bertbig

Can't get DVR on my network for long...

For a few years I have this Arcadyan 7519 home netwerk adsl router which has been working fine. Now I connected a security camera recorder on the router so that I could view the cams, first from the inside network, and later on externally.

The recorder is a Skytronics type 351.124 which has four camera inputs, a video output and a netwerk connector. This is a link to the pdf with the manual: http://www.tronios.com/media/uploads/351.124.pdf

The recorder is connected via a short new network cable to one of the remaining ports on the router. The yellow and green light near the network port on the recorder, and the green light on the router lights up, so its looking good.

I gave the recorder a static ip-address and use the software that came with the recorder; DxClient Netviewer version 2.7.1.

Althought the recorder works fine, I am not able to view the camera stream for more than say three minutes. After switching the recorder on, I can connect to it and ping it for three minutes, and then it’s over. I have to switch it off and on again, and I have three minutes again. After three minutes the viewer gives the error: “connect failed, reason; no stream timeout”.

I first suspected a hardware problem in the recorder, but the dealer send me a replacement motherboard to solve this issue. Buth with the new motherboard, the problem is the same.

In the mean time I tried a few things:

- Switched off all security, firewall, virus scannet etc.

- Tried another viewer (RASplus

- Tried another pc to view

The only thing I can think of that either the new motherboard of the recorder has the same problem, or there must be somthing wrong with the settings on my network.

HELP!

The Skytronic (without and s!, made a typo in the first post) is a standalone dvr with network connection, connected to my home network bij lan cable. I am viewing the recorder from a pc in my own lan running windows 7 using DxClient netviewer.

Thanks.

Bert

Well; no...

I have chosen deliberately for a static address, afraid that I would have to re-establish a connection when the dhcp lease would expire... Could that make a difference?

Thanks for helping by the way...

Bert

Yes it will give you the ability to troubleshoot.

Set it to DHCP and as long as your router is not rebooted the DVR will keep the same IP Address forever.

If your problem is solved then it's a router issue, just assign the DVR a static IP Address within the DHCP Range (The one the DVR got when you changed it to DHCP) and you'll be fine.

Hi. you could have a few problems. is this unit bought brand new ???? (made 2008) password for remote view is admin and admin. if its not then it may have a time limit (setup via network password settings)

also the other problem is a 2008 dvr may not be compatable with your operating system. you will need a firmware update

@coolie11; Ok thanks, I will test the dhcp thing soon and post the result.

@tomcctv; I bought it two years ago but never installed until recently. When it starts it says the firmware is built 2009. In the setup there are two levels of security; 'admin', tested it with default password 111111 and 'user' which I don't use. The set was a sort of supermarket deal which came with four cams. The DVR is possibly Chinese (which doesn't mean it shouldn't work).

Till now I assume that the highest level of security (admin) will allow me to use it over the lan.

Link to manual: http://www.tronios.com/media/uploads/351.124.pdf

Thanks,

Bert

In the setup there are two levels of security; 'admin', tested it with default password 111111 and 'user' which I don't use

hi. user name .... admin

password ..... 111111

are your dvr managment passwords. your network default is user name ..... admin password ..... admin

Thanks tomcctv,

Strange that this is not specified in the manual

And according to the setup menu's, the only password I can change is the admin password (which is set 111111 by default). There is no opption to set up the network password for admin.

Can you explain this a bit more?

I will have to test this later on, because the importcompany mailed me last night (after a radio silence of two weeks) to send in the unit for testing, so I did today.

Thanks,

Bert

Strange that this is not specified in the manual

And according to the setup menu's, the only password I can change is the admin password (which is set 111111 by default). There is no opption to set up the network password for admin.

Can you explain this a bit more?

yes 111111 is DVR password not remote viewing log in. yes you can change 111111 to anything you like (6 digits) it only stops people from changing settings on your dvr.

for network settings your dvr (from factory) is admin and admin and if you look at page 10 it does tell you.

you will not see any other options until you either change or add a new network password.

I will have to test this later on, because the importcompany mailed me last night (after a radio silence of two weeks) to send in the unit for testing, so I did today.

you will have the same problem when you get it back. you only had to test it first

Ok Tom,

Thanks for your response.

I thought that the option on page 10 was to change the admin password that is currently set to 111111.

So do you mean that in the menu on page 10 a different password can be changed than the admin password that is currently set to 111111?

Thanks,

Bert

So do you mean that in the menu on page 10 a different password can be changed than the admin password that is currently set to 111111?

hi. your dvr like many others can be locked via password this stops people from changing all your settings.

yours is admin 111111. this password has nothing to do with remote viewing.

then you have network passwords which you need to remote view. from new your log on (over network) is admin for user name and admin for password

Ok thanks Tom,

Now I get it.

Assuming both passwords can be changed; how/where do I change the 'settings password (admin 111111)' and how/where do I change the 'remote viewing password' (admin admin)?

Wish I had known this before sending in the DVR

Bert

hi if your dvr is for home use then you dont need to change anything. its only neded if say you own a gas station and you dont want staff to be able to play with it.

same with the network password ..... no need to change (people have to know your ip) to get in.

Thanks Tom,

Indeed it is for home use.

But how would it be possible to change both passwords if needed?

Thanks,

Bert

Thanks Tom,

Indeed it is for home use.

But how would it be possible to change both passwords if needed?

Thanks,

Bert

Hi there; here I am again.

In the mean time the DVR was being 'repaired'; the motherboard was replaced just to be sure (great service!) and tested.

Connected to my router; same problem.

Assumed problem to be caused by the router; and indeed; after replacing it for another type; OK! connection not dropped anymore.

But that tackled only half of the problem. The only way I can view the camera's over the network is by using the software that came in the set; DxClient.

All other cliënts, such as RASplus, say that all server channels are being used.

Can anyone think of an alternative for DXClient? Why don't other viewers do the job?

Thanks for helping out!

Bert