Sign in to follow this  
bigzee110

Need help with microphone (small audio issue)

Hi guys,

I upgraded my system at my business from a 4 channel dvr to a 16 channel geovision 800 system. I also added a microphone which goes to audio 1. Everything works fine including the audio but what I need to do is to be able to hear the sound from the microphone on my speakers all the time. When I click on camera one, I hear the audio but when I switch to any other screen configuration, the sound goes away (it still records on camera 1) but I need to be able to hear it on my speakers that are hooked up to my computer at all times. Could someone please tell me how I could do that.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I see no one has replied yet. I don't have your system, but I do have a mic hooked up to mine. The trick is to keep the mic channel the active one no matter what screen config- even if that channel isn't showing, it should still be active from whenever you clicked on it. That's the way it works with my dvr anyway. If you become absolutely stuck, a workaround, albeit a little cost and a pain, is to have mics on every channel running to the same spot so you never lose the audio no matter what channel. Sucks I know, but I have eight channels of audio in and there are times when I wish the spot I have mic'd could be in every channel. I may well just dump more mics in line so I have it on every channel. But that's only eight. Sixteen and up, a real drag. Hope you get it solved.

I see no one has replied yet. I don't have your system, but I do have a mic hooked up to mine. The trick is to keep the mic channel the active one no matter what screen config- even if that channel isn't showing, it should still be active from whenever you clicked on it. That's the way it works with my dvr anyway. If you become absolutely stuck, a workaround, albeit a little cost and a pain, is to have mics on every channel running to the same spot so you never lose the audio no matter what channel. Sucks I know, but I have eight channels of audio in and there are times when I wish the spot I have mic'd could be in every channel. I may well just dump more mics in line so I have it on every channel. But that's only eight. Sixteen and up, a real drag. Hope you get it solved.

Thanks for the reply shock. Keeping the mic channel active regardless of screen configuration is exactly what I want to do and that is the part I can't figure out. As for adding more mics, that really isn't an option for me for two reasons: one, my card only supports 4 channels of audio and i have 16 cameras and second, i won't be able to run wires because when we renovated, we added low gauge metal on the roof (we've had breakin's before) and I ran the existing cables before we put the metal in place and running additional cables will be very difficult.

I'm not sure if this will help but I did run an extra bnc where i have the mic thinking if I ever wanted to add a quad processor in the future. Thanks

What happens if for instance, you bring up an eight channel config with the audio channel/window showing in that config, and you click on it- not double click to expand, but just click on it to make that window the active one? What window configuration will you get audio? I'm just grabbing at straws cause I don't know your gear. If there isn't an option setting it must be a limitation. But I would think if that any window config, as long as the channel with audio is showing and clicked on to be active, audio will come through.

What happens if for instance, you bring up an eight channel config with the audio channel/window showing in that config, and you click on it- not double click to expand, but just click on it to make that window the active one? What window configuration will you get audio? I'm just grabbing at straws cause I don't know your gear. If there isn't an option setting it must be a limitation. But I would think if that any window config, as long as the channel with audio is showing and clicked on to be active, audio will come through.

I can only hear the audio when camera one is showing by itself. When I switch to quad screen or eight channel config with camera one in it, there is no audio. As for highlighting camera one even in a multiple channel configuration, geovision automatically brings camera one to full screen when you single click (you can't just select a camera, single click makes it full screen).

Anyone else have any ideas??? I'm sure its possible in geovision and can't be too difficult, I'm just missing something.

hi. on cam 1 if you right click you should get audio options.

Hi Tom,

When I right click the only audio option i see is "set to wave out." I'm not even sure what that means so if someone could explain it, that would be great. Thanks.

Hi Tom,

When I right click the only audio option i see is "set to wave out." I'm not even sure what that means so if someone could explain it, that would be great. Thanks.

What happens when you choose that option? Does another menu come up? That's a routing option for the audio and might help you so try it. What sound card do you have in that pc? You might need to open up the sound card and noodle with the routing options in the mixer section of the sound card. For instance, if you have a stock realteck sound card it has some audio routing options to check out and try- including a 'wave' option which really is just the 'what you hear' sound in the pc. It might be you have that muted in the realtek mixer. It can be found by going into start/control panel/ sounds and audio devices. Or once in the control panel, you might find the realtek icon itself so you can get right into it. But even before you do that, I'd go into the options or settings section for your dvr card and see what audio options you have in there. But routing to wave is probably it. If you choose it and nothing happens, look in the dvr cards audio options if it has any. If not, get into the sound card and make sure the wave volume is all the way up and not muted. Within realtek, there is a mic channel too to check. See if it's muted and check the volume. I'm sure it's probably a routing setting that will get you your audio.

Hi Tom,

What happens when you choose that option? Does another menu come up? That's a routing option for the audio and might help you so try it. What sound card do you have in that pc? You might need to open up the sound card and noodle with the routing options in the mixer section of the sound card. For instance, if you have a stock realteck sound card it has some audio routing options to check out and try- including a 'wave' option which really is just the 'what you hear' sound in the pc. It might be you have that muted in the realtek mixer. It can be found by going into start/control panel/ sounds and audio devices. Or once in the control panel, you might find the realtek icon itself so you can get right into it. But even before you do that, I'd go into the options or settings section for your dvr card and see what audio options you have in there. But routing to wave is probably it. If you choose it and nothing happens, look in the dvr cards audio options if it has any. If not, get into the sound card and make sure the wave volume is all the way up and not muted. Within realtek, there is a mic channel too to check. See if it's muted and check the volume. I'm sure it's probably a routing setting that will get you your audio.

I'll play around with the settings a bit when I get to work and let you know if it works... hopefully it does.

Would something like this work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103709

Could I plug the male end into the audio port on the dvr card and attach the microphone on one female end and use the other female end for speakers?

This may work, depending on how much output drive the mic has. Plugging it into 2 inputs at once (DVR card and speakers) may load down the signal, but it's hard to predict without trying. It's easy enough to test, though.

First thing would be to check that the mic works plugged directly into the speakers. Also, I'd be inclined to use a splitter cable, rather than a hard adapter, as having long, inflexible adapters sticking out of the card makes it easier to damage something.

They'll have these at radio shack too, though I order all my cables from monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021803&p_id=663&seq=1&format=2

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding. The issue has been solved as best as it could without additional expense using shocks advice of selecting the channel which the audio records to. In my case, it was channel 1 and it worked fine until you clicked another camera but then I set wave out to audio one and it was working with all 16 channels even when channel 1 wasn't selected. I'm glad I solved the issue and would like to thank all those who gave advice. It was very helpful and much appreciated. You guys are the best!