wozzzzza

Box camera vs Dome camera? whats the best?

whats the difference between a box camera and a dome camera?? is anyone one more reliable than the other?? how to choose what one to use??

whats the difference between a box camera and a dome camera?? is anyone one more reliable than the other?? how to choose what one to use??

Dome vs Box cameras... ok get ready

Dome cameras can usually be installed indoor or outdoor, alot of manufacturers offer a vandleproof and non vandleproof camera.Vandleproof usually is $20+ extra, but worth it. vandleproof would be for indoor or outdoor applications so if a rock,bat,stick etc were to be thrown at it.. the camera would still be capturing the focal point. A non vandleproof camera would be smashed the dome cover is made of plastic and cheap plastic at that, most can be smashed with a closed fist. this would also matter on the way your installer hung that camera. more so the screws and anchors used and if they are secured and not easily "knocked" loose. meaning If you have a vandleproof dome installed but not secured I could whack it with a rock or bat, stick whatever. I might not hurt the camera but i can knock it off the wall and obstruct the view, the camera would still be good but not capturing me anymore, most likely facing the wall dangling there for you to see the next day. Lenses on Dome cameras are also not interchangeable like on box cameras. Dome cameras are also vari-focal or non varifocal (fixed lens). A standard dome is about 2.8 -12mm varifocal lens, also have the option of dome cameras with Infared Red (IR) to switch to a black & white video when the lights go out or in the dark skylight. Back to me knocking a camera off the wall, so for outdoor use with a Box camera... I would not even need to really knock it down. I could throw a rock,stick,towel,shirt, bag anything i could hang on this camera to block the view. or a rock stick etc would be able to knock the camera and the enclosure its in would face another direction. they also need to be mounted in enclosures if being mounted outdoors or want to offer any protection to the box camera from water, and vandalism A bat to a box camera would be an expensive whack. A box camera lens can be changed if you are not happy with the image or the distance, you can find some very good lenses that could match the price of the actual box cam it self. box cameras are not usually IR sensitive, so they can not been seen at night. hope that info is helpful, if I left anything you are curious about , just ask.

box camera enclosure for outdoor use. 187819_1.jpg

still dont know what camera to get. i like the box ones, never had any problems with them, dome ones i am a bit sceptical of now as i have always had lots of them fail for some reason.

Wow, that was a long ramble, and not entirely accurate.

Lenses on Dome cameras are also not interchangeable like on box cameras.

Incorrect. Ultimately, the only *functional* difference is the ability to use a wider range of lenses on a box camera. Most dome cameras use a smaller lens mount, although some do use the same C/CS-type lens mounts, but they're still limited to what size lenses will physically fit because of the dome. Every single one of them IS interchangeable, though.

box cameras are not usually IR sensitive, so they can not been seen at night.

There is zero, zip, zilch, no reason that either will be more or less sensitive to IR or to light in general. The sensor, filters, and processing are not specific to the enclosure type - put the lens in front of the same sensor and run the signal through the same chipset, in a box camera body and in a dome, and they'll yield the same results.

Technical aspects aside, a box camera does need an additional enclosure if you want to use it outdoors, and domes CAN be much more vandal-RESISTANT (there's no such thing as vandal PROOF). So in the end, the main choice comes down to aesthetics, where you want to use the camera, and whether you need to use more specialized lenses.

As far as your past experience, that can probably just be chalked up to crappy camera design, rather than the fact that they were domes. Cheap domes commonly use low-quality electronics that are susceptible to heat buildup, or to fluctuations in supply voltage (non-regulated transformer-type 12VDC adapters actually put out 14-16VDC, and I've seen a number of cheap cameras killed by this).

Yeah, its kind of a real real real general question. Its like asking, what is better, a car or a truck? There are so many different cars and trucks out there with so many different features. Same goes with box cams and dome cams.