BobS0327

Need advice on DVR purchase

I'm looking for a DVR that will support up to 8 channels. It's my understanding that Dahua is a very reputable brand. Unfortunately, I believe that the Dahua DVR is sold in the U.S. under other brand names. Thus, can someone recommend a brand that is truly a Dahua DVR? Otherwise, can someone recommend an alternative quality DVR?

I currently have 5 cameras. four of the five cameras have a horizontal resolution of 650TV Lines. The fifth is a dome camera installed on my front porch which I believe is 560 TV Lines. I will need facial recognition quality from the dome camera on the front porch.

Finally, I wish to input Passive Infra Red motion detectors to the DVR to start recording of the various security zone areas when PIR is triggered is triggered in that area.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

What dvr have you been using?

All newer dvr's will handle your mix of cameras, not even an issue to consider. And all I've seen have alarm inputs as well. They all have most basic functions you'd expect from any dvr but they will differ mostly when it comes to resolution capability per channel, as well as how many hard drives/size it can handle. Compression schemes will differ too. Also backup media will differ, such as writing to a cd/dvd drive in the unit verses a usb drive or a combination of the two. Common wisdom is the better quality full featured dvs cost bucks and many don't come with a hard drive- an added expense as well.

These dvr's are recommended often:

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/English/product.aspx?type=61&&css=1

I use a q-see 408 which has D1 on the first two channels and offers HD1 or CIF throughout.

http://q-see.com/products/product_description.php?cId=34&pId=58&id=34&pid=27

It can generally be found with an included 500gb hard drive in it already. It has no fan so it's completely silent- something often overlooked when considering and which I really appreciate. I've found it to be flexible and overall a super performer over the past year. For product support, q-see is more online documentation/support chat help. It's tough to reach an actual person, so consider that if you're not tech savvy for setting up remote viewing. But q-see offers a range of 8 channel dvr's as well. I can only speak to the 408- a nice dvr for residential without costing a ton.

Good luck with your choices!

What dvr have you been using?

I've been using Zoneminder which is a Linux software based DVR. Unfortunately, there isn't any easy way to interface the PIR security zones from my home security system to the Zoneminder application.

I'd rather make a fairly substantial investment in my DVR to provide a high quality resolution on two of the channels for which I would require good facial recognition. These two channels would be at the front and back door.

In other words, I'd rather make a one time investment in a quality product rather than go with something inferior and then realize later on that I have to upgrade. Bottom line, I'd have to say it would be a once and done deal.

Facial recognition and internet access using IE and possibly Mozilla Firefox are high priorities.

Well consider your budget and buy the best you can afford. You can take a look at a Dahua ESDV-PROLINE-8, which looks to be a good dvr as well. The one I have, the q-see 408 really falls right into what you're looking for, doing everything you need. But if you want an expensive superior grade dvr, consider your budget and spend big bucks. A Dahua ESDV-FULLD1-8, dropping in a hard drive could be the ticket for you as well.

I use a q-see 408 which has D1 on the first two channels and offers HD1 or CIF throughout

Are dvrs with all channel d1 really expensive or is it a space issue?

I'm looking for a DVR that will support up to 8 channels. It's my understanding that Dahua is a very reputable brand. Unfortunately, I believe that the Dahua DVR is sold in the U.S. under other brand names. Thus, can someone recommend a brand that is truly a Dahua DVR?

Dahua. Per Shockwave's suggestions: ESDV-PROLINE-8 or ESDV-FULLD1-8.

Anything that does D1 resolution will give you the highest resolution you can get out of analog (720x240). Beyond that, it's all in the quality of your cameras and how tight an area you can zoom in on.

Dahua. Per Shockwave's suggestions: ESDV-PROLINE-8 or ESDV-FULLD1-8

The PROLINE specs are as follows:

The PROLINE D1 Resolution(720x480) Each channel Records Simultaneously at 7 FPS MAX, 60 FPS for the whole unit and the FULLD1 has D1 Resolution(704x480) Each channel Records Simultaneously at real time 30 FPS MAX, 240 FPS for the whole unit.

I have two dome cameras installed at my front/back door and need good facial at both doors. Thus my question is: Can the PROLINE give me good facial recognition if I devote these two cameras to D1 and the remaining three cameras to CIF if this type of resolution split can even be done?

Also, 7 FPS seems really slow. It's my understanding the a TV picture is 30 FPS. Thus at 7 FPS it seems that the picture quality may not be all that great. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanx

I have two dome cameras installed at my front/back door and need good facial at both doors. Thus my question is: Can the PROLINE give me good facial recognition if I devote these two cameras to D1 and the remaining three cameras to CIF if this type of resolution split can even be done?

Yes, it can... but why not just record them all at D1?

Recognition isn't just a factor of the DVR's resolution setting. You ideally want to position the camera to allow you to either tighten the view as much as possible, or have it as close as possible to the subject. The more of the frame is filled with the person's face, the easier it will be to recognize them - even a tight shot where the person's face fills the frame at CIF will be more effective than a wide shot at D1.

Also, 7 FPS seems really slow. It's my understanding the a TV picture is 30 FPS. Thus at 7 FPS it seems that the picture quality may not be all that great. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FPS has *zero* effect on the picture quality... just the "smoothness" of movement. If someone is standing at your door, you're not going get any more detail at 30fps than you would at 1fps, you'll just get 30 times as many individual images. And of course, you'll use 30 times more drive space. 7fps is more than sufficient in most cases, unless you're capturing something that's fast-moving.

Check this for some samples of different frame rates: http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

Man, no one mentioned Qvis? I've got the 8-channel Zeus and its great. Got everything you need like 7fps D! on all 8, single HDD connection, alarm/ptz connection, networking and CHEAP.

Sean may be able to confirm, but I believe the Proline is the same model as the Zeus, both made by Dahua.

....I'd rather make a one time investment in a quality product rather than go with something inferior and then realize later on that I have to upgrade.

Bob, you are a very wise man! " title="Applause" />