving thread, but can anyone tell me what software he used for the designs?

It looks so simple and neat.