LillDragun

Need some advice with DVR problem

I recently got some cameras installed for my business by a guy that I thought knew his stuff and I'm beginning to think that he doesn't know his stuff as well as he made it seem and all 8 cameras are already installed using RG59U cable (with bnc connectors? I'm pretty sure thats what I saw). I need a DVR for my restaurant. I'm beginning to think I should have done this myself and just built a DVR rather than let him buy one for me.

http://www.altex.com/8-Channel-H264-240fps-DVR-with-a-1Tb-SATA-HD-DVR814-1-P150056.aspx

This is the link to the crappy unit he bought, and I can't access it from my macbook or iphone because the dvr (from what little I understood from the installer) runs off of axtiveX. I specifically asked to make sure it's compatible with my iPhone and Mac.

http://www.unixcctv.com/_e/Power_Supply/product/TR-W12VDC04P05A/TR_W12VDC04P05A.htm

Power supply installed

He informed me that I can still return the DVR unit. So I should be able to work off of that, but since all 8 cameras and cables have been run, I would like to salvage what I can with that. Maybe upgrade later if I feel that the camera set-up is not good enough (when i can afford the revamp of a system).

worse comes to worse, I'll pay him for the labor of running lines and for the cameras.

What is my best solution to this problem?

recap:

-cameras already mounted (don't know what kind of cameras)

-RG59U cable already run

-TR W12VDC04P05A power supply installed

would like to have a dvr that is compatible with my iphone/macbook. If I have to build one, I am experienced and building my own computer before, just not lately. I wouldn't mind building a mini computer just for the dvr, if it is more cost effective and if it is compatible with my iphone/macbook.

The specs are suitably vague on that page, but I wouldn't be surprised if that DVR would work with Mac and iPhone with the proper apps, even if it won't work directly through a browser.

That aside, swapping in a different DVR should be easy enough - power supply is irrelevant, just disconnect the cameras from the old DVR and plug them into the new one. There are some great 8-channel units here that will fit your needs, depending on your budget.

with the setup of BNC's those should PnP right? Thats what it looks like on the descriptions. Is the software pretty user friendly for onsite use, OSX, and iPhones? that is my main concern. Thanks for the quick answer!

with the setup of BNC's those should PnP right? Thats what it looks like on the descriptions.

These type of cameras and DVRs use standard analog video, same as you'd use connecting, say, your Wii to your TV (the yellow plugs, specifically), it's just a different type of connector.

Is the software pretty user friendly for onsite use, OSX, and iPhones? that is my main concern. Thanks for the quick answer!

No idea, I'm rocking an Android phone... but there are plenty of others here that should know.

got a quick question. I have a drive through at my business and I have a monitor that is mounted to the wall so that the employee's can see if there is a car at the drive thru in case the headset does not beep. How can I dedicate the video to a single channel to that monitor? The previous installer was only able to mirror the video output of the dvr, which means that the employees can see what ever I am doing with the DVR, watching all 8 channels at once, reviewing footage, full screen on one camera, etc. I don't want that, I want them to only be able to see the drive thru camera.

So I'll be deciding on a 8-channel DVR soon and I need the video feed to one of the cameras to display on a separate monitor in a way that it is separate and static from the dvr monitor output. Can that be done? or do I HAVE to have a separate dvr for that monitor?

Four possible ways to do it:

1. Use a DVR that has a "spot" output and feed that to the other monitor.

2. Split the feed from the camera to the DVR so you're sending it to both DVR and monitor, using something like this: 188154_1.jpg

3. If it's a proper CCTV monitor, it probably has "loop-through" inputs, so you could run the camera directly into an input on the monitor, then back to the DVR from the looped output.

4. Some DVRs will also have loop-through inputs, so each input channel will also have an output that you can feed directly to the other monitor.

I have a hard time spending $300-$400 on a 17in cctv lcd screen. So how would this work out?:

If I get the T-splitter you mentioned in the post above, split the video feed from the camera before it goes into the DVR, run one split into the BNC to VGA converter and one into the DVR input, and then from the converter run a VGA cord into the monitor. Would that give me the static live feed of that one camerathat I am looking for?

BNC to VGA converter

188154_1.jpg

OR

the current setup with the monitor at the drive thru area has a monitor connected to what I can only assume to be a composite video RCA to VGA converter

188391_1.jpg

from the converter box, the BNC cable runs to where the old DVR was and was connected to the BNC output, which fed to drive thru screen what my office screen showed. I want the drive thru screen to be a live static feed from one camera.

If I keep the current setup and put a T-splitter between the camera and the DVR would that give me what I want?

did any of that make sense?

did any of that make sense?

Not really, but I get the gist

So if I follow: your office screen connected to a VGA or HDMI output from the DVR, and the composite out from the DVR runs into the VGA converter to then feed the drive-thru monitor, so both have the same display.

If that's the case, you can leave the existing setup in place... add the T-splitter to the incoming camera feed, and send it to the DVR input, and to the converter box, and that should be it.

IF you're replacing the DVR, though, check for a "spot" output - if it has that, that gives you the ability to send a specific camera (or usually, a sequence of cameras) to the output independent of the main screen. It would be preferable to hook the adapter box to that, not only because it gives you the ability to control what camera goes to the drive-thru screen, but splitting the camera signal WILL cause a minor drop in quality, while using the spot output will not.

And again, if you get a DVR with loop-through inputs, you can run the camera into the DVR, and then back out from that camera channel to the monitor, which also avoids the quality-loss problem.

Almost. I almost understand the part on the getting a DVR with the loop through or spot output, but I'm now kinda having trouble understanding the difference between the two.

as far as the setup i have, I have 8 cameras installed, BNC wires running all into my office. One LCD monitor inside my office to view the DVR, and one monitor in the drive thru area to monitor the camera that watches the drive thru. The monitor at the drive thru needs to have a live static feed of the ONLY the drive thru camera. I DO NOT want the monitor at the drive thru to have the same display as the office. If I am in the office doing a playback or watching a single screen to watch an employee, I do not want the drive thru to see that I am watching someone. So, the drive thru needs to stay static on the drive thru camera.

does that clear things up?

Oh yeah, I totally understood what you need to do, it was just your description of the setup that was sorta random - took a couple read-throughs to get it.

Spot output is a separate output on most DVRs that let you display any one camera independent of the main output. Some also allow you to configure a sequence - so for example, if you had one camera watching the menu board, and another on the entrance to the DT lane, you could have it flip back and forth between them.

Loop-through means each input also has its own output that sends that channel back out - many DVRs have this, but not all.

Either of these would give you a way to send the single camera out to a separate monitor without splitting the camera feed. The splitter will work, but again, potentially with a small drop in image quality... so if either of the other two methods are available, they're preferable. If not though, not the end of the world.

Okay, all that being said, is there an 8 channel DVR that you can recommend that has those type of features? Image quality isn't that big a deal for the drive thru, the worker doesn't need to see how symmetrical the customer's face is, just be able to see that there is someone there, in the case that the headset malfunctions. If I can just slap a T-splitter an be done with it then the Proline-8 will be just fine.

hi if you need notebook and iphone then dont go proline. they and not mac supported.

i would stick to the links soundy has posted. full mac and iphone units with new apps comming out soon.

another good way to see how good a dvr is on iphone is to look at the app store website and look at the download counts for the software. or see how good screen shots are.

proline dont even bother with images on app store.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/proline-uk-electronics-ltd/id453435655?mt=8

dahua the DVRs that have been recommended.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idmss/id438715770?mt=8

hi if you need notebook and iphone then dont go proline. they and not mac supported.

i would stick to the links soundy has posted. full mac and iphone units with new apps comming out soon.

another good way to see how good a dvr is on iphone is to look at the app store website and look at the download counts for the software. or see how good screen shots are.

proline dont even bother with images on app store.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/proline-uk-electronics-ltd/id453435655?mt=8

dahua the DVRs that have been recommended.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idmss/id438715770?mt=8

Thanks for the input, I was going to be looking into that next. By PROLINE I meant the model of the DVR, not the cctv app. But good point. I should make sure I know how to connect through my macbook and iphone before jumping the boat. Thanks!

Okay, got the DVR installed, everything works fine so far, but I cannot get the remote viewing to work. I can't find any open ports to use that aren't blocked.

My DSL ISP is AT&T and I have a dynamic IP. I have tried all day to use No-IP.com and I cannot understand the instructions. So I have either become mentally disabled or the instructions are designed for someone that has A LOT of networking experience. I would rather not have to upgrade to static IP through AT&T because it is $15.00/mo. Which means it would cost me $180/yr to remotely view my cameras like 3-4 times a year. Which is a pointless cost. Can someone help me?

The modem I am connected to is the Netopia 3347-02.

The modem I am connected to is the Netopia 3347-02.

That is right up my alley. I've configured more of those than I can remember. I'll write something up that will take you step by step. Trying to find one in the garage so I can take some screenshots.

Hi,

I doubt that AT&T DSL is blocking the ports, but I could be wrong. It could vary from city to city, but we have AT&T DSL, and they dont block any of our ports.

Just want to make sure that you are getting an IP through the DHCP process. If your DVR's IP is not within the DHCP range of the router, you may not be able to forward the ports which may have caused the illusion of thinking your ports are blocked. What is the LAN IP of your DVR?

First, when you access the router's interface, does it look similar to this? There were different firmware versions sent out with these DSL routers. If yours looks like this, we're in business.

Netopia01.jpg.fe9e6530ed363128eacda385c778bcaa.jpg

hope this helps. netopias are annoying to work with.

I forwarded ports 7777, 8888, 8080.

I tried to use no-ip and even downloaded and set up the no-ip client as per the instructions on the no-ip website and still doesn't work

1652840635_Screenshot2012-04-19at9_48_44PM.thumb.png.f0d104877cc3e4431488c4d6ef29bbde.png

Duplicate each entry using UDP as well.

Also, are you trying to connect to the DVR using the WAN IP on a computer that is behind the router? May not work.

Additionally, all 3 ports need to have the same number as referenced below.

Netopia09.jpg.ab56b5f3fcf61355a4cfafb5d369f4a3.jpg

Edited by Guest

Duplicate each entry using UDP as well.

I already tried to do that as well

Also, are you trying to connect to the DVR using the WAN IP on a computer that is behind the router? May not work.

If I cannot use the WAN IP then when should I be using?