LittleScoobyMaster

Camera Delivery - FedEx or UPS?

I have another camera to order (approx value $1k) and I was just curious what most people prefer for a shipper when it comes to sending surveillance cameras?

Camera's need extra care because they are so fragile and I often wonder who will treat the package more carefully. Anyone else ever go with UPS or FedEx based soley on which carrier will be more careful with their expensive camera deliveries?

I am familiar with the FedEx monitor guy but I think that could be a one-off and not the general way they do business:

and of course, UPS mean drivers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKAdVasFU0&feature=endscreen&NR=1

This guy is mad about the snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qUd9na_PQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Edited by Guest

I generally use UPS, but most times I'll see which one is the cheaper way to go. Sometimes USPS wins- and they could use the bucks too. I've never had a bad package via USPS, and never from FedX either. UPS has delivered packages that got screwed up in transit and sometimes, just really DIRTY. Like, I have to wash my hands after handling the package. But FedX can be a pain here in that sometimes they force you to sign for it and won't leave the package if you miss them. That's a pain if you were really home and just missed them. So the choice is yours- any of them can hose a package. It happens. Choose the one the works for YOU mostly. Good luck.

I have horror stories about both and will avoid them at all costs. We use Purolator at work and despite some annoyances now and then, there haven't been any major clusterf**ks like with the others.

It's all gonna depend on your drivers. Both company's will have bad apples. Personally I think your over thinking this alittle

My horror stories actually go far beyond the drivers.

I asked FedEx to ship a bunch of packages Vancouver to Calgary ground. They sent it air. Then they wanted us to pay for the air shipping. Ummm... how about, NO? They wouldn't let us ship on our account again until we settled up... so we didn't.

Bought something with my AirMiles once... they sent it UPS. The day the delivery came, I was home the whole day... never heard the doorbell (which is right outside my office door)... just happened to go look out the front window in time to see the truck out front. If the guy knocked at all, he must have used his pinky. Certainly didn't seem to get the concept of the little lighted button beside the door.

By the time I ran downstairs, he was driving away. Left the little sticker on the door, so I called immediately, told them what happened... they said he had other stops to make and they couldn't send him back - I COULD STILL SEE HIM DOWN THE STREET! They said he'd come back tomorrow; I told them I wouldn't be in tomorrow and asked if I could schedule it for a couple days later. They said no - my only other option was to pick it up myself... and not at any of the three "UPS Stores" within 10 miles, noooo... only at their central depot, a good hour's drive away. And only during regular work hours. And if I didn't get it within five days, they would send it back.

Thanks, UPS... but no.

You obviously put a bunch of thought into a 1k camera. Do tell what it is?

Well, I wonder if I put enough thought into that. It's the Panasonic WV-SC385.

http://www.networkwebcams.com/ip-camera-learning-center/2011/02/08/panasonic-wvsc385-evaluation-review-rating-buying-advice/

I like it because it does 30 fps at 1280x960 and has an 18x optical zoom with the PTZ controls which can be fun to play around with. (being used as an auxillary cam).

I have noticed the firmware issues a few people have mentioned, but I didn't want to pay almost double for the Axis camera that has similar features. Thinking maybe some day I could add an outdoor enclosure and put it outside, but I can't think of any good way to disguise these because of the near 360 degree turning. (Don't want all the neighbors to see it and complain).

I only hope that I will be able to get it to work with GV-NVR. Haven't tried that yet, but the more I see how GV-NVR works, the more I wonder if it is the best solution (my background is with Geo DVR's - 10 years). Hard to change.

I was unable to find many other ptz's with 18x or greater optical zooms that could capture at this resolution. Anyone know why that is? I think there should be more cams like this to compete, but I just couldn't find any.

Edited by Guest

For future reference you should ALWAYS check your NVR/VMS manufactures supported camera list before you purchase a new camera.

I am no GEO expert but I don't see the WV-SC385 on the list

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/SupportIPCAM_Panasonic.asp

You might be able to get it to work with ONVIF but that doesn't mean PTZ controls will work.

RTSP should work but no PTZ controls just the video stream.

For future reference you should ALWAYS check your NVR/VMS manufactures supported camera list before you purchase a new camera.

I am no GEO expert but I don't see the WV-SC385 on the list

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/product/SupportIPCAM_Panasonic.asp

You might be able to get it to work with ONVIF but that doesn't mean PTZ controls will work.

RTSP should work but no PTZ controls just the video stream.

I checked the list before I ordered it, and it wasn't on the list yet, and nobody on this forum could confirm if it even worked with GV-NVR, and Pavel mentioned the PTZ worked under ONVIF: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29757&start=15

I saw some post where people mentioned PTZ was a pain on this cam, and I can sort of see that, but it sure is fun being able to mess with the ptz and 1280x960 rez (when it works from the pano web interface). - sometimes, it just locks up for no good reason though. Probably due to the buggy firmware that this cam has been dinged for on every review...However, this is my first PTZ and I couldn't wait for Geo on it. Had to have it because I needed a good toy to play with.

Do you think Geo will add it this year? (PTZ controlling).

Cause the Pano web interface is not the greatest.

Edited by Guest

No one on this forum can answer that email GEO and ask them

Where did you read that this camera locks up? I have one but I haven't had any issues locking up.

In a couple reviews or forum posts, some people always mention the buggy firmware, and some mention lockups, like this one from JohnnyC.

By locking up, I mean, sometimes, the ptz using the web interface will be unresponsive for a bit, sometimes a few seconds, to a couple minutes. On some occasions I've had to close my browser down and reconnect, etc. Just figured it was due to the buggy firmware. Who knows, could even be my Netgear AV500's and Av200 powerline mixture. (gets me less than 30 Mbps and is shared between 2 IP cams). And I have noticed the issue seemed to crop up more when streaming them both to the same PC at the same time. Could even just be my browser or activeX controls, settings, etc. It doesn't seem to happen too often, just enough to bug me.

I can try to find the links, but even the main reveiws for this cam all mention buggy firmware as causing problems for the cam.

One of the forum postings was for a previous version of this cam, from a JohnnyC.

He posted the following about all i-Prosmart HD Pano cams:

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/about6559.html

"Sorry, I actually phased over from Panasonic to Axis starting 2.5 years ago and I'm not familiar with the Panasonic i-Pro Smart HD WV-SC385. I think I seen a demo of the i-Pro line when it first came on the market (or shortly before) at a camera/security show in New York City. I am almost positive it was the i-Pro line and the cameras were very buggy. They kept crashing and freezing up to the point the vendor powered them off."

I've seen a few more that had similar experiences, so I figured it was just due to buggy firmware that might be updated later this year.

You mentioned you have one, and I think I knew that from previous posts, can't remember what you think of it however. Do you like it, or think it is worth the price? What are you using to control the PTZ, the Pano web interface, or something else?

So far, I like mine. It's a lot of fun. I'll have to contact Geo and find out why it's not listed yet. I was hoping that it was just because the cam is still relatively new. I think it's been out for about 1 year or so. Maybe that is not so new in this industry though?

I tried to find out what the successor to this camera is going to be or when it would be out, but had no luck with that. With video cards (GPU's), you can expect a new major version out every 6 months, not sure about IP cams though.

Sure would be nice to see a 5MP version of this camera. Probably cost a fortune though.

No one on this forum can answer that email GEO and ask them

Where did you read that this camera locks up? I have one but I haven't had any issues locking up.

I'm starting to notice a little more on this issue. It's turning out to be less locking up, and more of an issue with zooming in and out using the mousewheel.

Happens quite a bit to me. If I click on the zoom out and zoom in icons, it works fine, but randomly, the mousewheel just stops zooming when I use the Pano web interface. I know it's not the mouse because, everything else works fine, like web browsing, paging up and down with the mousewheel, etc.

Have you noticed this exact dilemma with your SC385 by any chance? (Mousewheel zooms randomly failing).

I'm on IE9 on a Win7 Pro 64 bit machine.